confused in canon and nikon

jaimin100

Journeyman
hello friends

i need entry level DSLR

so afer some searching i found this

(1)NIKON D3200+18-55mmlens VR
(2)NIKON D5100+18-55mmlens VR
(3)CANON 1100D+with Double Lens Kit (EF-S 18-55mm IS II + EF-S 55-250mm IS II)

which is good bcz they have less cost difference?

and sholud i go with only body and purchase lens as extra?

please help me:razz::razz::razz::razz:

sujoyp

Grand Master
I wont recommend a D3200

whats your budget?

D5100+18-55 is good choice

Also consider canon 600D

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I wont recommend a D3200

whats your budget?

D5100+18-55 is good choice

Also consider canon 600D

+1

Whats your experience with regards to photography - buying a DSLR doesnt automatically mean that you'll get better images. If you arent comfortable with the bulk or the optical viewfinder you'll end up hating the purchase. There is a learning curve involved. DSLRS are a niche product of sorts.

We'd like to know your budget, needs/usage pattern and preferably experience before recommending a product :)

OP
jaimin100

jaimin100

Journeyman
+1

Whats your experience with regards to photography - buying a DSLR doesnt automatically mean that you'll get better images. If you arent comfortable with the bulk or the optical viewfinder you'll end up hating the purchase. There is a learning curve involved. DSLRS are a niche product of sorts.

We'd like to know your budget, needs/usage pattern and preferably experience before recommending a product :)

thanks for info
as m newbie in this field but i love photography & yes u are right there is learning curve :D.

my budget is round 30K

today i went to shop to check camera's ,then i found Sony alpha 58
i m bit impressed with his fast focusing and its technology :D

so tell me which is better ?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
thanks for info
as m newbie in this field but i love photography & yes u are right there is learning curve :D.

my budget is round 30K

today i went to shop to check camera's ,then i found Sony alpha 58
i m bit impressed with his fast focusing and its technology :D

so tell me which is better ?

If you are a complete newbie, then you might actually prefer the Alpha series over the price-equivalent Canons and Nikons. The thing is that these Sonys are incredibly fast when focussing with the Live view (when the LCD shows the image) on which you might actually like considering that you are new to all this. But over time you are going to switch to the Viewfinder and that when things become a bit murky. Which brings me to - Alpha series have an electronic viewfinder and a lot of people including me are not very pleased with this as the current crop of electronic viewfinders leaves a lot to be desired in terms of focus sharpness when using manual focus and has rather high black-out period between shots.. The Canon and Nikon have the regular tried and tested Optical View Finders (OVF)

Then there is also the part about lenses where the Canon and Nikon are clear winners over the Sony.

I'd recommend a 600D or D5100 but if you prefer the Alphas, then you know what to buy :)

In any case do spend sufficient time with these (atleast an hour cumulative over the three cameras)

PS: DOnt be swayed by the numbers. DSLRs are a lot more about the little things than they are about numbers :)

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Im a newbie too and tutored by the experts here like sujoy and pranav....and yes I hated the oled viewfinder. It was lame. Go with optical ones,despite being newbie i hardly hardly use live view.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
Hehe. Experts? Naah, I just started a year ago. Glad that I was help though :)

Yeah, If you buy a DSLR, then the focus on Live view should be very less.

sujoyp

Grand Master
humm expert adviser but not photographer :D :D

I really think A57 have much better viewfinder then A58 but A57 cost much more.

At 30k I think canon 600D or Nikon D5100 are much better choice

Availability of accesory and lenses is not a problem for sony...but you will find it difficult to get used lenses for sony coz sony just entered in India

Also as pranav said live view is far less useful in dslr...but its useful for macros

You should again handle all 3 of them and see the grip, buttons, viewfinder etc and decide

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^That guy on ebay has issues,he hasnt sent Bills and Manuals to a quite a lot of customers who bought an EOS 600D from him. If you dont get the bill you wont get the Canon India Warranty!!! Its one reason why I skipped him. So be careful.

OP
jaimin100

jaimin100

Journeyman
thanks for advices guys let'see one more visit of shop and check nikon & canon over sony.

one more thing that sales guy said to me that the fliping mirror inside body should be replaced after some time and that is fixed in sony ..

OP
jaimin100

jaimin100

Journeyman
why should go with 2011 relased slr?

and yes you are right in lenses sony can't compete canon and nikon

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
why should go with 2011 relased slr?

and yes you are right in lenses sony can't compete canon and nikon

Because the D5100 and the 600D are both better than the D5200/D3200 wrt Image Quality from what I know. And cheaper too.

The date of release matters next to nothing, lenses for example can chug along for decades without having a better rival :)

sujoyp

Grand Master
@pranav I am not sure if D5100 is better then D5200 ....people say D5200 have better image quality then D7100

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
@pranav I am not sure if D5100 is better then D5200 ....people say D5200 have better image quality then D7100

Possible. I was just referring to the standard studio shot from dpreview. At low ISO's there is nothing but the higher MP count at play, and at Higher ISO's i begin to find the D5100 get the upped hand over the D5200. Add to it the higher price and its easily goes below D5100 on my list. Agreed, it has more focus points, but unless you do true-blue macro who is gonna need that - I never had any issues with the 9 point AF on my 600D yet. I can appreciate why somebody would want more points but its not very good VFM yet.

Moreover, the D3200 is hopelessly outclassed by the cheaper D5100, despite being older. Same holds for the 600D as well (Add in magic lantern and you know why I went with the 600D :D).

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
What all features do I get if I flash Magic Lantern?^^

Unified - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Personally, use the bracketing most of all. And the intervalometer works great I have had sets of over 200 (not sure how many) images without any difficulty. If you live in a village and have a tripod you'll love it. Then there is motion detection (for lightning shots).

Even more advanced features include tiled imaging without mirror movement, focus/exposure highlighting on the LCD, setting the Live view mode to show a EV boosted image (for those night photos) etc.

The best part is that it doesnt void your warranty :)

OP
jaimin100

jaimin100

Journeyman
thanks for advices guys let'see one more visit of shop and check nikon & canon over sony.

one more thing that sales guy said to me that the fliping mirror inside body should be replaced after some time and that is fixed in sony ..

expert commment please on this :D

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
expert commment please on this :D

Nothing of that sort that I know about, although just wait for comments from Sujoy and nac to see if they know of anything.

What he is referring to is the shutter (or was it mirror ?) replacement after about one lakh (really wildly guessing, no idea, but its a very huge number for sure) cycles. If anything nothing you need to worry for 5 years unless you shoot about 100 everyday. (My personal count is ~5000 cycles after nearly a year of use. And that involves some tests using intervalometer that surely contributed to over 600 of those). Nothing to be concerned there.

In any case, how has the Sony gotten rid of it? For all I know, the Alpha series also is an SLR, not a mirrorless camera.

Top Bottom