Creating a Multiplayer CS session

rixon.d9

Journeyman
Me and My 9 other friends decided to play counter strike this weekend. Preperations have begun. But nobody knows how to setup a server ? We have all installed CS 1.6 game. Wifi and LAN both options are available.
Can some1 please provide links for tutorials which explains how to connect 8-10pcs together for gaming.
Internet speed at my place is 10MBPS
Do we need to be running same version of windows ?

SunE

Professional Newbie
Hey there. If you wanna play locally(i.e. among yourselves) then you don't need internet connection. All the PCs need to be connected to the same network. It doesn't matter which version of windows you have.

Choose the PC which has the best specs(CPU and RAM) and make that your server. To make a server simply go to your install directory and launch the application named HLDS.
The settings are pretty self explanatory. Then once the server is up, open up the game in all the computers. Go to Find Server option and go to the LAN tab. Double click on your server from the list and will be connected. Enjoy! :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
u need a Hub for LAN connectivity.

use a tool "IP Messenger" to check for other users (once LAN is setup)
and after that u can start a server session from the Menu of CS 1.6

me & my frnds used to play CS, NFS MW & Tennis in LAN :cool:

DVJex

In the zone
As SunE said, you guys all need to be on the same network. Internet speed and windows version doesnt matter.
If you have as many people as computers, you need to start a listen server and not dedicated. For that just start the game, and from the menu start a server. The other guys can just connect via the 'Find servers' button in the menu, lan tab.

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
u need a Hub for LAN connectivity.
Is it necessary to configure the HUB ? what about IP addresses of all the systems ?

If you have as many people as computers, you need to start a listen server and not dedicated. For that just start the game, and from the menu start a server. The other guys can just connect via the 'Find servers' button in the menu, lan tab.

So in my case we have 9 pcs and 9 persons..Which type of server should I start.

DVJex

In the zone
IP addresses dont matter as long as all of them are in one network.
Listen since you can host and play on the same PC. Make a dedicated server only if you have an extra PC.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
dedicated server is not necessary just create a new game with the best system and tell others to join that using "connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx: xxxxx"(connect<space>IP: PORT). If you are planning to stream the game play then only use HLDS. Regarding network as long as you can ping the server there should not be any problem with connecting.

SunE

Professional Newbie
If all your computers have wireless connectivity then you don't need any hub or other dedicated networking peripherals. Simply start a hotspot from your command prompt and make all the computers join it. Then go to your game and Start a New Game on any one computer and join from Find Servers from all other computers.

Seriously bro it's CS we're talking about here. It's no rocket science. :p

Top Bottom