Corsair Vs Kingston Vs Transcend

Status
Not open for further replies.

sainit

Journeyman
Hello Everyone!!!

I m planning to buy a PC in near future but I m having a confusion.

Which RAM is Good in performance

Corsair or Kingston or Transcend

In case all r same then why everyone mentioning about Corsair and this is also higher in price.

Thanks

Kniwor

Learner
Firstly, Transcend DOES NOT even make high quality ram, just the basic stuff, on 28th march transcend released it official 2x1Gb DDR2-800, this was one of the world's cheapest DDR2-800, there are no good Transcend ram with heat spreaders etc...

Kingston, Corsair both make a good range of ram, and are usually good, all ram modules are not the same, so no suggestion an be given until u tell us what model ram are you looking for, but these companies no doubt produce some of the world's best ram.

Transced is popular in India because it is the only cheap brand that is easily available in India, we can hardly call Hynix a brand.

But we Indians are so fascinated by the CPU in our comp, we hardly care about important things like RAM/PSU. In almost every comp that I have built for myself, my ram cost me equal to my CPU, and quite often more. Good ram is more important, you can crank up a cpu, but not a crappy ram. A crappy ram cripples the system badly.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Me using Corsair for quite some time now ... my ddr2-667 modules does 850 MHz at 5-5-5-15 :D .... so u know i'd always suggest Corsair now ...

BTW ... i don't think Transcend modules are bad ..

srinivasbg

Broken In
Generally what matters is what chipset the ram module contains, some of the local ones have the lower quality hynix chips in them.so be careful while choosing .i suggest u buy corsair xms2 which is the best ddr2 .If cost is factor u can settle for kingston ddr2:)

darklord

Cyborg Agent
Any DDR2 RAM with Micron D9GXX series chips with a Brainpower PCB is heavenly :D

Anyways Corsair and Kingston both are equal in terms of quality so buy whatever is cheaper.Lately i have started disliking Transcend,dunno why.

Bottomline is the Memory IC and the PCB is all that matters.Irrespective of the manufacturer. :)
SPD programming also helps a lot in performance and stability of a particular RAM :)

some of the local ones have the lower quality hynix chips in them
Just cos Hynix is cheap doesnt mean its low quality ;) I have seen Hynix DDR2 chips hitting 1200 speeds,which was till now only Micron's Domain in DDR2 arena :)

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Hynix cheap :shock:

HP Desktops come with that brand RAM, i dunno if its cheap but they're of high quality (imo).

they sell ~1k more at HP (obviously):D

last time i heard about this RAM brand, it was of really high quality & costlier than Transcend/Kingston...

Kniwor

Learner
Hynix has no dout produced good mainstream chips, but would not consider them top-class, Chips are actually more important than manufacturers, but implementation cannot be ignored, Kingston used Infineon chips in their enthusiast Kingston HyperX KHX7200D2K2/1G, and did decently.

No doubt the Micron D fat body chips are the best and rocking material, but recently Elpida chips have shown great potential, and it's being used in a lot of high performing memory, OCZ platinum series, Kingston HyperX etc... and these chips rock too, and are cheaper. Promos it at the moment a sort of mainstream chip used by a lot of manufacturers, and many make their own chips. So u just cant look at a manufacturer and say what is better.

But for now, I know that at the moment transcend is not giving out any great product, for some reason, I have recently begun to dislike them. I'd much rather prefer corsair value products.

God I miss it that Geil/buffalo/G.skill don't sell here, If u will not believe, Geil has a product in market just few bucks higher than the transcend ram, that clock 1000Mhz at really good timings, Geil Ultra(not Micron D9, it's Elpida I guess, not sure).

In all, Corsair/Kingston is good, but Kingston is not so good on the Price front.

Kniwor

Learner
sam9s said:
Absolutely right and BTW Transcend JetRam also uses same D9 Micron chips which most of you would not be knowing. I was using corsiar 667 initially but when I got this new set up bought 800 Mhz Transcend Jet RAM, which is an absolute stunner of an OCing RAM given the price as well. I, ranjan and even ch@0s can vouch for that.

Corsair is good no doubt but Transcend can beat Corsiar by a fair margin given the Price, Performance ratio.

will you tell me the exact make/model of your ram.
does it have heat spreaders, and what's the timings?

premsharma

In the zone
For me look & finish of Transcend itself is cheap. Even Kingston & TwinMos are for better in external.

I duno, why but no one is mentioning Zion, Is it not good enough to be bracketed with likes of corsair. It is not correct that RAM is viewed from OC point of view.

wilderness

Broken In
I am using Kingston... good enough. And I use two transcend thumbdrives.. and i think both are pretty good. Corsair of course, is better than both.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Kniwor said:
will you tell me the exact make/model of your ram.
does it have heat spreaders, and what's the timings?

NO this does not have a heat spreaders
This is the ram transcend jetram 800 & its timing is 5-5-5-15
*www.techmessenger.com/Transcend-Releases-its-JetRam-240-Pin-DDR2-800-070328001.html

*www.techtree.com/India/News/Transcend_JetRam_Memory_Kit/551-80075-581.html

I bought it for 7000/- but if its available for its original price of Rs 4700-5000 then its the best value ram for OCing

Last edited:

Kniwor

Learner
sam9s said:
No it does not have the heat spresders. Model is JM367Q643A-8. Its 512x2 module and I am running it at 5-5-5-15. Its flawlessly working OCed at 944 Mhz. I will push it further when I get my cooling solution.
I cant seem to find anywhere that it uses Micron D9, help me out here.

Last edited:

Sukhdeep Singh

Host4Cheap.org
Damn it, i see Corsair XMS2 800 MHZ selling for 130$ in US today :D In India we wont be getting 1GB 800mhz Corsair at that price :(

Kniwor

Learner
sam9s said:
Check this out.....for a start.......

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=333389&postcount=19

Dude, it nowhere says that the transcend uses Micron D9, please read it again. it just says that it OC'd well in his review.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Transcend used D9 chips for a while... now it uses lame PSC :(. That ram getting stuck at 455FSB is a sure shot indication of D9. It was a well known Gigabyte DS3 bug which was fixed later with bios updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom