Creative ZEN Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

sourav123

Thinking Different
Here is my review on the new Creative ZEN. Visit my blog to read the review with pictures.

I bought the ZEN around a month ago from London as it was not available in India at that time. The ZEN has been released in three versions, 4GB, 8GB and 16GB. As this was my first experience with portable music players (PMP), I went for the 4GB version. The cost when buying from amazon is £89.99 which is almost Rs. 7300/-

Design: The ZEN comes in only a jet black colour. The size is almost that of an average credit card and easily fits in your pocket. This is similar to the new iPod NANO 3rd generation versions. The screen is around 2.5" and supports 16 million colours. The navigation keys are designed very thoughtfully to minimize the number of controls. It features a standard 4 way navigation key with select button in centre which also doubles up as the volume controller when playing media files. Also there is a key for selecting menu options, a key for going back to the previous screen, a key for playing/pausing media and a customisable key which you can assign to a function of your choice. Overall, the design is quite sleek and visually appealing.

Features: When it comes to features, this small PMP beats all others hands down. Creative has done a lot of improvements in this player. Among audio files, it suppors playback of MP3/WMA/WAV and DRM free AAC files. So all your tracks you have purchased for your iPod can be played back on ZEN. When it comes to playing video, ZEN supports playback of MPEG-3/WMV/XVID and DIVX files. Also the Media Explorer software bundled with the CD can convert unsupported formats so that it can be played back on the ZEN. Also you can view your pictures using the ZEN and it also supports slide show of pictures while allowing you to listen to a song at the same time. It also includes an FM tuner with 30 preset channels and also a voice recorder. You can also transfer your contacts, calendars and tasks from Outlook to ZEN. But possibly the best feature of ZEN is the support for external SD/SDHC cards. Although you cannot directly copy SD card contents to your ZEN, this is a pretty nice feature if all you want is to temporarily increase the disk space of the ZEN.

Performance: The ZEN has a pretty impressive battery life. It can play audio songs for approximately 24 hours and video files for about 4 hours which is pretty good for long journeys and all those international flight trips. The only downside is there is no wall plug charger included and you have to charge the ZEN from the USB port of your Desktop/Laptop. But you can easily find a wall plug adapter from an electronics vendor near you. The sound quality is fine when using the bundled earphones but hardcore audiophiles may want to use their own headphones/earphones.

Final Comments: Although the ZEN may not have the style statement associated with iPod, when it comes to sheer features, ZEN is a clear winner. Also it supports a lot of formats and if you are an average windows user, you do not need to install any extra software and can sync music using a media player like windows media player or real player.

Final Rating: 4.5/5.

Last edited:
OP
sourav123

sourav123

Thinking Different
Hi Gigacore,

Thanks for your comments. I have not added images at it may take up the readers bandwidth. You can always visit my blog to read the review with images.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i was gng to get it and had nearly finalised about it...however, Cnet.com users have given it terrible reviews so i changed my mind...

Hi All,

I purchased this product last month and I am facing a peculiar problem :mad: .
I was listening to the music and watching photos as well :cool: . Suddenly, scrolling between the photos, one photo was having incompatible format :rolleyes: and now, the player is showing " There is a problem displaying this photo" and it got hanged :eek: . I am not able to shut down or get away with this. Can anyone please help me on this?

P.S. I am a new member and this is my first post :)

thanks for the reply......

I found a way anyways.....there is RESET button just opposite to memory card slot.......take one pin and reset the player. ;)

Last edited:

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Creative ZEN 8 GB is the worst product I have ever bought from Hong Kong...its battery died after 6 months of use and no authorised dealer in Delhi or say India has its battery :-x :-x :-x ..they ask wat the hell is creative zen photo ??

its lying useless in my shelf now.... :-x

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Creative ZEN 8 GB is the worst product I have ever bought from Hong Kong...its battery died after 6 months of use and no authorised dealer in Delhi or say India has its battery :-x :-x :-x ..they ask wat the hell is creative zen photo ??

its lying useless in my shelf now.... :-x

I would say that's bad luck. In terms of support, Bangalore's creative support center is much much better. They are well knowledged about creative's products and my collegue got his Zenvision:W repaired (after a fall from 2mt height).

and btw, it's the support person that is bad and not the product.

Last edited:

xbonez

NP : Crysis
i'd just like to add that i've been using a Zen Vison M for around2-3months now and it rocks...awesome music quality and video playback is flawless too

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
I bought the Zen 8GB from amazon.com last winter on the christmas sale for around $ 150 and I must say I am very much impressed. I am only facing a peculiar problem from time to time, the player hangs when transferring files via USB. But resetting the same solves the problem. Maybe a updated firmware will solve it permanently but I have not tried it yet. But this has the best sound, better than the ipods of the same class. The supplied creative headphones are ok, but I prefer separate sony headphones which I bought from Best Buy (bestbuy.com) for around $ 14. I do not regret my purchase.

arunks

Hey here is the aks
what is the price of 2GB creative zen and 4GB creative zen in india..???

I wanna buy one...
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------

I wanna buy one...

arunks

Hey here is the aks

I wanna buy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom