CONTEST ALERT - Synology-Digit NAS Review Contest - Win NAS units and HDDs

Dragonoid

Broken In
Recieved mine too.
It's a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. Slightly disappointed that it is a normal HDD not a NAS specialized drive like the Ironwolf. Curse you, Chiaminers.
Oh well, for the review it will do.
P.S. - After the HDD prices and availability becomes normal, I would have to buy a a higher capacity HDD for the NAS, as currently I have 2TB*2 external HDDs worth of data.

Aestivial

Broken In
Recieved mine too.
It's a 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD. Slightly disappointed that it is a normal HDD not a NAS specialized drive like the Ironwolf. Curse you, Chiaminers.
Oh well, for the review it will do.
P.S. - After the HDD prices and availability becomes normal, I would have to buy a a higher capacity HDD for the NAS, as currently I have 2TB*2 external HDDs worth of data.
Even more disappointed since I was really expecting an Ironwolf NAS drive. Also, things get trickier for me cause I just realised there's no way I can migrate my data into just 1TB of storage (guess I'll have to sort out some files just for the review sake). On top of that, thanks to lockdown, can't even order new drives online anytime soon either :(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update: It took just 10 minutes to setup the NAS but it took another 1 hour to setup net connectivity on it as I connected it directly to my desktop which connects to net via wifi usb dongle(can't connect NAS to router directly because of placement issues). Had to figure out how to share net connectivity from desktop wifi adapter to desktop-nas ethernet connection.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Yeah, not having wi-fi on the NAS unit is an issue. Wi-fi is fairly common these days and most household routers actually have faster wi-fi than ethernet, at least here in India. My router has 100 mbps ethernet ports, but provides 433 mbps over wi-fi 5 Ghz.

BTW, still haven't received my hard drive(s).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, not having wi-fi on the NAS unit is an issue. Wi-fi is fairly common these days and most household routers actually have faster wi-fi than ethernet, at least here in India. My router has 100 mbps ethernet ports, but provides 433 mbps over wi-fi 5 Ghz.

BTW, still haven't received my hard drive(s).
Check your email, you should have got email from digit official team with pic of package tracking info.

Dragonoid

Broken In
Hey, @whitestar_999 and @Anorion, I have received a faulty HDD. The HDD LED on the NAS is not blinking. So, connected using a SATA to USB adapter to my laptop. The Disk Management tool is saying Fatal Device hardware error. Please help

Dragonoid

Broken In
The sata to USB is for 2.5" drives. I know that, but the drive is not being recognised by the NAS too and that's the main issue
For those thinking power is an issue, it was not. Used Seatools from Seagate to check the drive and the short generic test failed whereas the long generic test passed.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those thinking power is an issue, it was not. Used Seatools from Seagate to check the drive and the short generic test failed whereas the long generic test passed.
It is usually the opposite for most people, try hdd in nas now. Sometimes doing a full format by manufacturer utility may reset some faulty S.M.A.R.T. parameters making it "appear" healthy again.

Aestivial

Broken In
Got mine too, It's a Seagate Barracuda 1TB, and though it threw up this warning...

1623243063279.png

It is working fine enough so far. Am done setting up the device, just waiting for verification in the background (Advice: Usually this takes quite some time while you'll be creating a new volume so keep it in mind). Will update if I find anything worth sharing!

Top Bottom