CPU fan not moving

pmoff

Broken In
Hi all,
I have got a new assemble PC as per the digit forum advice. The specs are as follows:

Processor Intel Core i3 2100
Motherboard Intel DH67VR
RAM Transcend 2gb
HDD Seagate 500GB 7200.12
DVD Writer LG 22X SATA DVD
PSU -
Case Zebronics Bijli (with 450w PSU)
Keyboard & Mouse Logitech MK100

OS Windows 7 Ultimate

First day it worked ok. Then suddenly it rebooted on it's own and stopped switching on. I opened the case and found out that the person assembling the PC has connected the cpu fan to the port marked as rear fan in the mobo.So I reconnected the same to the cpu fan port with the correct color code.
Now the PC is working fine, but the cpu fan is not rotating at all. I have checked the BIOS, in hardware monitoring the cpu fan speed is showing 0. The OS is also not showing any error message.
Can you help me to pin the problem

Blue Ripazah

THE CHOSEN ONE
i think ur cpu fan has broken down......u need to get it fixed .....as ur stock cooler is not working properly.......get it replaced as it is in the warranty.........and in future make sure the assembler is educated enough

OP
P

pmoff

Broken In
Thank you boss.
Can the fan go out of order because initially it got connected to a wrong port. But the port I think is the port for rear fan the voltage etc. should be enough for the cpu fan.Any way I will get it examined and possibly replace it by Intel.

The other thing I noted is the person has not applied any thermal paste on the processor. Is it ok or should I get it applied now?

Please advise.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Please take you CPU.Cabinet to you vendor immediately and get things sorted out. AFAIK Intel will not cover warranty if the CPU/Heatsink is incorrectly installed. BTW heatsink will already have thermal compound pre-applied.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Thank you boss.
Can the fan go out of order because initially it got connected to a wrong port. But the port I think is the port for rear fan the voltage etc. should be enough for the cpu fan.Any way I will get it examined and possibly replace it by Intel.

The other thing I noted is the person has not applied any thermal paste on the processor. Is it ok or should I get it applied now?

Please advise.

No, do NOT apply any thermal paste now. But considering the possibility of Intel replacing your processor, the whole thing will depend on how the heat-sink was installed. If anything happens to processor due to mis-config of heat-sink, I don't think Intel will replace your processor.
Fingers crossed.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if cpu fan is not spinning, how is your pc able to boot? it should overheat & shutdown before even bios shows up. or you mean cabinet fan?

OP
P

pmoff

Broken In
The CPU fan, yes the CPU fan is not spinning. But I was able to work on the PC for 3-4 hours without causing any error to happen.
Is there any BIOS config to be tweaked.
Anyway I am taking the cabinet to the vendor for further checking.
Thanks all of you.

Dude..if your CPU Fan does not rotate..how are you using it for 3-4 hours? It should shut down within 2-5 minutes of boot up.

Top Bottom