Connecting 2 pc's over lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saiaspire

Hi,

I have 2 pcs in my home. One is running Windows 98 and the other Windows XP.

Both have LAN cards. I brought CAT5 Crossover cable.

Can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to connect both of them and setting up the network

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Ethernet Crossover Cable - You first must have an ethernet network interface card (NIC) in both computers to use this method. If you are using ethernet cards with RJ45 jacks (similar to a phone jack but wider), you simply need an RJ45 to RJ45 Category 5 Crossover Cable. However, you do not need a "crossover" cable if you are connecting the two computers through an ethernet hub. In this case you just need two standard Category 5 patch cables to connect to the hub. A2Z sells both the ethernet NICs and the crossover/standard ethernet network cables to do this. Regarding the "software" side of connecting the computers, you will probably need to assign TCP/IP, NetBUI, or IPX networking protocols to your ethernet network adapter card (found in Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network). If using the TCP/IP protocol on your network adapter, you will probably need to assign different IP addresses and the same subnet masks to the TCP/IP properties of each computer: Computer 1 could be IP 192.168.0.1 & subnet 255.255.255.0, and Computer 2 could be IP 192.168.0.2 & subnet 255.255.255.0. You might also need to type in the same Workgroup Name in the Identification tab.

=======================================================================
How to Share Folders Over The Network

To synchronize files between computers you need to run AJC Directory Synchronizer on one computer and then share a folder on the other computer over the network.

First you need to decide which is the highest level folder that you want to synchronize. Then right click on that folder in Windows explorer and choose Sharing and Security from the menu.

When sharing folders on Windows XP Home edition the contents of the folders will be available to anyone on the network. The only choices you have for security are to make the share read only (which would only be suitable for a one way sync) or to create a hidden share by putting a $ sign in front of the share name.

If you share folders using Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional then you have better security because you can assign permissions to restrict access to the folder share.

mediator

Technomancer
Man I've been seeing new posts like this "connecting 2 pc's...." everyday now".....pallease search de forum ! U can find all + arising errors in my posts!

Neways
(a)
Turned on all the needed services like : (open services.msc to do dat )

1. Internet Connection Sharing and windows firewall service

2. Print and file sharing (google to find out how to do that)

3. Netbios over tcp/ip

4. Simple file sharing(folder options) service

5. All the other corresponding services in services.msc!
(b)
Edit regkey from hexadecimal "1" (or wateva) to "0":

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\restrictanonymous.

UR done!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom