Corsair VX450W and GTX570

Status
Not open for further replies.

S_V

In the zone
Yes Vicky.... It's True but it all depends on situations.. Anything Load after 397 watts for this PSU efficiency goes down to 78-79%. 500Watts is very rear thing to happen if heat is not a issue.. It's not guaranteed also whether it can hold or not. During Reviews they hardly test for hours in organised areas just for reviews.. In real world 20/5(say like), this is different and it's not the way it works like in Labs...

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Yes the labs results are quite synthetic vs. the real scenarios, but the OP will not stress it full 24x7 also...!

mohiuddin

Journeyman
Ahem.ahem.

Yes Vicky.... It's True but it all depends on situations.. Anything Load after 397 watts for this PSU efficiency goes down to 78-79%. 500Watts is very rear thing to happen if heat is not a issue.. It's not guaranteed also whether it can hold or not. During Reviews they hardly test for hours in organised areas just for reviews.. In real world 20/5(say like), this is different and it's not the way it works like in Labs...

totally correct.

^^
1. Cause both units have to start exactly at the same time.
2. To enable (1) you need either:
A) A special cable which connects both units and short circuit starts (jump starts) the second PSU. This is difficult to get and expensive.
B) A jerry rig method to initiate (2a). For which you have to read up a lot on the net, and is risky, cause if done incorrectly, you have a burnt PSU(s) or a dead system/part.
3.Difficult to fit in two bulky PSUs inside the cabinet.
4.User has to choose which type of component needs to be connected to the primary/secondary PSU. It is not as simple as just hooking up which ever part one deems fit to the PSU connectors.
5.More heat inside the cabinet.

Now, if you can negate all of the above, and convince the OP for dual PSU you have a case. Best.

for gain of 900w, it is nothing.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
So a vx450 can manage a gtx 570 safely. Can this be concluded?

for gain of 900w, it is nothing.

I don't agree with you and i guess no one will either. Asingh's posts make sense unlike yours. Two psu's can't be stuffed even in a full tower cabinet.

If anybody needs more power then he or she can opt 850 watt upwards with a bronze or gold rating and a good oem like seasonic.

eg- corsair ax 1200 80+ gold ( oem - flextronic)

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
He can use GTX 570 on his current PSU itself. It will work fine but more headroom is recommended. One may argue that it is for this situation only one pays for the Corsair premium in India. He won't be at full load always, will he?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^

No, he is never going to stay at full load all the time.Therefore no need for op to change the psu for time being.

Correct isn't it?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
so now some thinks that VX450W is not safe for his GTX570 and some thinks it will not create any issue. There can be one way to find out this :

@ OP - as you have said you won't be able to stretch your budget more than 22K - right ?

Have you bought the GTX570 - why not test it with the VX450W and let us know. Run, crysis, metro2033, BFBC2, GTA EFLC like resource hungry games for 3-4 hours ( as usually most of the people play continuously that long ) with max resolution and image quality - it will give you an fair idea.

If you have not bought it already consider getting Zotac GTX 570 GDDR5 1280 MB @ 20.6k ( on lynx ) - try selling out your current PSU and with the rest of the money get a seasonic 500/520W PSU around 4k.

OP
Terabyte

Terabyte

In the zone
No I haven't bought the card yet.
If I sell away my PSU how much should I expect?3k?
Its only 7 months old.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
If you can sell the vx450 at 3k then do it and get a corsair vx550 or Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520W psu. Then you can opt for the gtx 570 easily without any fear.

OP
Terabyte

Terabyte

In the zone
^Hmm...yes I think I will sell away my PSU :-/
Unfortunately all my college friends are dumb so selling a PSU for 3k to them is pretty much impossible(most of them have those iBall ones)

Thanks everybody for the replies, currently I am bit busy since my college submissions.
Will bump this thread when they are done.
Thanks once again :D

mohiuddin

Journeyman
Either you cannot read or comprehend else you do not understand all the points I had listed out categorically.

wtf is the problem ?i used two psu .
1..shortcircuit two wire in psu - mobo power connector.
The only problem is if u shutdown ur cpu then the second psu will still be on.....u have to just manually switch the plug off. Or
2.. u want more sofisticated setup ,there is many ground wires in a mobo ,just use any one of them carefully.(i prefer and used first one)
@vickybat , i think u know how a good branded >900w psu cost?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ mohiuddin

Ok if you had really done such a setup and even claiming it to be better than a single HQ psu setup , can you please post some pics of the same in this thread?

We want to witness in pictures how this system looks like and to what extent this double psu system is viable.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it would be best if he can put up a tutorial on the dual psu setup on the tutorial section - many will be interested in this - even I'm interested to know how exactly he have done this - A step by step tutorial with pics what we want anyway.

@ Terabyte - selling off your current PSU @2.5-3k is a wise decision and by adding only 1.6k/1.1K only you would get a seasonic 520W bronze PSU like vicky said.

BTW, what GTX570 you are going to buy ie brand name ?

S_V

In the zone
@Terabyte

If you have budget problem... you go ahead with card only for now.. But there is no headroom for you anymore. your chances for any more devices will get SLIM for now.... Later when chance is there ,sell and buy NEW SMPS like topgear suggested go for it...
If you buy only CARD now,, Please provide your input by playing GPU intense games like Metro 2033, Warhead, Bad Company 2 in Max settings especially with AA and AF (if no AA and AF, Card is not bothered to run hard).. Make sure you run them very long ....

Also what's your Monitor, DID i miss anywhere? If your resolution is below 1680x1050, especially 1280x1024, you don't have to worry about SMPS ,becoz below that GPU is capped to limit with high end Vid cards and games depend on more CPU.. Vid cards stress only above 1680x1050 especially from 1920x1080(1200)... where CPU lacks such bandwidth to support in higher resolution.. Here OC your CPU plays key role... especially in SLI.

Last edited:
OP
Terabyte

Terabyte

In the zone
^Sorry I forgot the mention about my monitor, its have Samsung 2233 Full-HD.

@topgear : As of now I haven't thought of the brand.
But I am looking for one which is cool and efficient rather than OC'ed card.
Any options?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
actually oced card most of the time comes with better cooler - so they give better performance ( read more OC capability ) and runs a lot cooler tan stock stuff.

Zotac has a GTX570 which is priced 20.7K on lynx which has stock cooler. Acc to guru3d a stock cooled GTX570s load temp is 77C and power consumption is 213W and it can be oced to 800 core maxand comes with 5 years warranty.

You can also cosnsider brands like MSI, Palit SC, Gigabyte, Asus and EVGA.

mohiuddin

Journeyman
@ mohiuddin

Ok if you had really done such a setup and even claiming it to be better than a single HQ psu setup , can you please post some pics of the same in this thread?

We want to witness in pictures how this system looks like and to what extent this double psu system is viable.

i said i used.a 500w one i m using and another 350w i used before.as i m using 5770 single card , i took out the 350 w one, as 500w is enough.i used that dual setup for about a month for testing how it works.it did very well. When i will head to a cfx setup i will show u some pics of dual psu setup as u guys don't believe me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom