config for a new multimedia/gaming rig

mtripathi

Right off the assembly line
Hi All,

I am planning to buy a new system. Please suggest a config. Here's the questionaire

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: HD Movies, Playing mid range games such as Need for Speed

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 32,000 INR (I can stretch it to max 34,000)

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Windows 7 professional

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: I have LED monitor. It's manual says it can give a resolution of 1600 x 900

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: by 12th March 2011

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, ups

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Delhi. I am planning to buy it from Nehru place. I will go for a survey on 5th march and on next weekend, I am planning to get it.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I have heard about computer empire at nehru place. let me know, if it is good. or can you suggest any specific shop at nehru place.

Thanks
:smile:

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Component | Model | Price CPU |Intel i5 2400|9.5k
Motherboard |Intel DH67CL B3|6.5k
RAM |GSkill/Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz|2.3k
HardDisk |Seagate 500GB 7200.12|1.7k
Graphic Card |Sapphire HD5770|7.5k
PSU |FSP SagaII 500W|2k
Cabinet |NZXT Gamma|2k
DVD |LG SATA|0.9k
TOTAL ||32.4k

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

Computer Empire is good. Also check out SMC & Cost2Cost.

OP
M

mtripathi

Thanks Ishu :smile:

I will be visiting Nehru place today and let you know, if I finalize my config today.

---------- Post added at 11:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

@Ishu

I bought the system today from computer empire. Below is the config

Motherboard DH67BL + CPU i5 2400 Combo @ 14900
RAM Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 2050
HardDisk Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ 1670
Graphic Card Sapphire HD5770 @ 6900
PSU Coolermaster 500W @ 2800 (FSP SagaII 500W was not available)
Cabinet Coolermaster elite 430 @ 2650
DVD LG SATA @ 890

Total amount including taxes came down to 31860

I got Windows 7 ultimate on my new machine and its rocking

rajan1311

Padawan
but really the rest are ultra-fail. :p

Dude apart from the Extreme series, that too the 600W Extreme power Duo, I have not really heard CM PSUs failing or causing any major damage. The GX series is also okok, but did not get good reviews anywhere... Even the Corsair GS series is the same, they rated it 80+ at 40C?

So anyways, not all CM PSUs are crap, the silent pro series is also good, I have a few friends who own them and they say its really good.

@jas: hey buddy, long time! :D

OP
M

mtripathi

@vickybat yes, it was B3 revision mobo

@Ishu I diddn't knew that CM PSUs are that bad. I bought extreme power plus 500W

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Yes they are low quality. :(

I suppose you can keep using it although I would recommend replacement. Try and convince the dealer to exchange for some other PSU (Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, FSP, Tagan in that order).

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Dude apart from the Extreme series, that too the 600W Extreme power Duo, I have not really heard CM PSUs failing or causing any major damage. The GX series is also okok, but did not get good reviews anywhere... Even the Corsair GS series is the same, they rated it 80+ at 40C?

So anyways, not all CM PSUs are crap, the silent pro series is also good, I have a few friends who own them and they say its really good.

Corsair GS series is much better than CM GX. Its not only about efficiency but the use of better passive and active components like japanese capacitors etc.

Efficiency just determines how much power the psu draws from socket throught its operation band. The higher the efficiency, lesser the power wasted.

So corsair GS series is much better than Cm GX and can be recommended for any fast single gpu setup. A Corsair GS 800 can also handle multigpu setups easily. The reviews were good and not bad like the CM GX series.

OP
M

mtripathi

@ Ishu, I have to use it till the time it is working. I will replace it, once it starts to malfunction.

abirthedevil

In the zone
@ Ishu, I have to use it till the time it is working. I will replace it, once it starts to malfunction.

when a PSU goes down it takes your other components with it, HDD, MB, CPU they wont exactly die out with the PSU itself but they will take a beating and CM EXTREME series is extremely crappy, check out some reviews and you will find that in many instances they die out before they have completed all their tests

saswat23

Human Spambot
Then all of u want to say his 2.8k on PSU is just a waste and he has to get another PSU for 2.5k more.
Then what will he do with this CM PSU after getting a new one???

Top Bottom