Cloning C: drive

bubusam13

Human
Hi guys, I got a new 1TB HDD and I want an exact copy of my C: drive of my old HDD. I going to sell my old HDD.
How do I accomplish the same ? Pls recommend free tools. I am going to male a 250 GB partition in the new HDD for C: drive and I want it bootable.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can try macrium reflect free version.however my suggestion is don't do anything before thoroughly reading the help manual.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
Ok, Thank you all. I had another question.

I will make 4 partitions. C,D,E,F. I want D and E inaccessible to other accounts. Since my bro and parents use my PC too. How to achieve that. I don't want software like disk locker which encrypts the disk. Because it I forgot the password, I may be in trouble. I want that when I login to my account, these drives are accessible, and when logged form another account, these drives are inaccessible.

How to achieve this ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it depends on how familiar you are with using ntfs security permissions in windows xp/7.in ntfs formatted drives you can set security permission on the root of a drive & then by inheritance rule can transfer permissions to all child objects inside that drive.by default group "everyone" has access.you can remove it & specifically set "guest" user group to deny even "read" permission so when someone logged in using a guest account try to double-click on drive icon in my computer an error message saying "you do not have sufficient privileges to access" will appear.

OP
bubusam13

bubusam13

Human
it depends on how familiar you are with using ntfs security permissions in windows xp/7.in ntfs formatted drives you can set security permission on the root of a drive & then by inheritance rule can transfer permissions to all child objects inside that drive.by default group "everyone" has access.you can remove it & specifically set "guest" user group to deny even "read" permission so when someone logged in using a guest account try to double-click on drive icon in my computer an error message saying "you do not have sufficient privileges to access" will appear.

I know about security permissions but many a time made mistake. Can you put a brief tutorial on this ?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
right click on folder/drive properties.then click security tab.click edit to change permissions.new window titled "permission for ..." opens.remove the group/groups(whichever are present) "users/user/everyone/guest".click on apply.you should now see a box running file names titled applying security information.after done click apply/ok.now check after login using guest account & double-clicking the drive in my computer.

Top Bottom