connecting chasis fan query.

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
in my ELITE 310
REAR FAN is connected to CHASIS 1
FRONT INTAKE is connected to CHASIS 2
Heat sink fan is connected to CPU-FAN

Now i want to attach the xtraflo as side intake. How can i connect that. Also it is written that it is a PWM controlled fan? What does that mean?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I think, 'PWM controlled' means fan can be auto-controlled by CPU itself depending on the temperature.
And for the connecting option, if there is no extra fan slot, then use a molex connector converter to attach that fan. In that case fan will always rotate at highest speed.

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
no molex connector converter found in the box pack. i have a spare molex connector but that is having only 3 pin holes where two pins exist physically and the other is empty. So not getting any idea how to connect it.
Cqan a fan controller help? Also the wire of XTRAFLO is very short. how will it reach the fan controller placed in 5.25 bay?

*i.imgur.com/m52MA.jpg

virajk

Broken In
Don't you have a extra connection on the motherboard. I guess the pwm works in conjunction with the cpu fan, to expel the air from the cpu fan from the side exhaust !

As for the connector you could always find one on ebay.

tkin

Back to school!!
no molex connector converter found in the box pack. i have a spare molex connector but that is having only 3 pin holes where two pins exist physically and the other is empty. So not getting any idea how to connect it.
Cqan a fan controller help? Also the wire of XTRAFLO is very short. how will it reach the fan controller placed in 5.25 bay?

*i.imgur.com/m52MA.jpg
It will connect, the 3rd pin is the control pin, if you connect the fan directly to the power supply, it will not need the control pin cause only motherboard can control fan speed, so the 3rd pin is omitted. Try attaching it to the cable, it will go along only one side, if you try to connect in improperly it will not go in, don't push it, its like sata cables, it will only connect when the orientation is proper.

I remember my xtraflo fan came with an extender cable, use that to increase the length of the wire to use with motherboard.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Yes, you can attach then to that molex connector. But make sue those 2 pins in your existing molex connector have 12V. (i.e. color of wire should be black and yellow.)

OP
avichandana20000

avichandana20000

Cyborg Agent
after lots of googling when i was just about to give in i suddenly remember that in my mobo there is a 3 pin by the side of which it is written PWR_FAN. I connect the xtraflo(wire is small though) with fourth pin outside to that and viola. The Green fan has been attached in front. So now it is a tricolour cabby.
1)Red side
2)Green Friont.
3)Blue rear

Now tell me what is the utility of Asus Q-connector KIT supplied with MOBO. Is it of any help regarding 4 pin or 3 pin fan connection ?

Top Bottom