CPU and GPU upgrade (AMD and Radeon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
According to common sense, i dont think you should Crossfire or SLI on a MicroATX board.. Because of the less amount of space between the 2 GPUs... At least an ATX board is recommended, right?

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok!! Good news!! I have finally convinced him to go for the Saga PSU!! That too online!!

But CX430 is 2350+VAT at MD..so maybe might get that too!!

And I think 400W would be enough for his rig!!

So here's what I have been deciding on -

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Rev C3 (HDZ955FBK4DGM) or even 965 Rev C3 (HDZ965FBK4DGM) - hopefully within 7K!! :Fingerx:

PSU - CX430 V2 - 2.5K (guys, any issues with CX430 ?? )

GPU - Radeon 6770 - 7.5K

Total - 7+2.5+7.5 = 17K + 4% VAT = INR 17680!!

I have convinced him to cough up 2K more!! (Told him he would be able to game at high settings if he gets the PSU, otherwise zilch!! That did the trick!! :p :p :p :p )

Now do u ppl have any better suggestions?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some good news for you: Phenom II X4 955 is 5500 and 965 is 6300 at SMC. So your final cost might come down.

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Some good news for you: Phenom II X4 955 is 5500 and 965 is 6300 at SMC. So your final cost might come down.

Super!!

Any GPU where I might put the extra money? Keep in mind the power draw though!!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
What's the size of the current monitor? Is he going to game at the resolution you mentioned?

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
What's the size of the current monitor? Is he going to game at the resolution you mentioned?

He has some samsung monitor...I think between 17 to 19 inch! I dont know if he's gonna game at 1920X1200 (I dont think so) but I just suggested that to get started!!

May be I asked the wrong question. Let me rephrase -

Take the 6770 at 7.1K as base! Now is there any Radeon slightly better than the 6770, with a similar or slightly higher TDP than that of the 6770, within say 7.7K that he can get?

Oh! Another very important question...forgot to ask..

Guys, which Radeon partner board to get? Sapphire right?? or MSI ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sapphire or MSI both will do. Plus there's XFX if God is kind enough to keep you away from Rashi ;). If you ask me I am not a fan of OCed cards so I prefer cards at default clocks with good coolers. If you get the 955 then you can save 1.5k there. Add this to your graphics card's budget and it becomes 9k. Add a maximum of 1k and you can get a 6850, good enough to play most of the games at 1080p and blast through almost all of them at 13x7 res of 17-19 inchers.

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Yeah a 6790 but that will cost near about 8K

6770 does slightly better in AA and AF than 6790 (6790 lesser texel and pixel rate than 6770)...only good thing I can see is 6790 mem bandwidth is double of 6770!!

But nail in coffin is this.. Max TDP for 6790 is 150W...for 6770 its ~100!!

Sorry not getting 6790...if he blows his rig despite the CX, he will literally hang me dude!! :p

I think 6770 is final!

Guys, just suggest a board partner now!! Sapphire/MSI others?? Whose custom cooler is better? and any OC-ed edition (toxic/vapor??) for 6770 ?

Sapphire or MSI both will do. Plus there's XFX if God is kind enough to keep you away from Rashi ;). If you ask me I am not a fan of OCed cards so I prefer cards at default clocks with good coolers. If you get the 955 then you can save 1.5k there. Add this to your graphics card's budget and it becomes 9k. Add a maximum of 1k and you can get a 6850, good enough to play most of the games at 1080p and blast through almost all of them at 13x7 res of 17-19 inchers.

Hmm...6850 seems good! Price of 1GB version plz?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
6850 comes with 1gb memory only - price is 9.5k +/-. But first be sure your SMPS (CX430) could run it without any problem. I am not very sure.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Whatever GPU you buy for your friend, take an update from him on how he's gaming with it... I am planning on buying a new GPU sometime in November, so i need all the advice i can get! :)

soumo27

→|Requiescat| |in| |Pace|
6770 does slightly better in AA and AF than 6790 (6790 lesser texel and pixel rate than 6770)...only good thing I can see is 6790 mem bandwidth is double of 6770!!

But nail in coffin is this.. Max TDP for 6790 is 150W...for 6770 its ~100!!

Sorry not getting 6790...if he blows his rig despite the CX, he will literally hang me dude!! :p

I think 6770 is final!

Guys, just suggest a board partner now!! Sapphire/MSI others?? Whose custom cooler is better? and any OC-ed edition (toxic/vapor??) for 6770 ?

Hmm...6850 seems good! Price of 1GB version plz?

Yea power requirments might be a factor in case of6790.... And I think u can get 6770 Vapor Edition within 7.7K

This is CX430 V1 or V2 that u're getting????

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Whatever GPU you buy for your friend, take an update from him on how he's gaming with it... I am planning on buying a new GPU sometime in November, so i need all the advice i can get! :)

Ya sure thing...

Yea power requirments might be a factor in case of6790.... And I think u can get 6770 Vapor Edition within 7.7K

This is CX430 V1 or V2 that u're getting????

Hopefully V2..not sure yet...will post back once bought!!

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

By that time we will be talking about Geforce 6xx and Radeon 7xxx, my friend!!!

Let me check at Soumo's link!!

Hmm...it comes to around 400W...should be ok, right??

Borderline OK.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
By that time we will be talking about Geforce 6xx and Radeon 7xxx, my friend!!!

Yeah, i know.. Technology advances move at the speed of light... >.<

I just hope that the HD77xx series cards later this year will be more power efficient... :p Then i might not have to change my PSU... >.<

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In all probability they would be, for similar level of performance of earlier generation cards. Are you going to wait for next gen cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom