Clean your infected memory sticks, ipods.. easily

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys if you have infected pen drives,memory sticks,ipods... boot into Ubuntu(Linux based OS) connect your infected pen drive and remove unwanted files like FOLDER.EXE, AUTORUN.INI, DRIVE.EXE,...... easily. If the permission is denied to delete such file, you can easily change the file permissions in Ubuntu and permanently delete them.

I have cleaned my pen drive in this same manner. With Ubuntu installed on my system now i can copy files like movies n softwares from my friend's infected system :D.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Easier still you can install clamwin antivirus in Ubuntu and scan your pendrive from commandline using

clamscan -v --remove /dev/sdx

where x is the drive letter of your pen drive. To find this out, after you plugin the pen drive, in command line type

fdisk -l

If you have one hard disk, the pen drive is usually /dev/sdb

Update: For those of you interested search and install clamtk in synaptic

Last edited:
OP
hariharakumar

hariharakumar

Blogger
Easier still you can install clamwin antivirus in Ubuntu and scan your pendrive from commandline using

where x is the drive letter of your pen drive. To find this out, after you plugin the pen drive, in command line type

fdisk -l

i think you dont need anitivirus unless you install wine in your Ubuntu os.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
i think you dont need anitivirus unless you install wine in your Ubuntu os.

It's not for wine, it's for catching windows viruses in Linux mail servers. The install and operation I mentioned is without the real time scanning mode. It is useful to disinfect pendrives, external hard disks and networked windows drives shared through SAMBA. Avira too has a similar product.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.

fdisk -l

we can install clamwin in the pendrive itself..& execute it from there only 2 remove
any viruses..:D

NucleusKore

TheSaint
wow ..... sounds nice ..... bt whot if v dont know the virus name\infected files ?

You don't have to, you just have to know the drive name

I have both clamwin and Avira in manual scan mode on my openSUSE. I use them to disinfect pendrives that I use in college.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Yes, as I said above, it is meant for mailservers running on Linux. Same with Avira.

You have an on demand scanner with which you can integrate with your mail server, I haven't activated that component as my requirement is different.

You can download Avira from here

*www.mediafire.com/?jyzcz9m6tvy

md5sum:e333fe7abd990128316bf46c43c72222

The official mirrors are too slow

Install using the enclosed script as sudo

sudo ./install

When prompted for path to key just press ENTER.

Then in commandline

sudo antivir --update

to update the definitions

and then

antivir -s -e -del /dev/sdx

where x is the drive letter/number. It will scan recursively (s), clean (e) and delete unrepairable (-del) files

You may have to add yourself to the antivir group to use the above

sudo /usr/sbin/usermod -G dialout,video,vboxusers,users,antivir yourusername

Logout and then login again.
use command

antivir-gui

to open the gui. Configure the manual scan options from there is you like

Last edited:

nix

hi guys...
am also facing the same problem... infected pen drives from the college. just cant get rid of them on windows(free AV).
do you suggest bootable linux or HDD based linux?
and pls suggest some easy to install linux...

charm_quark

Right off the assembly line
well i dont see why you are fussing only with linux, you can get rid of it with plain old DOS/cmd prompt, yes indeed it is difficult to clean form with in an infected system, but it is not possible,...

if your system is clean,

Code:
attrib -s -h -r autorun.ini
del autorun.ini

the virus should be some where hidden in your drive

Code:
attrib /s /d
you will see the attribute of all the hidden folders and file's, then delete it

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Does Vista or XP have DOS?
So you'll have to make a DOS boot disk. Will that read ntfs partitions?
Even if you use a Windows shell, will it allow you to touch the system files?

charm_quark

Right off the assembly line
Does Vista or XP have DOS?
my bad i meant shell

Even if you use a Windows shell, will it allow you to touch the system files?

yes it will give you access to all files regardless, all so some programs/virus's use an ACL (Access Control Lists) hence anti-virus's cant access the locked folder, which in turn don't let the anti-virus scan the file/folder,in shell use the command
Code:
cacls

oh and another thing when your in my computer, dont open the the drive by double clicking, click open the "folder" button from the standard bar, once in explorer view then open your drive using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom