Compaq refusing 40GB Harddisk..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjithbajpe

Journeyman
Hi, :D

I got compaq Dekpro 2000 series pc. The old hard disk of 2Gb was not working. So i put a new 40GB / 7000 rpm Samsung Harddisk. But the pc is not detecting the harddisk :!: . I have allready tried all the jumper settings in hard disk. Is there any jumper setting in mother board?
Ram = 16 MB
Processor = Pentium 1

For this configuration can I browse the net :?:

PLease help me :roll:

theraven

Technomancer
ur pc doesnt support hdd's over .... 10-20 gb i think .. not sure
basically the point being ur motherboard just wont detect/support a 40 gb
upgrade

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
*www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/support/faqs/faqs_20000918_0000000040.htm

- change jumper to 32gb limit .

- is it not shown at all in the bios ?
- remove any cdrom if u got
- switch ide from primary to secondary
- clear cmos
- try upgrading the bios from compaq site
- if its detected in bios
- go to samsungs site and download disk manager and make a bootable floppy with the app
- when u boot with it , it will recognize ur hdd
- there is an option to install hard disk overlay on the hdd . it acts as a go between ur bios and os . i think its under maintainence option . it will prompt u to prepare disk , click no and go to maintainence option
- once it is installed reboot the system and u will see a blue bar which states ontrack disk overlay . and give u option to boot from floppy or cd . insert the win98 boot cd and install 98 .

- IMPORTANT . just install the hard disk overlay first and then restart with win98 cd and then partition . DONT partition from the ontrack disk manager itself as it will erase the hdd overlay .
- i am running a 30 gb with a p1 - 133 using disk overlay , very useful . btw , keep the floppy with u too . u can create an mbr backup once u installed 98 .

Rajesh_K

Broken In
theraven said:
ur pc doesnt support hdd's over .... 10-20 gb i think .. not sure
basically the point being ur motherboard just wont detect/support a 40 gb
upgrade

Raven's right about your system not detecting your HD. P1, It's definetly time for a SERIOUS upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom