Create A Home Network Of 2 PC through Phone Modem In Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

yogesh1990

Right off the assembly line
Hey Guys I recently Bought An HP 5118 notebook pc.
I want to connect my laptop with my own comp through a Phone Modem by
connectin both ofthe PC`s diretly through a telephone wire.Now is That
Possible ???(without A telephone connection or a router.)

My laptops config

1.66 dual core processor,1gb ram ,Windows XP Home (registerd)
Intel lan card ,A phone modem
My PC`s Config

2.8ghz Intel processor,256 mbram,Windows Xp Pro (pirated),Motorola sm56
modem,Daviacom 10/100 eternet controller

If its Not Possible I There any alternete way Through which i can create a
networko f my computers??like through LAN .

adit_sen

In the zone
It is practically not possible to up a LAN between two computers using just a telephone cable.

The best option would be to get a crossover LAN cable (available from nearly any comp store). Once done with dat, plug the cable into the ethernet cards of the two comp's, and manually configure them so that both have the same subnet, but have an IP address with a differece of 1. For example, you can set your PC's IP address to 192.168.1.1 and ur Laptop's to 192.168.1.2 . Then just share as you would do on a normal network and you're good to go.

peace..
aditya

OP
Y

yogesh1990

Right off the assembly line
But I have Heard dat comps may be connected through PHONE MODEMS Without INTERNET OR TELEPHONE CONNECTION

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
naa ....just get a LAN cable and hook it up with the 2 comps and enter 192.168.1.1 on 1 and 192.168.1.2 in the other . Right click on each drive and properties and enable sharing u should be done.......

mediator

Technomancer
Well ya its possible......the modem u must have heard of is called NULL MODEM and it is not a device like normal pc modem but simply a crossover wire like crossover USB or RJ45...For more info on null modem google it.
So the best way is to put up ethernet between the pc's or better if u have wireless functionality in both connect them wirelessly!

adit_sen

In the zone
samrulez said:
...naa ....just get a LAN cable and hook it .......

I'm sure you mean cross LAN cable rite? Cuz as far as my knowledge goes, if you use a normal LAN cable, you need a router...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

peace..
aditya

adit_sen

In the zone
I'm sorry, but I have to argue on this one.

Did a bit of research, and you cant connect two computers by using just a plain ethernet cable. You need a router or a hub. The only way you can connect two comps directly will be with a crossover LAN cable..

peace..
aditya

sourav

In the zone
adit_sen said:
I'm sorry, but I have to argue on this one.

Did a bit of research, and you cant connect two computers by using just a plain ethernet cable. You need a router or a hub. The only way you can connect two comps directly will be with a crossover LAN cable..

peace..
aditya

That's why i wanted to know. I tried alot of times to connect my computer to another one.

mediator

Technomancer
@adit_sen....yea thats right plain rj45 cable cant be used ...but i never mentioned plain cable! Yes u need crossover cable...sorry if i didnt mention that....but i think everyone assumes "crossover" when u mention rj45 cable, isnt it?
And i have home network of just 2 pc's with rj45 !!

@sourav : search the forum...topic like "connecting 2 pcs etc" has been covered plenty of times in details..believe me. You can search in ma posts!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom