changing vista theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i downnloaded a theme it has a shellstyle.dll file i patched my 3 iles in vista and replaced shellstyle restarted explorer.exe no change and no option to select the theme :?

*bump*

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
"shellstyle.dll" file will replace only the "Details Pane" and "new Toolbar" in explorer. Are u sure that this file contains different look for them?

And the theme will appear only when u'll add a msstyles file in "Themes" folder. ;)

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well i downloaded a pack ... it contains:

2 folders:

1. en-US which contains aero.msstyles.mui
2. shell which contains NormalColor folder in which there is shellstyle.dll and another en-US folder which again has aero.msstyles.mui

and in the root there is aeroclear.msstyles

iv copied the .mui file in en-US under shell32
iv copied the shellstyles file in system32 (replaced)
and the msstyles file is in resources/themes

par kuch nahi ho raha ....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Buddy u hv to place all files in "%windir%\Resources\Themes" folder. ;)

Suppose u downloaded a folder named "Aero Clear", then copy the full folder to "Themes" folder. Thats it.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i did that and nothing happend ... and then i copied the files

vishal ... i downloaded another theme this time it had a .theme file ... i copied it to the themes folders but in my personalisation option under theme there is another entry of windows vista with same settings as that of the default vista theme :?

finally got the bloody thing to work .. i just replaced the aero (default) folder with the theme i wanted ... renaming files

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Yeah whenever u copy another theme, u'll get double entries for "Aero" and "basic" in Personalization. ;)
But one entry will be for Default theme and one entry for 3rd party theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom