Comp not starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
My comp had been running fine,

today all of a sudden, it has stopped booting a.k.a no BIOS itself,
the monitor jus blinks, the HDD lite jus blinks wen i give power for a microsecond,
the ower button is well lit but no HDD lite,

I dont think its the HDD thats gone coz till yesterday, it was workin lke a horse.

is it the problem with the ram or HDD or sumthin else ?

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
RAM most probably ..
Take out RAM sticks .. blow the dust away ... clean it a little .. clean the RAM slots
Put it back .. in other slot or exchage the slots of both sticks (if you have 2)
Start ..
If it doesnt .. then .. take the RAM to friend's comp and test it there .. and/or bring friend's RAM to your comp and check.

-----
alibi

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
take the RAM to someone else's comp and check .. and bring his/her RAM to your comp and check ..
RAM is the most common culprit ..

also you need to check for Power Supply's malfunction .. but I think you'll need a technician for that. Make sure RAM is right .. then call in for some help

-----
alibi

d

Journeyman
mmm no sounds also? if there is some kind of beep or something, check out the error codes for your mobo. also try resetting the cmos to defaults using the jumper..and check if all PCI card and all such stuff is properly plugged in......and check if the processor's fine, like no shaky heatsinks and stuff...tho u shldnt hv these kinda things if it was workin fine till yesterday....

OP
QwertyManiac

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
@alibi = k , will check it at friends in a day or two

no , no beeps even if i start the comp witout a RAM crd

UPS battery is a bit low and also i used to get memory refrence errors earlier when i used to copy anything in Vb 6

Alll connexions i have checked and strengthened, no PCI card, tried BIOS in all 3 modes but no avail

Is it the battery which is gone ?

hunt

Broken In
Check

You can check the battery

1> Place this battery in any other computer and see if beeps is coming without any ram
2>Or you can put a power on password ,if the battery is fine it will keep the password in it during POST
if the power on password is iconfigured but during POST its not asking for it BAD LUCK battery is gone.

Moreover can u go for a bios update.

d

Journeyman
ram slots? surely you mean the RAM PCB's? you can't take out the ram slots they're mounted on to the motherboards(surface mount devices) and i don't see any necessity for you to take out the SMPS fan....it is generally advisable not to screw with the SMPS as capacitors inside can give dangerous discharges even when powered off. as to the RAM, it can be taken out by pressing down on the clips on both the sides of the RAM. when you press down on it, it moves outward to the slot, and the RAM will come out.

q3_abhi

Youngling
This happened with my friend.

Wat he did was removed all the parts of CPU which were possible to remove, cleaned them,re-assembled them n his Comp started working.
Check out the connections.

OP
QwertyManiac

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
alib_i said:
also you need to check for Power Supply's malfunction .. but I think you'll need a technician for that. Make sure RAM is right .. then call in for some help

alibi

U r rite it was the SMPS

Well, now i got another one installed - a 450W one
Thnx for ur help all !

theraven

Technomancer
no beeps ? and monitor blinks ?
then its ur GPU !
check if its properly inserted
try it on another computer
if both dun work then its bust .. sorry

Status