CPU and GPU upgrade (AMD and Radeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
I am extremely fickle minded, bro... I just want something thats good value for money.. Im not very eager to dish out over 10K for a gpu, because im still using a 3 year old LG crt monitor whose max resolution is 1280x1024... :p

But upto 10K sounds good for me.. Decent performance at decent price.. Which is why i bought a Phenom II over the I5-750.. I know the i5 is quite ahead of the 955 BE.. But i got the latter at under 6.5K..

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
No..you got me wrong..that is the max power consumption...Isnt it what u want to know? ;)

Yes, of course ;) Thanks :)

By that time we will be talking about Geforce 6xx and Radeon 7xxx, my friend!!!

Seriously?? r we looking at new 6 series green and 7 series red by Nov?
Even I am looking forward to getting a GPU around that time...I had initially decided on the MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk but well, if a 6 series partner card comes for around 15K, has almot the same TDP as the HAWK (or can be driven by the 550VX) and is not 1KM long, I will definitely get the newer versions!!

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
^^@Mario..

The cx430 u were planning to buy is V1... I called MD today..
it's price is 2350+ and they dont have v2 :(

Even I am looking forward to getting a GPU around that time...I had initially decided on the MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk but well, if a 6 series partner card comes for around 15K, has almot the same TDP as the HAWK (or can be driven by the 550VX) and is not 1KM long, I will definitely get the newer versions!!

At that price range; imo, the GTX 560 is the one u should be getting

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

7 series will probably come before bulldozer the way AMD is moving.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better. They bring Athlon 64 out of nowhere and it was hit. So was the Radeon 4800 series. And in ATi days recall Radeon 9700. Too much hype surrounding a product often leads to abnormally high costs, not meeting expectations and worst, a failed product.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
When Intel came out with the hexacore processors, they cost around $1000! But when AMD did the same a short while later, their Thuban cores cost around $200 more or less...

And at one point of time, they had the best dual cores... I used to have an Athlon 64 X2 dual core. With that and a 9500 GT from MSI, i played games up to World in Conflict and Dawn of War 2! It was a good CPU.. Nay, a great one!

Now, even the Phenom II dual cores look pretty delectable...

This is purely IMO... Intel offers great processing at a premium, but AMD offers very good processing at a budget cost...

Oh yeah, Intel has a massive advertising base...

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
1km long... Wahahahahahahahaha!!!!! good one, Mario... :D

See this man

*in.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1156/P7H55M_LX/websites/Global/products/xGrA4QggsKTKMJLW/w1BVhfgzhR1wktnL_70.jpg

See how close that x16 comes to the DIMM clips? I am scared even a 560 HAWK isnt going to fit in there!!!

^^@Mario..

The cx430 u were planning to buy is V1... I called MD today..
it's price is 2350+ and they dont have v2 :(

Hmm...too bad, they dont have v2...anyway, I am not buying, I just convinced my friend to upgrade his crap psu..V1 is definitely better than the frontech crap he has!!

At that price range; imo, the GTX 560 is the one u should be getting

Ya I targeted the 560 HAWK....but if 6 series stuff does come out by Nov and has similar TDP, price and length then I'll definitely get the new stuff!!

When Intel came out with the hexacore processors, they cost around $1000! But when AMD did the same a short while later, their Thuban cores cost around $200 more or less...

And at one point of time, they had the best dual cores... I used to have an Athlon 64 X2 dual core. With that and a 9500 GT from MSI, i played games up to World in Conflict and Dawn of War 2! It was a good CPU.. Nay, a great one!

Now, even the Phenom II dual cores look pretty delectable...

This is purely IMO... Intel offers great processing at a premium, but AMD offers very good processing at a budget cost...

Oh yeah, Intel has a massive advertising base...

Agreed!! For any budget PC, AMD is the way to go!!

7 series will probably come before bulldozer the way AMD is moving.

I thought BDs were supposed to hit this July??? By that count, 7xxx-s shud have hit already!! May be I heard wrong!

=======================================
Anyway 6950 is 10K+VAT..so out of the question!

Final configuration for my friend -->

Phenom II 965BE
Sapphire 6770
CX 430 V1

==================================

What the hell? Why is that image I linked to so small?

I tried doing in some html img attributes to it but it does not grow in size!!

What am I doing wrong?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought BDs were supposed to hit this July??? By that count, 7xxx-s shud have hit already!! May be I heard wrong!

=======================================
Anyway 6950 is 10K+VAT..so out of the question!

Final configuration for my friend -->

Phenom II 965BE
Sapphire 6770
CX 430 V1

==================================

What the hell? Why is that image I linked to so small?

I tried doing in some html img attributes to it but it does not grow in size!!

What am I doing wrong?

BD won't be available in retail until September. Your friend's config looks fine, And please do something about that image.

Last edited:

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Good stuff, Mario... I'm also rearing up for a GPU, but got no cash... :(

But first thing, i have to get a CPU cooler and a new case.. My current Gigabyte is good, but lacks ventilation... Going for a CM Elite 430... I like the idea of bottom mounted PSUs... :) it gives my comp a chance to let hot air out of its butt rather than the back of its head... :p

soumo27

@Mario

Yeah its always better than Frontech... :)

Well MD is also not having cx 400... they have cx 500.. but that is not 80+ certified, too. :(

Cilus

laborare est orare
6770 does slightly better in AA and AF than 6790 (6790 lesser texel and pixel rate than 6770)...only good thing I can see is 6790 mem bandwidth is double of 6770!!

But nail in coffin is this.. Max TDP for 6790 is 150W...for 6770 its ~100!!

Sorry not getting 6790...if he blows his rig despite the CX, he will literally hang me dude!! :p

I think 6770 is final!

Guys, just suggest a board partner now!! Sapphire/MSI others?? Whose custom cooler is better? and any OC-ed edition (toxic/vapor??) for 6770 ?

Hmm...6850 seems good! Price of 1GB version plz?

Mario, dont put misleading information withut understanding what you are writing. HD 6770 is just a re-branded HD 5770, based on the old juniper architecture and has 40 Texture unit and 16 ROPS.

HD 6790, on the other hand, based on the updated BART architecture which is far optimized version of the 5000 series architecture. their stream processors are far more efficient then 5000 series. A HD 6870 with its 1140 stream processors offers performance better than a HD 5850 with 1440 stream processor. Also the tessellation units of BART provide better tessellation performance.
Now HD 6790 is also having same number of stream processors, ROPs and Texturing units as HD 6770 but it is based on BART architecture and more efficient + HD 6790 has 256 bit memory bus, providing double the bandwidth of HD 6770. So its better than HD 6770 and HD 6770 does not provide better AA and AF performance. Check any review.

sukesh1090

Adam young
yes i also heard that hd 6770 and i think also hd 6750 are re branded models of their corresponding 5000 series and there is no performance difference.

soumo27

Well, isn't a 5850 better than a 6850???
I saw an online site quoting 5850 at 9.5K yesterday// Is it any good? And they are not stocking any 5850 locally, in Kolkata, I guess!! :|

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
5850 better than 6850, but recent drivers have narrowed down the gap. Plus the tessellation performance of the 6000 series is better than their respective 5000 series except 5770/6770 and 5750/6750 because they are the same cake with slightly different toppings.

So at the same price point, go for the newer product ie, 6850. It consumes less power, heats up less while delivering the same level of performance of a 5850.

soumo27

5850 better than 6850, but recent drivers have narrowed down the gap. Plus the tessellation performance of the 6000 series is better than their respective 5000 series except 5770/6770 and 5750/6750 because they are the same cake with slightly different toppings.

So at the same price point, go for the newer product ie, 6850. It consumes less power, heats up less while delivering the same level of performance of a 5850.
:|
yea i see... i am not buying it...just inquiring .. :smile:

sukesh1090

Adam young
but still i think he can play all games in 19" monitor(1366X768) with 6670 or 5770 for a long time at high settings.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
According to wikipedia, the HD7xxx will utilise smaller sized die, which will allow for more stream processors... Can you please explain what stream processors are? And is more stream processors better? Sorry, please bear with my newbie questions..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom