Comp doesnt shutdown!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
hi guys....im posting after a long time.....
my comp has dedveloped a problem after a power surge..wen in windows i say shutdown it logs off then it restarts....it doesnt stop..wat can b the problem?

slugger

Banned
r u runnin win2k3? i 2 face dis prob sumtime [no particular frquency]
wonder y?

i dont tihkn its got anytihn 2 do wit d surge 'cause i got a spike guard

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
try these different methods , they may help..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63683

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
@slugger:nope win xp...,no spike guard but ups is there.....
@phenom:it does all the routines for shutdown but instead of totaly going off it restarts.....

it is as if the comp is made to shut down but with the power-on switch shorted....(tho it is not shorted...:))

Last edited:

sashijoseph

In the zone
Try disabling 'Auto restart' feature and note any error message displayed during shutdown.
My Computer > Properties > Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

slugger

Banned
never enabled it, still d comp restarts but in no particular freq

*img76.imageshack.us/img76/589/restartmu0.gif

slugger

Banned
Vishal Gupta said:
@romeo
Also try to update the VGA drivers. ;)

VGA drivers r 4 grafix cards na?

aaaaa dat cud b d reason 4 restart, 'cause my NVIDIA drivers r 2-2.5 yrs old. d newer NVIDIA drivers don't get installed

but y only infrequent restarts and not all d time

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
@vishal....dude the screen after a boot is fine only for few secs then it fades and all waves like flow across the screen....and how r not-being-able-to-shutdown and vga drivers connected?
@sashijoseph:they all r proper....

abhra

Broken In
Originally Posted by romeo_8693
dude the screen after a boot is fine only for few secs then it fades and all waves like flow across the screen....

that happens when electricity supply is erratic (combined with your monitor's refresh rate) or there is an electromagnetic interference. As for your restart, you can run antivirus to check your system files. Also, check your mobo battery (small one) & your psu - one of these may be the culprit.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
romeo_8693 said:
@vishal....dude the screen after a boot is fine only for few secs then it fades and all waves like flow across the screen....and how r not-being-able-to-shutdown and vga drivers connected?
@sashijoseph:they all r proper....
I was just trying to help u. If u don't want it, then its OK. :)
I suggested to update VGA drivers coz I hv observed most of the times that such power related problems are caused by faulty or old VGA drivers.

OP
romeo_8693

romeo_8693

"The RaCaLaNGeL"©
@vishal...ur taking me wrong dude...i was giving more info to u....may b d sentence formation was nt right..bt i dint mean to b rude.....and abt vga i just wanted to know d reason....pls no hard feelings

can it b bcos of heatin of display controller???

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
No problem buddy. Its OK. :)
Actually as I earlier said, if ur VGA drivers are not updated then sometimes u can face such strange problems. So try to update the drivers.

slugger

Banned
usually removing d CMOS battery 4 around 10 mins duz d job.

in d BIOS der is also an option 4 loading fail safe defaults, u may want 2 try dat. but i seriously doubt dat it wud solve d problem, cause 'earlier [and even now] i used 2 format d hdd and reinstall d OS every other day, so had 2 reset d bios [4 sum reason my install stalls in middle wit my customised bios settings], but even wit fail-safe defults, my comp restarted

did u try installin all d win patches dat auto update throws @ u, 'cause i just noticed dat ever since i patched my OS d reinstall issue seems 2 have disasapeared [it is ne way so infrequent dat it doesn't really bother me]

Try keepin ur OS up2date with all updates installed and c if it helps

Liggy

Is actually a real word..
actually this sounds like the sassar virus, you boot the computer then it shuts down correct?

slugger

Banned
Liggy said:
actually this sounds like the sassar virus, you boot the computer then it shuts down correct?
d problem seems 2 b just d opposite, d comp just does not shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom