CPU Cooler for AMD Phenom II X4 940

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
I own an AMD Phenom II X4 940 and I need a CPU cooler for it.

Consider the following factors :
- I intend to do some serious video editing, for a movie of half an hour or so in length.
- We have about 22GB of footage.
- Budget is 3.5k max but i would rather spend less and get a more VFM cooler for it.
- I will OC later.
- My cabinet is CM-Elite 334

I want to have the most bang for buck cooler at with great performance.

Config :
Phenom II X4 940 @ 3GHz
GA-MA790GP-UD4H
2x2GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz [Adding 2x2GB OCZ Titanium 800MHz]
CM-Elite 334
Corsair VX450W
Onboard GFX - HD3300 128MB+512MB shared VRAM
160GB + 500GB HDD's

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
3k bucks: *www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/pr...r_u120ex.htm?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==
2.5k bucks: *www.ocztechnology.com/products/cooling_products/ocz_vendetta_2_cpu_cooler

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for the links desii. Does the Vendetta 2 come with the fan? Is the TRUE 120 eXtreme worth the extra .5k?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can try Sunbeamtech core contact freezer 120mm or this OCZ vendetta 2 which is also good. Both of them use heatpipe-direct-touch :p

Acc to many sites SBCCF 120mm is slightly more better as compared with vendetta 2.

But TRUE 120mm is the best choice ie air cooler for AMD procs :p So it's worth spending around 4K for this one.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
OCZ Vendetta was able to cool Intel Core 2 Quad QX9650 to 50 Degrees only when it was running at 4 GHz and on full load.. just get it dude.. its awesome..

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Thanks for continued support. I am inclined for the TRUE 120 (non-black edition) as it is available for 3k. I'll get a quote on it and reply soon. I'm getting the OCZ RAM's for sure.:twisted:

Meanwhile: damngoodman999 where are you? Please join this discussion. :-o
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
OCZ Vendetta is also on my shortlist along with SCCF. I'll check out reviews. Can someone please post a comparitive review of CPU coolers? Someone had posted it on anoter thread. It was a test of 25 CPU coolers I think...

That might gimme an idea. But I'm willing to spend a lil' extra for a decrease in temp as I need my CPU to run as cool as possible...

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
btw, There is one more cooler "Megahalem". This one costs around 4k I think and beats Vendetta 2 easily and with a bettter fan, it cools down Nehalem to 22-23 degrees.

1) Prolimatech Megahalem
2) OCZ Vendetta 2
3) Thermalright TRUE 120 for LGA1366
4) Sunbeam Core contact freezer

that would be the priority order for me to search for.

Megahalem: *benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=285&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=15

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Sorry dude , i dint saw yet - finally u came to purchase CPU cooler gr8 . good luck on ur purchase

Go for Desi , Hell & topgear suggestion according the TRUE 120 & megahalems

My pick would be megahalems over TRUE 120

Before that check ur cabinet these 2 super coolers are big to close side panel ??

Then if u r going for megahalems find if u get AMD bracket for it !

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
damn it. Totally forgot that it's for AMD. Thanks damngoodman999 for reminding about that.

yes. megahalem is for LGA1366 and LGA775 and won't fit on AMD mobos. The next pick would be OCZ vendetta 2

I would pick this over the rest coz OCZ has good reach in Indian market compared to sunbeamtech or thermalright. And it does outperform TRUE 120.
Posted again:
also, since it costs 500 rupees less than TRUE 120, you can replace the stock cooler on vendetta 2 with a high performance fan like this 90CFM/19decibel (81CFM max and 20-32 decibel for stock fan) fan: *in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2272&id=6046

which is available for 550 bucks.

Last edited:

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
OCZ vendetta 2 just the job done & TRUE 120 is always ahead , the difference u find would be 2-4 degree TRUE 120 is lesser , if u find BUDGET then Go for OCZ vendetta 2 thats cool buy !

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
and don't forget to make an overclocking profile (if your BIOS supports that).. to overclock the CPU automatically to the highest stable score that you will reach.. otherwise.. the stock cooler is fine if you don't wanna overclock..

btw.. i'm also thinking of getting a cooler for my AMD Phenom II 720 BE..

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Sorry dude , i dint saw yet - finally u came to purchase CPU cooler gr8 . good luck on ur purchase
Go for Desi , Hell & topgear suggestion according the TRUE 120 & megahalems
My pick would be megahalems over TRUE 120
Before that check ur cabinet these 2 super coolers are big to close side panel ??
Then if u r going for megahalems find if u get AMD bracket for it !
Thanks for arriving here finally. Maybe trains from the south were late. :twisted: But I was waiting for u especially as you are Phenom IIer like me... :D

damn it. Totally forgot that it's for AMD. Thanks damngoodman999 for reminding about that.
yes. megahalem is for LGA1366 and LGA775 and won't fit on AMD mobos. The next pick would be OCZ vendetta 2
I would pick this over the rest coz OCZ has good reach in Indian market compared to sunbeamtech or thermalright. And it does outperform TRUE 120.
also, since it costs 500 rupees less than TRUE 120, you can replace the stock cooler on vendetta 2 with a high performance fan like this 90CFM/19decibel (81CFM max and 20-32 decibel for stock fan) fan: *in.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=in&act=detail&tbcate=2272&id=6046
which is available for 550 bucks.
You make sense. The 500 bucks will be well invested on a High performance fan rather than just the cooler.

OCZ vendetta 2 just the job done & TRUE 120 is always ahead , the difference u find would be 2-4 degree TRUE 120 is lesser , if u find BUDGET then Go for OCZ vendetta 2 thats cool buy !
Budget, I thought Vendetta 2 was cheaper... As I said, I have a budget of 3.5k. :razz:

Yup, give the extra 500 bucks to a mandir or so(bhagwan tera bhala karega). ^_^
I am giving it to CM High Performance Fan Mandir mostly. (CM (not cief minister) mera bhala karega).

TRUE, nothing comes close to it. :)
I take your word as you are THE OC man in the forum. However, is it worth the extra 500 bucks + 1000 bucks for push+pull?

and don't forget to make an overclocking profile (if your BIOS supports that).. to overclock the CPU automatically to the highest stable score that you will reach.. otherwise.. the stock cooler is fine if you don't wanna overclock..
btw.. i'm also thinking of getting a cooler for my AMD Phenom II 720 BE..
More about the OC profile later. I will definitely take advice from a lot of places b4 I start OCing. :razz:

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
UPDATE: Quotes for Coolers.

OCZ Vendetta 2 = 2.6k
Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120 Black Edition = 3.5k

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Although the prices have gone up it is still a pretty god damn good cooler. You cant go wrong with it. :)

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Yeah I take your word for that. But I have to look at the budget too. One more query. If I buy say X CPU Cooler, will I get all the supported CPU Brackets for it? Or if I upgrade in the future, then I might have to buy the brackets maybe?

ADDED : OCZ 2x2GB 800MHz DDR2 CL4 Titanium RAM ordered. Should be receiving it by tonight! :twisted: (Rs.2x1650 + Rs. 50 Shipping) = Rs. 3350.

Investing about the same in the Cooler.

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
Hey Tech

i wana ask some question before deciding CPU cooler ?

Which cabinet are u using ??

Up to how much speed u gona OC ??

Also consider COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 which really good , get which is available with 2 FANS its is also equals the performance of OCZ vendetta 2 ! same like TRUE 120 only 2-4 degree less

CM HYPER 212 - 2.3K 2fans one => 2.5K (worth the money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom