Configuration for a Downloading Machine

amritpal2489

In the zone
Hey guys, i want to build a machine just for the purpose of downloading stuff through torrents and other sources. I want it to use least power and would be running linux on it (tiny or puppy or such least resource hungry distro).
Can you advice me regarding the configuration of such system ??
PS: i dont want to spend much as i already have two hi end desktops and a laptop. And i would be just throwing it in the basement and would be controlling it through remote dektop or any such alternative

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even I think netbook would be the best and cheapest option. Desktop, even one with the lowest config would be costlier than this.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Netbooks tend to heat up in our torrid summers and hang. Mine does that.

Best to get an old 2nd hand mother board even with an old C2D, or Athlon + IGP and torrent away. Only expenditure would be a 15" LCD and HDDs. I will be doing that.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Anything which can boot up on Win7 and handle 1TB platters and push out a display. That is about it. :)

Soumik

Padawan
On the topic, but away from the discussion, i have a query.
On heavy downloading. the HDD seems to get fragmented, build up caches, etc, some things happen, due to which, the system slows down very fast. Fast - 2-3 months. While ofc computers, even after running for a year without format, remains as slow as it was at the start. :p.
So, is there any kind of config or setting we can do, so that the machine doesnt slow down over time?
PS: Sorry if u feel its off topic. We have a common system for playing games and downloading, and we have seen that games that ran fine 6 months back when it was new, are running with much lower fps now. I want to find a solution for this.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
Its rather windows to blame, windows has a nack of getting slow overtime.
It gets slower, program after another installed. Tough Windows 7 has prolonged that time but still I find my system slowed after good 6-8 months.
Use Ubuntu/Hackintosh. No matter what crap I fed into ubuntu it never slowed.

You don't necessarily need a display, I have my torrents scheduled on a separate
PC with no display, it is 24x7 on, just cpu with an essential series MB, C2D, 1GB ram 500GB HDD with 3.5" external drive. Connect both PC's via lan/router, enable remote desktop/team viewer and no need for monitor!

PS: a second hand PC having this config will hardly cost 3K/ can even get a new one for less than 5-6k,
2-5mtr cat5e/cat6 LAN cable 40-200rs. Probably the cheapest solution with no display required

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 118788

Better Get A Wireless Router With Torrent Downloading Feature Like Asus BlackDiamond RT-N56U or Asus RT-N16. Also, You Can A Nas Server With Torrent Downloading Feature.:)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup.

@Soumik

You can try out Ubuntu on ext4 filesystem if you want to. It doesn't have defragment problem.

Torrent client? Deluge for GNOME based distros. KTorrent for KDE based distros.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It gets slower, program after another installed. Tough Windows 7 has prolonged that time but still I find my system slowed after good 6-8 months.
Use Ubuntu/Hackintosh. No matter what crap I fed into ubuntu it never slowed.

You don't necessarily need a display, I have my torrents scheduled on a separate
PC with no display, it is 24x7 on, just cpu with an essential series MB, C2D, 1GB ram 500GB HDD with 3.5" external drive. Connect both PC's via lan/router, enable remote desktop/team viewer and no need for monitor!

PS: a second hand PC having this config will hardly cost 3K/ can even get a new one for less than 5-6k,
2-5mtr cat5e/cat6 LAN cable 40-200rs. Probably the cheapest solution with no display required

Can you tell in more detail how you done this. I am really interested. I have a spare E7400 and might get a second had LGA775 board, 2GB RAM, and buy a 2TB platter. Should be fine after a low level PSU. Without display would be nice.

Could you throw more light here.

Omi

-=[-_-]=-
it will require a monitor for initial setup (I used TV as temp monitor for one of the PC)
I have a router, using that I connected both the pc assigning them the same work group/ create a HomeGroup in Win7. Then you can use TeamViewer It works on LAN too, Install it on both machines, connect and grant all permissions. Now with that done you can see & control the desktop of the Download PC even install programs and do anything. With file sharing enabled you can transfer the finished torrent files with ease or even transfer them using Team-viewer.

And even if monitor is a necessity, the download pc monitor will be 98% of the time be off,
you can easily get a used elchepo crt for less then 1000rs if its necessary, why use lcd :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
it will require a monitor for initial setup (I used TV as temp monitor for one of the PC)
I have a router, using that I connected both the pc assigning them the same work group/ create a HomeGroup in Win7. Then you can use TeamViewer It works on LAN too, Install it on both machines, connect and grant all permissions. Now with that done you can see & control the desktop of the Download PC even install programs and do anything. With file sharing enabled you can transfer the finished torrent files with ease or even transfer them using Team-viewer.

And even if monitor is a necessity, the download pc monitor will be 98% of the time be off,
you can easily get a used elchepo crt for less then 1000rs if its necessary, why use lcd :D

Thanks appreciate this..!

Tenida

Gadget Freak

Excellent suggestion really. :p +1 rep. from me. :)

Soumik

Padawan
Thanks ico and omni,
But if i shift to linux, i wont be able to ply the games.. and thats really sadness... :(

OP
A

amritpal2489

In the zone
Thanx OMI... this was what i ws looking for.. but i dont think it is the best config in terms of power/electricity usage...
I am looking for a solution which consumes the least power as this setup would be on 24x7

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess you have to look for netbook class systems then. AMD Fusion is a very good option and would serve both your downloading and HTPC requirements, in a single platform.

Top Bottom