CONTEST ALERT - Synology-Digit NAS Review Contest - Win NAS units and HDDs

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mixed impressions so far. Will do more testing over next couple of days, deadline is 19th June, right @Anorion & any guidelines/format needed to be followed for reviews?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Is it just me or the whole things is kinda.... slow?

u mean transfer rates or web ui?
i have ds120j and there is no problem with transfer rates, the webui would be faster if was connected through rdp. But instead it is just a webpage made to look like desktop.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Have you tested the speeds with wifi?

my router only supports 10/100 ethernet and 2.4 G wifi, i transferred a 6.8Gig file. The transfer was pretty smooth with speed of 8.5-8.7 mbps, which is indeed near to 100 megabits/s.

there was no dip in speed, and did not go below 8mbps. Pretty smooth.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Is it just me or the whole things is kinda.... slow?
It's a 2 Ghz dual core Celeron, so can't be very fast. Having said that, it is felt only when on the web UI. However, NAS, by it's very design, is not meant to be used directly through its interface, it is only meant to be setup through the interface and accessed remotely. And so far, for me, any form of remote access does not feel slow at all.

u mean transfer rates or web ui?
i have ds120j and there is no problem with transfer rates, the webui would be faster if was connected through rdp. But instead it is just a webpage made to look like desktop.
afaik, the OS is designed to run in headless mode and DSM doesn't have a UI at all. Safe to say if it was rendering a full fledged GUI, it would only be slower.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
And so far, for me, any form of remote access does not feel slow at all.
NAS is actually meant for streaming stuff & higher the quality, higher will be the load on processor.e.g. try streaming a 10MB/s video bitrate file & you will see.

my router only supports 10/100 ethernet and 2.4 G wifi, i transferred a 6.8Gig file. The transfer was pretty smooth with speed of 8.5-8.7 mbps, which is indeed near to 100 megabits/s.
I tried with a 1gbps ethernet connection & reached speeds of ~50MB/s which I believe is hardware limitation on 120j as a 7200rpm hdd which is 90% empty should easily achieve around 80-90MB/s speeds.

Top Bottom