Curse Fedora everytime and everywhere, but still you will be using their technologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
Curse Fedora everytime and everywhere, but still you will be using their technologies in the future.

Whatever, I'm going to write will not please everyone, but still I'll do!

Recently in Februrary 2008, with other Fedora ambassadors and contributors we were at FOSDEM. Yes, yet again, we all wore our blue ambassador t-shirt with pride.

Everyone in the Fedora team talked pretty much what they do at the Fedora Project to the public and how important it is ( from koji, packaging, transifex, OLPC, translation, R, FEL .... ). Ok stop ! I should rephrase my sentence "how important it is for the users".

We had many visitors at the Fedora booth. Many were RHEL users and using Fedora at home. Compared to last year, this time, many RHEL users were gathering at the Fedora Booth and talking with us. It was rather fruitful to me listening to their needs, especially I'll soon join the real professional work life.

Nevertheless, I was fed up, but REALLY FED UP, with random comments such as:
" I quit fedora because of yum "
" I quit fedora because of selinux "
" I quit fedora because X, Y and Z "
" I quit fedora because fedora's KDE had always the bluecurve theme "

Ok, some people have different opinions. So I do, while talking politics. Well I ignored those comments.

Today, while having a glance to my rss feeds, what do I find ?
"Ubuntu Gets SELinux". I quickly flew over a few more words:

"This is the result of the amazing work of the ubuntu-security and ubuntu-hardened teams."

Ha, there is something wrong here !

First, some previous users quit fedora because of SELinux, in favour of Ubuntu which doesn't support it. But now Ubuntu gets SELinux ? Hmm who is not listening to its users ?

Second, this is the result of amazing work of DanWalsh and his colleagues. The credit goes to them, and NOT ubuntu-security and ubuntu-hardened teams.

I don't recall where I have seen this phrase, but it sounds truthfully true and I give credit to that writer.

In FedoraLand, people talk "Linux" and in UbuntuLand people talk "Ubuntu".

You might be thinking that I'm bashing, Ubuntu well no. I just don't find the Logic in it. After all there is no sense of community in the UbuntuLand.

Another thing I've noted at FOSDEM this year that, those who met me last year did stop by to say "hi, how are you doing ?" I did the same whenever I went to get myself a break or a drink. Now who are the ones who stopped by ? Those were CentOS guys, Opensuse, a kopete developer, AMSN developers(thanks for the t-shirt), some are unaffiliated.

Ok, let's slow down a moment, I think CentOS guys (Dag, Karanbir, Dries, and the guy with the white hair I met at Chemnitz2007 and FOSDEM) are a rock solid team.

The RPM family is really a family. If this isn't social, I don't know how to call it.

On Fedora IRC channels, Ubuntu guys need X, Y and Z on IRC, fedora guys simplify their life. Debian guys need something or patches from Fedora KDE contributors, Rex, Kevin and others give them.

Well after all, why can't there be ground for real collaboration and really community ? Ok, someone last time said "because you have Red Hat". What's the problem? I'm not a software engineer, but microelectronics, sometimes I need help to code other than VHDL and Tcl. Red Hat engineers (Rahul, Jesse, Jeremy, Max, to name a few) are there to give me that help I need. Please don't take that away from me. Yes, sometimes, some scolded me because of my stupid hacks to get something working, but I deserved those. At least I learnt pretty nice things from the Fedora community.

Have a look at this title Bet you didn't know Linux could do this!". In UbuntuLand, it would be called "Bet you didn't know Ubuntu could do this!".

If you are thinking that Fedora should be popping more "Fedora" words in their title, I think you are wrong ! While Fedora contributors think "community" and shaking hands with CentOS and OpenSuse, others are just having a glimpse at the windows and waiting the perfect time to steal.

*clunixchit.blogspot.com/2008/03/curse-fedora-everytime-and-everwhere.html

may be an eye-opener :rolleyes:

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
Re: Curse Fedora everytime and everywhere, but still you will be using their technolo

Exactly, very valid points. I have always said Ubuntu is about Ubuntu.

Fedora was, is and will be my dearest distro :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Curse Fedora everytime and everywhere, but still you will be using their technolo

I agree.. ubuntu and users haf that sense of eliteness in GNU/Linux land... This bad for the Linux community as a whole!

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback

well,Agrees almost to all points.I simply hate people using "ubuntu" instead of "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" in ubuntu forums :rolleyes: also remember rightly Ubuntu is a leecher from Debian Testing repo :rolleyes:

all went nullified - Ubuntu is successful in showing the world what Linux is!they have nicely packaged and shown what GNU/Linux offers :-|
world now knows GNU/Linux may be bcoz of the aggressive market/pushing of Ubuntu by Cannonical and Ubuntu community :p

still,as a old RH user(u were kids that time ;) ),I think we aint gives the proper credit to RH team.(but SELinux and all they bundled in fedora for their test work later to include on RHEL thing!)
There is/was a long protest that RH uses Fedora as a testing platform for inclusion in their proprietary RHEL . :-| thus,fedora users as "guinea pigs"(no,no offense!)

if Fedora is a true community distro,RH should completely free it!let RH give their development inputs to fedora though :)

legolas

Padawan

I don't know much about it. But, I very well understand your point and your cogent arguments, it certainly is something to ponder upon, if not agreed as an eye-opener.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

all went nullified - Ubuntu is successful in showing the world what Linux is!they have nicely packaged and shown what GNU/Linux offers :-|
world now knows GNU/Linux may be bcoz of the aggressive market/pushing of Ubuntu by Cannonical and Ubuntu community :p
+1. Would Ubuntu be the next Linux bully on the block??!! Time to ponder...

still,as a old RH user(u were kids that time ;) ),I think we aint gives the proper credit to RH team.(but SELinux and all they bundled in fedora for their test work later to include on RHEL thing!)
+1, most of the innovations come from the Fedora stables.

There is/was a long protest that RH uses Fedora as a testing platform for inclusion in their proprietary RHEL . :-| thus,fedora users as "guinea pigs"(no,no offense!)
+1 again. This happens with openSUSE too!

Ok, this is interesting:

*www.linuxjournal.com/article/9951

Use of Linux by professionals!

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux

Good article.very valid points.

but for me personally,I tried many versions of fedora core(it was the first Linux distro i tried) and fedora was very slow(at least on my hardware then)
moreover i felt that it was bundled with a lot of unnecessary stuff for an average desktop Linux user(i feel SeLinux is not at all necessary and it slows down things)

mediator

Technomancer

^You have no idea what SELinux is! But if u don't want it, u can simply disable it during the install stage itself or even afterwards and u can remove all the unnecessary stuff by customizing the install.

Sykora

I see right through you.

I simply hate people using "ubuntu" instead of "Linux" or "GNU/Linux" in ubuntu forums also remember rightly Ubuntu is a leecher from Debian Testing repo

I agree.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux

^You have no idea what SELinux is! But if u don't want it, u can simply disable it during the install stage itself or even afterwards and u can remove all the unnecessary stuff by customizing the install.
SELinux is additional security that runs behind the normal Linux security. Note that I say behind normal Linux security. This means that SELinux only gets referred to if your request passes the normal Linux security.

Do I need SELinux?
The honest answer to that is, as a desktop user, no. Normal, non-SELinux, is probably secure enough for you.

source

I personally tried fedora with SELinux turned off and on.I could notice a considerable decrease in boot time and increase in overall responsiveness when SELinux was off.

this is all because of the aggressive marketing.

no distro is above another in the hands of an extreme user, for in the end, even ubuntu can be converted to fedora or vice versa.

these people from the windows legacy go around telling my distro is better than yours, the way they compare windows 98 and windows 2000 or what ever else. But when it comes to linux, linux is linux. Even DSL can be converted to Ubuntu Gutsy.

But as far as naming the OS goes, linux is linux when it has been suffitiently customised, but its Ubuntu if you use the set of things canonical expects you to, and its Fedora if you use the set of things Red Hat expects you to.

So Prakash's Debian is not debian anymore as he uses his own custom built kernel and a different gnome version from the vanilla gnome that the debian DVD downloaders get.

And as for the statement that Fedora is a testing platform for RHEL, there is no reason it shouldn't be. If you need a similar OS based on the same platform but not a "Testing Pig", use a derivative. The same holds good to OpenSuSE.

And once again: Ubuntu is ubuntu as canonical markets it that way. Infact, its benifitial in some ways. for example, I am sick and tired of PC vendors like Acer claiming "Linux Preloded. It will have limited functionality till another OS is installed.", because I can never know the exact package they are giving unless I know what the OS is. And hence I will assume its a "limited functionality" distro like DSL. But actually, its far from it.

Final Comment:

Who the hell told you that you become elite in the linux community by using Ubuntu ? Eliteness comes only if you have done a hard to do thing, or have your own custom distro, or if you use a Linux From Scratch type distro like Gentoo, Arch, etc.

Eliteness is never gained by using a prebuilt spoon fed OS like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Damn These n00bs...

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux

Final Comment:

Who the hell told you that you become elite in the linux community by using Ubuntu ? Eliteness comes only if you have done a hard to do thing, or have your own custom distro, or if you use a Linux From Scratch type distro like Gentoo, Arch, etc.

Eliteness is never gained by using a prebuilt spoon fed OS like Ubuntu and Linux Mint.

Damn These n00bs...
Rightly said.I agree with u.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

no distro is above another in the hands of an extreme user, for in the end, even ubuntu can be converted to fedora or vice versa.
Nope, not exactly, there'd still be a lot of differences. Even between something as close as debian and ubuntu.

mediator

Technomancer

Neither it is gained by using any "specific" distro like "Gentoo, LFS, and all the distros u wud like to term as 'elite' or by hoping em all one by one and then saying I have 'experienced' em all". If thats the meaning of elite for u, then I suggest u start coding, make kernel from scratch and use all the applications u built. That means u shud be knowing everything in the OS u use.

Elites can be windows based too u know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom