Could someone do this?? For all Debian-derived users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Guys, tell me how do you install programs that come with a .tgz extension in the DIGIT DVDs.. I tried all the steps given above.. But the given programs are not sources, are they? How, do you install PROGRAMS, and NOT COMPILE SOURCES AND INSTALL PROGRAMS? Plz help..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
siddharth, If the tgz files are not sources, then you may have to install differently. You may have to extract the tarball then read through its README or INSTALL.

As for an example in the case with tgz files downloadble from Mozilla's site, You have to extract the tar file and run the ./install script from terminal

gauravnawani

Journeyman
//siddhartha//
The terminals are smart and they show you files with differet attributes in colours. Like any executable 'program' or 'script' will be shown green in FC3 terminals.

To answer your previous question you can install any rpm package if you have RPM installed. In redhat OS like Fedora you can direcly double click on them in nautilus and provide the root password if required. The instalation will follow, in case the requirement are not met it will tell you.

It can be done with command line too. First in terminal change the directory to where the rpm file is.
Issue su to log in as root.
Then issue rpm -ivh [packagename.rpm]
to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom