Confusion with graphics!

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
I have a 21/21.5" TFT LCD monitor which has a resolution of 1440X990, which i run with Intel HD3000 on-board graphics. Can my monitor give good performance for an year or so? Also, suggest me a graphics card which can last for a least 5 years, within a budget of max. 17~18k. I am not in a hurry for buying a graphics card, and will be buying it by December. I am also looking forward to the AMD Radeon 7000 series.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
For your resolution 6850/6870 is sufficient for some time to come. But if you can wait then HD7000 is supposed to give much better performance.

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Guys do not mix the graphics card with the screen. Screen is a separate issue. I need a graphics card which can last for a least 5 years, within a budget of max. 17~18k. I have to upgrade my screen, but i'll be unable to do it for an year or so, after which i will buy a good full HD screen for my PC. Basically i wanted to know that is my screen too bad, that i must upgrade it immediately?

Does anyone know exactly when AMD will lunch its 7000 series graphics cards? Is it in December or it will be during 2012 Q1?

CM GX-550W - not good

What exactly is the problem with my PSU?

Isn't it sufficient to support a graphics card like HD6970?

Cilus

laborare est orare
GX-550 is not good enough to handle high end Graphics cards and in most of the reviews it is not recommended when a powerful Gfx card is installed. Even couple of forum members here have faced problems with GX-550.

The best option is to sell of your PSU and use the 18K + 2K (approximate evaluation of GX-550) to get a GPU + PSU combo and I also think you should wait until the release of AMD 7000 series. The release date as per my knowledge is December, 2011 but it may be posponed for the Q1 of 2012.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
December 2011 would just be a paper launch of hd7000 afaik. So don't expect these cards for another 4-5 months at least.

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Cilus i am scared that my Dad wont let me sell of the PSU now. Please suggest the best graphics card which i can use for my PC. Is it sufficient to support a graphics card like HD6970?

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are scared, not sure na? Try once. And it is not sufficient for 6970.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GX 550 is not enough to handle anything over HD 6870 or GTX 460 1 GB GDDR5 version.

OP
Siddharth_1

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Some websites say that GX 550 can power a 6950 2GB, but that its limit and it may not be much safe. Also, the SMC guy offered me a GTX 560 Ti and said that the PSU can power it.

Can MSI R6950 TF III OC run the latest games for 4~5 yrs?

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Nvidia GTX560Ti takes only 35 watts more than HD6950.
*img17.imageshack.us/img17/7531/captureopb.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Source-Legitreviews

GTX 560Ti should be able to run smoothly but as mentioned earlier there are some issues regarding stability.

What do you mean by stability issue??

Top Bottom