Correcting a bad i7-960 implementation

ramanvemman

Broken In
Hi,

I'm onto fixing a PC my cousin bought for video editing.
Last night I was at his place for a time pass I ran NFS:Shift, And seeing the PC getting hot. Started inspecting..

Current config is as follows

Component | Make Processor | Core i7 960 Stock Cooler Motheboard | Intel DX58OG
Graphics Card | ASUS GTX 460 doesn't exactly know the model
RAM | 3x2GB ZION :shock: CPU-Z tells it is Micron Tech. 8JTF525664AZ-1G4D1 Cabinet | PrimeSource* HP-82 :)shock: ever heard abt this?) PSU | Primesource* AX-400 S :shock: :shock: :shock: HDD | Wester Digital Blue 1TB
Monitor | Samsung Syncmaster 22" S22A300B

extras - Matrox MXO 2 (for video capture)

he has shed close to 90K for this in May, 2011 :-?

Last night I was playing NFS Shift(full detail 8xAA, 16xAnistropic) and I was feeling the heat from the unit. So decided to check what inside. found these

I believe those in red especially PSU and Cabinet are sore points.

Please advice. I have shared links to both of those in the table

Thanks

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
You need a quality cabinet and PSU for that rig. Get the following:_

CM Elite 430 with Transparent Sidepanel @ 2.6K
Corsair GS 600 600W 80+ PSU @ 4K
2 X 1600 RPM CM 120 mm fan @ 0.5K

OP
R

ramanvemman

Broken In
@Cilus - thats what generally I thought. That Cab is 8kg of solid metal but stupidly cramped no thumb screws. I mean there is no tool less option for anything

Also is the stock cooler good for i7-960? There is no chance for OCing but long rendering is a possiblilty

Last edited:

masach315

War4Peace
For me PrimeSource is all Greek to me and sorry being noob. I presume the PSU is 400W which is too low and considering that the PSU doesn't look like 80+. However, it will be better if you run CoreTemp or CPUID HWMonitor and know exactly what are the temperatures of the GPU, CPU etc

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Suggestions already given by Cilus &

Change the ram too.
And if your cousin isn't into overclocking, then stock cooler is good for 960.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Daylight robbery. Need I say more? I bet he didn't even get a proper bill from the assembler too and must have given the usual "I'll take care of it!". Nothing much can be done other than confronting whoever put this system together.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Please ask your cousin not to game on the system, till the PSU is not changed. It is a ticking time-bomb, which may blow up and/or take out other components in the process. Tell him to use it for basic surfing/MS Office/watching non-HD movies.

You guys got royally ripped off.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Daylight robbery. Need I say more? I bet he didn't even get a proper bill from the assembler too and must have given the usual "I'll take care of it!". Nothing much can be done other than confronting whoever put this system together.

After reading your post & op's post:

he has shed close to 90K for this in May, 2011

yes, it is!! No way this system have 90K materials.

Top Bottom