Config for 3D+Computer Vision Development

hellboygr8

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: It's majorly for work. I will be using a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D on the 3D dev front. I am also going to use a lot of VS 2010 for Kinect dev.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: My budget is 40k. Just for the CPU. I can extend it by 10k if it really pays off in the long run.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: I'm gonna use my old 1tb internal.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I don't need to buy a new PSU. Also, there's no need for keyboards/speakers/mice.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within the next 2 weeks.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, I have been building my desktops for quite some time now.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: I will be buying in Kolkata. However, if there's an appreciable price difference I can make it in Delhi as well. And yes, I'm open to online purchases.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: 1. My college is in a very very hot place. Special attention to cooling.
2. I want the assembly to be as power efficient as possible.

OP
H

hellboygr8

Broken In
Time for some questions:

1. The mobo: Can I cut a little cost here without sacrificing much on the performance part (like a z68 perhaps?)?

2. ATI FirePro V5800 Professional vs Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5: There's a difference of around 8k. Will I see an overall improvement if I spend that cash on a new SSD?

3. Deepcool Frostwin or CM Hyper 212 EVO? I wasn't able to find any head to head comparisons.

Finally, I need RAM as well.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Assuming that you need only Processor + Motherboard + graphics card + Chissis, you may get these:

Intel Core I5-2500K @12.5K
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO @2.2K
Asus P8Z77-M PRO @10K
ATI FirePro V5800 Professional@23.5K
NZXT Gamma @2.3K
Total: 49.5K

This one overshoots your budget. If you wnat to get normal graphics card instead of workstation card, go with
Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 @15.6K

Then your budget will come down to: 41.6K

For CPU cooler you may also look at:
Deepcool Frostwin @2.7K Flipkart Link

And if you want to lower the budget of cabinet, look at NZXT Source 210 Elite @1.8K

Answer your your PM:

Mobo: I've suggested Asus P8Z77-M PRO @10K, which is cheapest z77 motherboard from Asus with moderate Overclocking capability. People may suggest you AsRock Z77 Extreme4 at the sam price tag, but that board have LLC problem and therefore is bad.
You won't get any cheaper choices there in motherboard section without sacrificing performence.

About GPU, ATI FirePro V5800 is professional graphics card instend for the type of use you have mentioned, It is not for gaming.
On the other hand, 7850 is gaming card.
RAM: G.Skill RipJawsX 12800CL9S-4GBXL @1.5K (from flipkart) [4GB]
If you need 8GB, buy two of these.
Deepcool frostwin is better than Hyper212 EVO.

Before you reach 10 posts, your posts won't be visible without approval from mod(s).

OP
H

hellboygr8

Broken In
I checked prices here in Kol as well as on Flipkart. The M Pro is around 13k while the M is for 10k. What's the difference between the two? And will the M hamper my system?

Also, I needed some recommendation for a SSD.

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
You can go for the ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 as your works won't require extreme OC'ing IMO. BTW the board has 8+4 phase power design and is a good OC'er but the LLC is not as good as ASUS. But its not something that'll get you killed in the long run. The board does have good reviews and you can go for it.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
And will the M hamper my system?

Not unless you plan to use more than one graphics card. It is a m-atx board, and thats why, if you use more than one graphics card, no space would be there in between those two graphic cards.

OP
H

hellboygr8

Broken In
One more question, I have a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 500W. Will that be enough to power this rig with mild OC?

OP
H

hellboygr8

Broken In
So, this is like the final config:

i5 2500k
gigabyte z77d3h
firepro v5800
ripjawsx 8gb
ocz agility 3 60gb
wd caviar blue 1tb
deepool frostwin
corsair gs600
nzxt gamma

How i it looking?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@hellboygr8

If you can find a firepro v4900 then go for it instead of v5800.It performs close to v5800 and in many case it performs better.It is available at ebay for 14.2k.

Go for a larger capacity ssd like:CORSAIR SSD FORCE GT SERIES 120GB for 9K.

If you are going for cards like v4900 or v5800 then u dont need that much of power.
You can go for corsair cx430v2 or cx500v2.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
So, this is like the final config:

i5 2500k
gigabyte z77d3h
firepro v5800
ripjawsx 8gb
ocz agility 3 60gb
wd caviar blue 1tb
deepool frostwin
corsair gs600
nzxt gamma

How i it looking?

Looks good.
Consider changing SSD to Corsair Force Series 60GB.

Cilus

laborare est orare
All the applications mentioned by you are actually very highly multi-threaded and very much optimized for multi-core Processors. So an AMD 6 core Phenom II or FX8100 series is also recommended here.

AMD FX 8150 (8 Cores, 3.6 GHz, 8 MB L2, 8 MB L3) @ 11.675K
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ 6.6K
G-skill RipjawX 4GB X 2 1600 MHz @ 3.1K
ATI FirePro V5800 Professional@23.5K
Seasonic SS12 II 620W 80+ Bronze PSU @ 4.6K

Total @ 46.4K. Other option is Phenom II X6 1100T @ 10K

OP
H

hellboygr8

Broken In
If I'm looking at everyday performance will the amd procs be good? And are we talking about a major performance boost here? Also, I read some discussions and an article about how windows 7 cripples the AMD procs.

Also, can anyone link me to some good benchmarks of workstation cards?

Finally, why the corsair force over the ocz agility?

vkl

Cyborg Agent
@hellboygr8
If possible go for v4900 as it costs 9k less than v5800 but performs mostly better than v5800.v4900 is a newer generation card than v5800.
v4900 review

bench1
bench2

For a bigger step up in performance you have to go for atleast firepro v5900 which costs more than 30k.

For day to day usage you wont notice the difference between an i5 2500k and an fx8150.In single threaded tasks i5 2500k is a clear winner.
The applications you are going to use are highly multi-threaded which are suited for fx8150(not to say that i5 2500k is not good at multi-threaded tasks).
So choose processor as for your requirements.

Top Bottom