Computer Wont startup!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachitar

Journeyman
Yup thats the problem
When i on the comp,the green light on the CPU lights up but the Red light for the HDD blinks and goes off and doesnt light back on.
The monitor green light(next to the on button) just keeps blinking.
When i remove the signal wire connecting the CPU and and monitor i get a white screen(indicating that something is working!!!)
WHat can be the problem?
I have made sure that the RAM is in proper contact and that the HDD bus cable is properly attached
Please Help

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Pls give more details. What is your config ? Is it newly assembled or have you been using it for some time ? Did the fault show up gradually or did it suddenly refuse to turn on one fine day ? In the meantime -

Disconnect all drives (both data and power cables), turn it on and see if you get the POST screen. If not, clear the CMOS and try again.

Mr.47

Broken In
1.when u switch on press the insert button on the keyboard.
2.press f1 or del button to enter into your bios
see anything is wrong or not
3.remove and reput ure agp card
also try bieng more clear on the wires ure talking

infernus

Broken In
Had met the same problem twice. For the first time, i dusted my cpu's interiors and then it started up fine. For the second time, it turned out that my modem got overheated, and then i had to send it for service. It might also be a problem corresponding to the monitor. Most probably, this is a case of overheating of some devices. Hope this helps.

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
pimpom said:
Pls give more details. What is your config ? Is it newly assembled or have you been using it for some time ? Did the fault show up gradually or did it suddenly refuse to turn on one fine day ? In the meantime -

Disconnect all drives (both data and power cables), turn it on and see if you get the POST screen. If not, clear the CMOS and try again.

Well my comp is pretty old about 6 years but the HDD is brand new
Its a P2 400 Mhz
Also i had assembled the PC.
My comp had got hanged and when i restarted it by the button(manually) it didnt start up
When i turn the comp on nothing comes on the monitor no BIOS nothing,its as if nothing is being loaded only
Also how can i clear the CMOS.
Thanks for the help

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
Mr.47 said:
1.when u switch on press the insert button on the keyboard.
2.press f1 or del button to enter into your bios
see anything is wrong or not
3.remove and reput ure agp card
also try bieng more clear on the wires ure talking

Nothing comes up on the monitor.
There are only 2 wires going to the monitor one from the SMPS and the other
wire is from the CPU to the monitor interaction(one from where the signal goes
Thanks

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
infernus said:
Had met the same problem twice. For the first time, i dusted my cpu's interiors and then it started up fine. For the second time, it turned out that my modem got overheated, and then i had to send it for service. It might also be a problem corresponding to the monitor. Most probably, this is a case of overheating of some devices. Hope this helps.

Thanks i will try this

blacklight

Journeyman
clearing the bios may help u.
to clear the bios,just remove the bios battery/cell ,wait 10 secs,replace battery.

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi
Just check the modules of the RAM are good...in the sense that they are functioing properly.... like put in ur frnd's machine.... The RAM must have bursted out....
My frnd had the same problem and replaced the RAM.....

Regards,
Ramprasad

Tech&ME

Banned
Your monitor might be acting up. Check the monitor by connecting it to another Computer. If it works fine on the other computer, u might have problem with either SMPS or Mobo, check that up next also.

Btw. do u get any beeps ??

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
When ur hdd red light goes off , is ur System Box Green light also on or does it go off too . When u switch on ur pc , check if ur smps fan rotates , just use ur hands or a torch (better) to verify if ur smps fan is rotating or just stops after a few seconds . If ur smps fans come up for a few seconds and then goes off , then smps is bad . check with ur friends smps on ur system . If ur smps is still running but u dont get hdd activity try these steps after trying all of the above suggestions by others

- Remove ur power and data cable for ur hdd .
- Remove all additional devices and let the system boot alone .
- if ur system boots up with a screen , start adding each device and checking the system .
- Do u have a PCI vga card or integrated ?
- If PCI , change the cards position or move it to the top most slot of the m/b

For futher steps , write down what happens after u try all of the steps given in this post . will be easier to pin point the problem

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
blacklight said:
to clear the bios,just remove the bios battery/cell ,wait 10 secs,replace battery.

Ok thanks will try this.
BTW can u explain where exactly is the BIOS.
I have never experimented with my comp to get to know all this;)

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
Tech&ME said:
Your monitor might be acting up. Check the monitor by connecting it to another Computer. If it works fine on the other computer, u might have problem with either SMPS or Mobo, check that up next also.

Btw. do u get any beeps ??

No i dont get any beeps!!!

OP
R

rachitar

Journeyman
klinux said:
When ur hdd red light goes off , is ur System Box Green light also on or does it go off too . When u switch on ur pc , check if ur smps fan rotates , just use ur hands or a torch (better) to verify if ur smps fan is rotating or just stops after a few seconds . If ur smps fans come up for a few seconds and then goes off , then smps is bad . check with ur friends smps on ur system . If ur smps is still running but u dont get hdd activity try these steps after trying all of the above suggestions by others

- Remove ur power and data cable for ur hdd .
- Remove all additional devices and let the system boot alone .
- if ur system boots up with a screen , start adding each device and checking the system .
- Do u have a PCI vga card or integrated ?
- If PCI , change the cards position or move it to the top most slot of the m/b

For futher steps , write down what happens after u try all of the steps given in this post . will be easier to pin point the problem

The green light glows and the SMPS fan is working
I have a Radeon AGP card,PCI are: Modem,LAN card and sound card
I tried those steps but the monitor just shows a blank black screen with the green light on the monitor blinking and the CPU green light ON.
I have to try with someone else's RAM though the same procedure
Thanks

Tech&ME

Banned
rachitar said:
blacklight said:

Ok thanks will try this.
BTW can u explain where exactly is the BIOS.
I have never experimented with my comp to get to know all this;)

What do u mean where exactly is the BIOS ?? Well in general, your motherboard contains a chip called the BIOS chip where the CMOS settings resides.

In order to change the CMOS/BIOS settings press DEL key from your keyboard during the POST (POWER ON SELF TEST). You will be taken to a blue screen with various menu like interface.

If u want to reset the CMOS/BIOS settings to the factory settings, there are two ways of doing this.

Method 1 :

Remove the Battery from the motherboard and replace in after few seconds.

Method 2 :

U can consult your motherboard manual to locate the jumper for BIOS settings. Generally it is near the battery. In most cases, u will be required to sort the pin 1 and pin 3 for a few seconds ( please consult your motherboard manual for exact procedure in this case ).

CAUTION: Editing the CMOS/BIOS settings encorrectly can be dangerous for your computer, so if u do not have any idea , do not change any settings.

daj123

Journeyman
Just remove all the cards from you PC including the RAM. Now start it up. Does it beep? If so put in the AGP card. Try again. Does it beep? If yes, put in the RAM and start it up. Continue putting in one part at a time until you find the 'rogue' or 'bad' component.

prasathvishnu

Broken In
The problem will b most probably with AGP/Video.

If urs is external graphics card, then take it. clean it n insert it correctly.

if u have option for changing clock speeds thru jumpers/switches, make sure that they r in correct setting.

bcoz surely it wont start n u wont get any symptom wat so ever. hard to detect.

make sure that RAM works fine. make sure ur RAM slot is good by getting ur frnds RAM..... but u will get beep if ram/ram slot is not working

try removing hdd power cable n cdd power cable one by one n check if screen is shown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom