Not open for further replies.

Terabyte

In the zone
My config-
X4 955BE
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
Corsair VX450W

I was wondering can my PSU handle GTX 570?
I checked its review on anandtech and guru3D and came to the conclusion that the system power consumption at full stress is maximum 370W.
Also anandtech and guru3D have overclocked their processor so power consumption should be even lower on my stock system.
AFAIK Corsair VX450 can easily provide 400W.
So Corsair VX450 should handle GTX570 right?

_VascoZ_

Right off the assembly line
My config-
X4 955BE
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
Corsair VX450W

I checked its review on anandtech and guru3D and came to the conclusion that the system power consumption at full stress is maximum 370W.
Also anandtech and guru3D have overclocked their processor so power consumption should be even lower on my stock system.

YES! Corsair VX450 will easily handle this load. :smile:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
My config-
X4 955BE
4GB RAM
500GB HDD
Corsair VX450W

they do the test on open bench without any case fan and some time they even use SSD drives - so their power consumption could be even lower than yours and theres' no guarantee that every vx450w would be able to provide overrated power as yours may not be from same batch.

From what I've calculated your system power consumption would be ~393W with GTX 570 and VX450 can officially provide 396W on +12V rail. So I think it's better to get a VX550W at 4.6k instead. Play safe.

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
even if corasir VX450w could handle ur GPU it will stressed very much when bundled up with total system power consumption.
if u wanna improve the life of PSU u should not stress the PSU more than 80%.
so it wud be better for u to look for a PSU of abt 550W or more !!

OP
Terabyte

Terabyte

In the zone
Thanks guys for the inputs.
@topgear : Yeah you are right that they use SSDs and all but they also OC the processor by good 600MHz or so. I won't be doing so that gets covered up I guess.

@jerrin_ss5 : Well I know I shouldn't stress by PSU. But I won't be playing games 24x7.
Mostly on weekends(but in full glory).
Also I don't reckon each game will stress out GTX570 (expect Crysis and Metro).

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even at stock speed that psu along with your whole rig will draw power close to 390W - so it's better to get VX550 to be safe.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Just use that, as I said. Next time you go for any component upgrade just let us know. You are fine. No worries.

OP
Terabyte

Terabyte

In the zone
^Thanks asingh.
I would be using Hyper 212+ instead of stock cooler BTW.
Also I will add one fan to my cabinet.
So will that work?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^I have NZXT Gamma and I have one fan which came with the cabinet.

add two more fan at-least for proper ventilation as the GTX 570 is power hungry hot card - those will aid in cooling for sure.

try dual psu setup. Add another 450w psu.a total 900w.rocks.

How ? don't you think 2x 450W is just too much for a single GTX570 based config.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom