Compressing an .iso image

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
hi people, how do i compress an iso file? winzip cant, since it says it doesn't support file sizes so large. winrar cant, gives the error "cannot modify volume". it may sound stupid, but i need t know, coz when i try to write it to a dvd, it exceed the capacity. (am trying to write it as a data cd)

or if i try to write it from the image, will it work? also any freeware,simple iso editor around?

redhat

Mad and Furious
U must burn the image to the disk.

Compressing it will not help if the size of the image is larger than that of your disk.

shashank4u

Youngling
WinRar does support large files ....
and also try using 7zip from 7-zip.org, compression ratio 2-10 % and its a freeware..

xbonez

NP : Crysis
hey i comfortably compress dvd iso images using winrar though the size difference is negligible. i guess an iso image isn't very good at getting compressed

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

well, actually its a game iso. i have tried with winrar, but it gives the error "cannot modify volume". any workaround for this?

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
mean what do ya wanna do , simply the burn the ISO on the required media man ,

i think you're trying to compress the iso an save it as the normal file onto a CD/DVD , well i think that wouldn't be possible coz ISO contains a lot of metadata and filesystem info so that wouldn't fit onto the media if you try to write it as a normal file , just write the ISO sirectly using Alcohol 120% or ISObuster

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
U can select the option to split the archive into sizes of 100mb each and that way u can possibly compress the iso file.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Harvik780 said:
U can select the option to split the archive into sizes of 100mb each and that way u can possibly compress the iso file.

well u'll achieve very futile compression ratios so it's better you don't try to compress it , if the image is larger than hte media n u really do want to write it as normal data then put it into a winrar archive , select the compression type to "store" n then select part siez that uwant the image to be splitted into , this way u can write hte image as normal data .

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

thnx guys n zeeshan too for the replies, i guess i'll write it as an image only, n not a data file. one more question tho, wich softie do i use to insert a file into the iso image, widout altering it in any way.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
gauravakaasid said:
thnx guys n zeeshan too for the replies, i guess i'll write it as an image only, n not a data file. one more question tho, wich softie do i use to insert a file into the iso image, widout altering it in any way.

well i use UltraISO to edit an image n it works perfectly

OP
gauravakaasid

gauravakaasid

^ i dint want to do that, coz i has another file to go along with the iso file. but now that seems the only choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom