Connecting Laptops over Lan and Sharing Internet Connection

Hello , The problem isn't big enough but still is getting on my nerves :-x:-x for I m unable to actually figure out what to do. Anyways so finally couldn't make it work , and here is the last resort .. so plz help me out . I have 2 laptops ( one running on win7 and other on win8 ). Both are connected to wifi from same router. I want to share files from my one laptop to the other one. From my win8 laptop to the win7 to be precise ! And moreover while sharing I also don't want to lose the internet connectivity . Connectify was one software I came across to do it easier for me ... but its LITE version allows few files to be transferred like one file a day :-x. so that dint work for me . Are there any other user friendly softwares to do all that crappy IP address things and just a matter of clicks we are connected and can use internet as well :lol:? ? I also play games by connecting the laptops but many a times I have just resorted to some software like connectify I told u guys , for it offers simple ad hoc networking which is somewat fuzzy to create in win 8 :-(:|. Anyways that's all together a different issue I suppose:| . please help me solve this #########################################################################two laptops , file sharing needed , along with internet connection over wifi , (I do have a lan cable if needed for better speed transfers. P:oops:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is no need for any 3rd party software to share files over wifi/lan.simply use windows 7/8 homegroup sharing option.
HomeGroup from start to finish - Microsoft Windows Help

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Use HomeGroup to transfer files between Laptops as suggested. They will not use your Internet's bandwidth, you can ensure that by disconnecting router from Internet & the transfer still takes place.

debarshi

Otaku
Did you figure it out? If not, I can help you out by telling you how I do it... over Wifi, IF AND ONLY IF, you have a router, and are not using Connectify..

1. Go to advanced sharing settings and turn on network discovery, file and printer sharing, and password protected sharing in home network (if you configured your router connection as home network)

*i.imgur.com/UJ82yZJ.jpg

2. Now, to share files/folders over Wifi, go to Folder properties--->Sharing--->Share--->Add everyone to the list and select share

*i.imgur.com/geysYfB.jpg

3. Now, when the two devices are connected to the same network, open windows file explorer, go the networks, and you'll be able to see your shared pc name....... Double click on it, give the password, and you'll be able to see the shared files..

*i.imgur.com/uOQncf1.jpg

That should do the trick..... If not, I'll try helping as best as I can

Tell me if it worked

And this doesn't interfere with the Internet connection in any way

OP
N

niraj trehan

Dr.Geek
Hello Debarshi , thx for such a detailed effort ! But buddy i dont have a router at my hostel .. I figured out way to connect them whru homegroup but only problem thats coming nw is creating adhoc networks at windows 8 !

debarshi

Otaku
Homegroup is certainly easier and better...Just that you'll face problems if someone is using XP or has IPv6 turned off

Well well I could suggest 3 or 4 of you and your roomies share the cost of a decent router (Around 1000/-)............... But that's entirely upto you...

And I was unsuccessful in sharing my files over ad-hoc network *sigh*

Hope that helps

Top Bottom