Computer for Audio Recording

Status
Not open for further replies.

navraj

Broken In
We record live audio at religious concerts. I want to build a new PC for the same so that we can record the Audio, convert it into MP3 and sell it off. I want a PC with decent configuration but it should not be on a very high budget as it is all for NON-PROFIT use.

I myself was thinking of going for below mentioned configuration:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 - HTPC
RAM: 3 GB Kingston
HDD: 500 GB SATA (Seagate)
Cabinet: iBall Work Horse
DVD Writer: Sony

I already have Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor.

Please help me with updates. I can shell out 20K for the CPU.

Krow

Crowman
Good enough config. Look for DDR3 based configs. Unless you need an HTPC board, buy MSI 785GM-E51 @ 4.6k and 2x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 5k.

Cabinet: CM Elite 335 @ 2.1k
DVD Writer: LG GH22NS630 @ 1.1k
Phenom II X2 550 is for 5k. or look for Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k (Quad core)
Get a decent SMPS too, like Gigabyte 460W Superb @ 2.2k.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
We record live audio at religious concerts. I want to build a new PC for the same so that we can record the Audio, convert it into MP3 and sell it off. I want a PC with decent configuration but it should not be on a very high budget as it is all for NON-PROFIT use.

I myself was thinking of going for below mentioned configuration:

Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 550
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78 - HTPC
RAM: 3 GB Kingston
HDD: 500 GB SATA (Seagate)
Cabinet: iBall Work Horse
DVD Writer: Sony

I already have Keyboard, Mouse & Monitor.

Please help me with updates. I can shell out 20K for the CPU.

What exactly will the PC do. Will it also 'record' the audio. Or will it process/edit it to different sound formats..?

OP
navraj

navraj

Broken In
What exactly will the PC do. Will it also 'record' the audio. Or will it process/edit it to different sound formats..?

Yes. This PC will be used to record the Audio. I'll be using the LINE IN point of the Sound Card to get the audio input and record it using Audacity.

Last edited:

CA50

Cyborg Agent
Good enough config. Look for DDR3 based configs. Unless you need an HTPC board, buy MSI 785GM-E51 @ 4.6k and 2x2GB DDR3 RAM @ 5k.

Cabinet: CM Elite 335 @ 2.1k
DVD Writer: LG GH22NS630 @ 1.1k
Phenom II X2 550 is for 5k. or look for Athlon II X4 620 @ 5.5k (Quad core)
Get a decent SMPS too, like Gigabyte 460W Superb @ 2.2k.

:-D:-D
i think he need a pc just to record sound, that can even be done by a p4, a quad core is simply a waste:mrgreen:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Ideally it should be...the basic wireframe.

1. Decent motherboard with IGP (P45/P34)
2. Decent processor. (C2D)
3. Great sound card. (Xonar Series)
4. Really quick HDD. (Raptors)

He will probably not game, so no GPU.

Krow

Crowman
Ideally it should be...the basic wireframe.

1. Decent motherboard with IGP (P45/P34)
2. Decent processor. (C2D)
3. Great sound card. (Xonar Series)
4. Really quick HDD. (Raptors)

He will probably not game, so no GPU.
If I am not mistaken, P series does not have IGP. The given AMD config will be better and cheaper than this. Besides, Phenom II X2 550 is a dual core and a really fast one, much mopre VFM and much better than E7500 which is for 6k. The AMD IGP (HD4200) is much much much better than any Intel IGP. So the AMD config is cheaper and better than the Intel one. :)

Agreed with point 3.

Nah to point 4. NO to Raptors, waste of money IMHO. A WD Black 1TB @ 6.5k will do the same job. Heck, even a Seagate 7200.12 will do it. WD Blue or 7200.12 should be ideal. WD Green series to be avoided.

Just my two paise. :)

For recording audio anything will do, even an Intel Atom based system-on-a-board for around 3.5K.

Onboard soundchips are capable enough to record audio. If you want multichannel audio recording, you should look for a good sound card. In that case ensure that the motherboard has free PCI or PCIe 1x lanes available.

The bulk of your investment should be in a good mic set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom