Cheapest possible 15" laptop

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Hi,
I need the cheapest possible 15" laptop.

Main requirement is 24x7 runtime capability. Basically, it shouldn't stop working after about a month running 24x7.

Should be powerful enough to play HD videos.
Need at least 2 GB RAM. Will be running Linux.

Intel based laptops preferred.
Also would like to swap stock hdd with ssd if possible. Can it be done on all laptops or just specific ones?

PS: Please don't tell me to buy a desktop. I need a laptop.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
Asus Laptop Price India, Asus X53U-SX181D (AMD Dual Core/2gb/320gb/DOS) Laptop,Buy Asus Laptops Online - Infibeam.com

rider

as Kratos
amd support in linux sucks. intel based lappys are preferred.

Yes, it is but but I read new AMD laptops are fine with linux.. personally not sure.
Fore Intel get:
Asus Laptop Price India, Asus X54C-SX261D (core i3/2gb/500gb/DOS) Laptop,Buy Asus Laptops Online - Infibeam.com

rider

as Kratos
or
Asus X54C-SX316D / 2nd Generation Pentium Dual Core / 2 GB / 500 GB / Free DOS: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Yes, it is but but I read new AMD laptops are fine with linux.. personally not sure.

for A series. not sure if same is done for C & E series.

Also would like to swap stock hdd with ssd if possible. Can it be done on all laptops or just specific ones?

possible on all laptops but may have to remove the cover or bezel of the SSD i.e. void warranty of SSD itself. BTW adding a SSD to a cheap laptop makes no sense. why not go for a premium one at the first place?

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
it will depend on ur mobo, decide one lap and then post the mobo, we can tell after that. but generally it is possible...

possible on all laptops but may have to remove the cover or bezel of the SSD i.e. void warranty of SSD itself. BTW adding a SSD to a cheap laptop makes no sense. why not go for a premium one at the first place?
I m sorry to disagree with you, cause I have done it a week a go in my Hp 2000-2116tu which is a lowest 3rd gen I5 laptop and it actually makes sense to add SSD to a lower end latop to make it a performance m/c.

It will NOT void any warranty. BTW, what is your thought on SSD, that it comes single and to suite what type of m/c??

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Dont really know much about hardware. You guys have to decide one that satisfies all my conditions. I'll but that.

A noob question. If I keep the laptop connected to power supply all the time and keep it on standby mode, will it get damaged?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I m sorry to disagree with you, cause I have done it a week a go in my Hp 2000-2116tu which is a lowest 3rd gen I5 laptop and it actually makes sense to add SSD to a lower end latop to make it a performance m/c.

3rd gen i5 >>>>> any AMD E or C processor. makes sense if the processor is a fast one else it'll reduce startup times but won't deliver the expected performance.

A noob question. If I keep the laptop connected to power supply all the time and keep it on standby mode, will it get damaged?

battery's charge carrying capacity will take a serious hit over a year time and may become completely dead in a couple of years time.

sanjoy.bose

Journeyman
I don't get one thing that's why not willing to give any suggestion, that is, if m/c needs to be connected 24*7 then why laptop!!! and in always standby why SSD!!!

OP
papul1993

papul1993

not a newbie.....
I don't get one thing that's why not willing to give any suggestion, that is, if m/c needs to be connected 24*7 then why laptop!!! and in always standby why SSD!!!

hdds are unreliable. Apart from limited writes, ssd is far superior to hdd.

Top Bottom