Connecting OpenSUSE 11.1 with Windows through crossover ethernet wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Hello All
I was wondering how to set up Networking between OpenSUSE 11.1 in my desktop to Microsoft Windows XP in a laptop in order to facilitate file sharing between the two as well as internect connection sharing via a crossover ethernet wire?

Thanks.

iinfi

mekalodu
can u tell us how ur setup is?

do u have a switch in betwn? or u have two lan cards on one of the machines? if so which one?

iinfi

mekalodu
which machine gets the internet and from where?
if your windows machine gets the internet thru another LAN card then you can setup Internet sharing on the windows machine and setup internet sharing easily.

if your linux machine gets the internet thru a second lan card on ur linux box then i think you mite v to configure squid for this purpose.

iinfi

mekalodu
i v sme work .. so cant write down the steps for you.
i v jus copy pasted frm another site... if u still face issues let us know
source:*www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672

"""" Let's get started then:

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 - This is the main config file for the first (internet facing) interface.
It should read : (you can leave out anything on a line after #)

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes

Edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 - This is the main config file for the second (LAN facing) interface.
It should read :

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.3.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.3.0
BROADCAST=192.168.3.255
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
/etc/resolv.conf should contain the nameserver address(es) - put the address of your ISPs nameserver right at the top. eg:

nameserver 195.20.224.165You can have multiple nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx lines - the resolver will try them all in turn if one fails

The default gateway and your hostname go in /etc/sysconfig/network:

HOSTNAME=localhost
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1

We then need to set up packet forwarding:
Put the following command at the beginning of /etc/sysctl.conf

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

Then 'turn off' the redirection to squid:
Install iptables - type "urpmi iptables" as root, or use the package manager in the start menu or mcc

Add the following code to the bottom of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

iptables -t nat -D PREROUTING -i eth0 -j loc_dnatThis will delete a rule from your firewall - later, when you understand more, you can change shorewall and remove this line, but for now we'll keep it simple.

Reboot."""""""""

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
u should need the connection on via STATIC server IP just use ur suse as server , make server name as server1.example.com ->then proceed with the following

ping the static ip given in the windows , if it not working means

in linux = > vi /etc/resolv.conf -> type the following => nameserver 192.168.X.X like any server static ip u give in the linux

then in windows ping 192.168.X.X -t which the ip is given in the resolv.conf in linux

in linux => system-config-network -> cancel the DHCP and give static IP desired with the internet host connection ip

but in windows give the same serverIP but diff domain name

if this is not working at all

---------------

make sure that ur linux firewall is running in ENFORCING mode ---> make sure the IP forwarding is 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom