Computers to be as intelligent as humans by 2030

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

In the zone
London, February 16: *www.topnews.in/files/computer-human.jpgA leading scientific "futurologist" envisions that the speed at which technological advancements are taking place may lead computer power to be on a par with the intelligence of human brains in the next two decades.
American computer guru Ray Kurzweil reckons that there will be 32 times more technical progress during the next half century than there was in the entire 20th century.
One of such outcomes may be artificial intelligence matching human intellect the 2020s, he says.
While addressing the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) in Boston, he said that machines would rapidly overtake humans in their intellectual abilities, and would soon be able to solve some of the most intractable problems of the 21st century.
Kurzweil was one of 18 maverick thinkers who had been chosen to identify the greatest technological challenges facing humanity.
He said that machines would far surpass human intelligence as they learnt how to communicate, teach and replicate among themselves.
He revealed that his prediction was based on the calculations that computer chips had been doubling in power every two years for the past half-century.
"The paradigm shift rate is now doubling every decade, so the next half century will see 32 times more technical progress than the last half century. Computation, communication, biological technologies – for example, DNA sequencing – brain scanning, knowledge of the human brain, and human knowledge in general are all accelerating at an ever-faster pace, generally doubling price-performance, capacity and bandwidth every year," the Independent quoted him as saying.
Kurzweil pointed out that computers had been based on two-dimensional chips made from silicon to date, but scientists had developed techniques to create three-dimensional chips with vastly improved performances.
He said that 3-D chips could also be constructed from biological molecules, which may enable them to be miniaturised even more than metal-based computer chips.
"Three-dimensional, molecular computing will provide the hardware for human-level 'strong artificial intelligence' by the 2020s. The more important software insights will be gained in part from the reverse engineering of the human brain, a process well under way. Already, two dozen regions of the human brain have been modelled and simulated," he said.
Kurzweil further said that computers were on their way to creating a "post-human" world where a second, intelligent entity would exist alongside people.
"Once non-biological intelligence matches the range and subtlety of human intelligence, it will necessarily soar past it because of the continuing acceleration of information-based technologies, as well as the ability of machines to instantly share their knowledge," he said.
"We are understanding disease and ageing processes as information processes, and are gaining the tools to reprogramme them. RNA interference, for example, allows us to turn selected genes off, and new forms of gene therapy are enabling us to effectively add new genes. Within two decades, we will be in a position to stop and reverse the progression of disease and ageing resulting in dramatic gains in health and longevity," he added. (ANI)
*www.topnews.in/computers-be-intelligent-humans-2030-221143

mediator

Technomancer
Quite a "futurologist". Maybe they'll be able to feel, reproduce, develop common sense, 6th sense, emotions, telepathy etc as well. I guess my "belief" that humans being the greatest invention of "someone" is only getting stronger. BTW, nice article. :)

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
ALSO in 2030

INS-ANI Was the first to be fired from the company that he works for
because he was replaced by a computer smarter and faster then him.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Matching a human brain is just an imaginary shot.

Even we don't know the working of whole brain yet.

An ounce of intelligent behavior can be incorporated.

x3060

A LOTR fan
comps will never match our level of thinking . . impossible . but its a good dream to dream on .

OP
INS-ANI

INS-ANI

In the zone
ALSO in 2030

INS-ANI Was the first to be fired from the company that he works for
because he was replaced by a computer smarter and faster then him.
:D am scared........
how can i kick my self? coz in 2030 , i see myself running an psyco workshop and yoga centre to tackle the stress,burnout,overheating caused to Intelligent computers.

computers cannot match humans;may be they will be able to excel in some key areas.
I agree, comp AI cant be as dynamic as human's. We human dont take decision based on some algorithms, rather its a mixture of intelligence,experience and emotions.
What the article meant probably was that comp can be taught to follow more complex algorithms.
consider a domestic robot cooking food. Yes, in future one can certainly expect it to make as good food as human,coz it is just following a set of rules or algo........but it may not be able to invent new dishes.

And one thing to sure abt.... :rolleyes: they comp will never match human on Emotions...

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
+ It was said in 1970's that computers will be as intelligent as humans by 2000 ;).

The field of AI has been stagnant for the last couple of decades and no ray of hope seemes to emerge .

So in my Opinions , as of current , computers will not get anywhere close the human brain .

saubrl

Broken In
those who are predicting, are a little fast. But it is sure that computers can be more intelligent than humans.

praka123

left this forum longback
I will predict comptuers will be very Intelligent when "GNUNIX" will be launched in 2083!~~! :D ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom