CPU temperature reading abnormally high

blacrobous

Broken In
Ive have a quad core Q8400. Ive never actually bothered to check the temperature readings and used the intel stock heat sink for about six months. Recently out of curiosity i checked the temperature reading through speed fan and the CPU temp was 121C ....i was dumbstruck and asked my friend a suggestion. He told intel stock heatsinks suck and told me to buy a coolermaster Hyper TX3 with some thermal fusion 400 paste.

Yesterday i got em and installed everything and i checked again. Surprisingly the CPU temp is same at 121c but the individual Core temperature are well below 40C.

Now what i want to know is Is my CPU temp sensor gone mad? because the mobo is quite an old one. It is DG35EC from intel.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try checking the temps with CoreTemp, RealTemp or HWInfo to see if its the same. Speedfan is reported to be erratic at times.

OP
B

blacrobous

Broken In
Checked it with all the three softwares you mentioned above. Every one of them shows core temperatures in the range of 35-45C. In Hwinfo the CPU temperature is showing as 121C and core temps are again in range of 35-45C. Im really getting mad :-?

OP
B

blacrobous

Broken In
*i40.tinypic.com/2lxtgp.jpg

Here it is i put them all in one window :)

And yeah forgot to mention..In the bios under hardware monitoring the CPU temp is being shown as 102C and internal temperature is 40C

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even mobo temp is pretty high. Is your system stable while idle and under load? I think there might be some sensor problem, if that is the case, nothing much to worry about. I have a 10 year old P4 in my home which used to show over 100C temp through monitoring softwares some 6-7 years back. Applying thermal paste etc. didn't help. System was stable btw. Just uninstalled the temp monitoring software for peace of mind. That system is still alive and kicking. ;)

BTW, that is also an Intel board.

OP
B

blacrobous

Broken In
ya system Runs just fine ... i am a Structural engineer and all the analysis Processes i run put heavy load on the CPU.....i was just concerned about this wierd temperatures readings. Thanks for the help . It's always better to confirm :)

OP
B

blacrobous

Broken In
the processor is just 6 months old before this i used to have a core 2 duo E7200. The system itself is 3-4 years old i guess

guru_urug

iGoogle
Just touch the heatsink and see if you can keep your finger on it fairly comfortably. Before that make sure the heatsink is touching the processor properly with a little heatsink compound in between the two. 121C is very hot, so if you can touch the heatsink and it doesnt feel too hot, then dont bother. Looks like a sensor problem as said above.

OP
B

blacrobous

Broken In
ya i can touch my heat sink and installed it yesterday. I applied the thermal compound and made sure the heat sink touches the CPU. And Btw ive had so many problems with this motherboard i want to change it and moreover i cant do any overclocking ( heard it isnt safe on an intel mobo). Any suggestions on what mobo i should buy ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
your best bet is to find some mobo based on P45( needs discrete GPU )/G45 chipset - get mobos from brands like MSi, Asus, Gigabyte or Biostar with DDr2 mem support - if you can't find any P45 chipset mobo your best bet is to get Gigabyte G41 Combo - which supports both DDR3 and DDR2 rams and also OCing ;-)

Top Bottom