centOS live CD

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi, im new to linux/centOS.I want to study the Redhat enterprise linux OS.But since Redhat is not free and centOS,which is almost same as redhat and is free to download,i downloaded the centOS 6.0 32 bit live cd.Now i want to know how to make and use the live cd along with windows 7 32 bit.I downloaded the live cd because its small sized and my internet speeds are low.also can i install the version 6.0 O.S from live cd?(i could save time downlnading original O.S:D.thanks

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Just make sure that CD is the first boot device on BIOS. And then put the cd in CD drive and reboot the PC.
Cent OS should start now in live disk mode.

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
nah I don't think you can install it from the liveCD , sorry. You can ofcourse run it as a live cd as mentioned above. Good choice on the OS btw! :)

You have another option, first boot it as a live cd, then transfer it to a usb pen drive with persistence option, that way you won't have to install centos on your harddisk and risk nuking your windows.
This may seem a lilttle difficult , since you are new to unix.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thanks all for your replies.So i have to do something in bios? for dual boot,right?if so can u please explain it?
Also can u explain the use of virtualbox?i searched for it but since i am a neubo i dont understand it,i mean can u plz explain it in simple language,its use?also can i use live cd on virtual machine or do i have to install the original centos O.S for that?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks all for your replies.So i have to do something in bios? for dual boot,right?if so can u please explain it?
Also can u explain the use of virtualbox?i searched for it but since i am a neubo i dont understand it,i mean can u plz explain it in simple language,its use?also can i use live cd on virtual machine or do i have to install the original centos O.S for that?

No. In BIOS you just have to look for a setting called, "First boot device" and set it to CD Drive.
Then set the "Second boot device" to HDD.

And if you want to install the CentOS then you can't do that from the ISO (?) you downloaded. Since Live CD mode means you can just run the environment of Linux temporarily. It won't (or rather can't) be installed.
For that you will have to download the ISO which has the installer.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Thanks,i will try it.

Wat abt virtual box,some guy in the other forum adviced me to use it with centOS.

Wat abt virtual box,some guy in the other forum adviced me to use it with centOS.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks,i will try it.

VirtualBox is a software through which you can try Linux (any OS for that matter) right inside Windows, without the risk to corrupt bootloader or sacrificing a dedicated partition.

But to try Live CD you don't need to worry about it. Just use Live CD like described in previous posts.

OP
Nanducob

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
K,thanks.

hey my cd drive is not working,so i have to use my pendrive instead,i cant seem to do it coz it has to do partition in pendrive and i dont know how to do it..so can u explain the steps how to do it...

Finally succeeded ! :D

Top Bottom