CD Capacity Vs DVD capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

K ASHOK VARDHAN

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys!

I have a doubt regarding the captioned subject. I went to a CD/DVD shop with 3 CDs of 700 MB each and requested him to convert 3 CDs into 1 DVD.I wondered 3 CDs makes 3x700 = 2.1 GB and DVD cap is 4.3 GB. Why it is not possible.

He said 2 DVDs are required to write 3 CDs. I asked him how a 3 hr movie is written in 1 DVD in such a case. He said that movie DVD format is different. What all about these formats and DVD quality, I am breaking my head. Will you please throw some light on this?

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
He has taken you for a ride!! He's cheating you!! Yes, you can write 6 CDs of data
in 1 DVD.

TechGuru#1

In the zone
K ASHOK VARDHAN said:
[CRAP]....................

He said 2 DVDs are required to write 3 CDs.

..................[/CRAP]

Ohh....MUST B TRUE na!*hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/929063.gif
I didNOT Knew either !*hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/1977335.gif

but why such mistake by me?
WHY...WHY WHY ???? *hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/8875963.gif

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
I think the question itself is vague. It seems that you wanted to convert the VCD format into DVD format and then write the DVD. I think, in that case the shopkeeper is right in telling you that the DVD format is different. But if you want to just copy the dat files in the vcd to a single DVD, then six VCD can be accommodated in one DVD. The size/min of VCD and DVD is as follows:
VCD 10mb/min
DVD 30-70mb/min depending on the qulaity.
so in a 80 min cd is to be converted to DVD format, nearly three times space is required. I hope you understood my point.

Last edited:

thetopcyborg

Journeyman
Ramakrishnan said:
I think the question itself is vague. It seems that you wanted to convert the VCD format into DVD format and then write the DVD. I think, in that case the shopkeeper is right in telling you that the DVD format is different. But if you want to just copy the dat files in the vcd to a single DVD, then six VCD can be accommodated in one DVD. The size/min of VCD and DVD is as follows:
VCD 10mb/min
so in a 80 min cd is to be converted to DVD format, nearly three times space is required. I hope you understood my point.
i think that way u can burn 4CDs onto 1 DVD.....as i once converted burnt 3VCDs and the DVD was filled to about 3/4th(i may be wrong with the figures)

damnthenet

Journeyman
K ASHOK VARDHAN said:
Hi Guys!

I have a doubt regarding the captioned subject. I went to a CD/DVD shop with 3 CDs of 700 MB each and requested him to convert 3 CDs into 1 DVD.I wondered 3 CDs makes 3x700 = 2.1 GB and DVD cap is 4.3 GB. Why it is not possible.

He said 2 DVDs are required to write 3 CDs. I asked him how a 3 hr movie is written in 1 DVD in such a case. He said that movie DVD format is different. What all about these formats and DVD quality, I am breaking my head. Will you please throw some light on this?
Please tell clearly if you wanted just the same VCD format files in the DVD media or DVD format files in DVD media.........
If it's the former, then the shop keemer might be right, but I'm ignorant of why anyone w'd need to convert the DAT format to heavier VOB for the same or even poorer quality as the DAT
If it's the other case, then the shopkeeper must be lying

OP
K

K ASHOK VARDHAN

Right off the assembly line
Thank You Guys.On receipt of your replies, I further enquired with some experts and found that the shop keeper is right. Coz the format and bitrate used for CD writing for video recording is different from DVD format and bitrate. If we want to have very good quality Video, 3CDs can not be accommodated in 1 DVD with the video format used for Video DVD burning. If you accommodate by reducing the bitrate the quality will be reduced.

k_blues24

Journeyman
It's true that u can write 6 CDs in one DVD but it also depends on the format of files as Ramkrishnan said :
VCD 10mb/min
so in a 80 min cd is to be converted to DVD format, nearly three times space is required.
I hope you understood my point.

And u also ask 4 How 3-4 movies r stored in a DVD :
this 3-4 movies are first copied to HDD then their quality, subtitles, resolutions etc. are reduces that affects on the picture quality u cann't get pleasure frm it, all images are not in the proper declairation (slightly blurrish).

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
Don't think there's much to add. Except...
TechGuru#1 said:
Ohh....MUST B TRUE na!*hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/929063.gif
I didNOT Knew either !*hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/1977335.gif

but why such mistake by me?
WHY...WHY WHY ???? *hobober.goto.com.ru/ftp/LJ/userpic8/8875963.gif

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif
Man, you really do put quite an effort into your posts. Not to mention, emotions. ;)

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
K ASHOK VARDHAN said:
Thank You Guys.On receipt of your replies, I further enquired with some experts and found that the shop keeper is right. Coz the format and bitrate used for CD writing for video recording is different from DVD format and bitrate. If we want to have very good quality Video, 3CDs can not be accommodated in 1 DVD with the video format used for Video DVD burning. If you accommodate by reducing the bitrate the quality will be reduced.

Without thinking many experts were outright blaming the shopkeeper. I am glad better sense prevailed in the end. You also understood the point.

Pragadheesh

In the zone
but a (4.7GB)dvd movie can be ripped to just 700 mb using DrDivx and other rippers without loss of quality:)
believe it or not- I have X MEN 1,2,3 , Miniority Report , Pink Panther, 16 blocks , Forest Gump, Fun with dick and jane,Harry Potter and the goblet of fire in a 4.7GBDVD. also each of these films are of perfect quality.

manmay

Journeyman
@pragadheesh
are you sure its a 4.7 GB dvd and not a dual layer dvd (9.4GB) and pl dont get fooled by the sticker or the print on the dvd. try to chk the dvd using the nero info tool. m 90 % sure that 9 movies as stated by you cannot be stored on a dvd even in xvid or divx format. and movies like forrest gump are abt 3 hrs run time. that means the movies hav been converted to less than 450 MB each.
yes it can be done but will definitely recude the quality of the movies.
it has to be a dual layer dvd....

by the way in case m wrong .... i want this dvd......lol

S

SE><IE

Ramakrishnan said:
VCD 10mb/min
so in a 80 min cd is to be converted to DVD format, nearly three times space is required
Don't you think it is useless to convert .dat files to .vob files cuz there won't be any boost in the quality :grin:

Pragadheesh

In the zone
cool manmay, its just a single layer dvd. yes dude some films r less than 400MB. i converted to avi format using 1 Click dvd to divx avi.

if u wish mail me your address i can send a copy of d dvd. LOL :)

knoppix

Broken In
Friends,
I have the same query. If my DVD player supports VCD in .dat format and is also able to read DVD format, then y is thr the restriction of writing .dat files on DVD.
I mean i want to burn all the 6 VCD's on a single DVD in .dat format, but not as data disk. It should be compatable with DVD players.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
If you write .dat files in DVD and try to play it in DVD player, it won't play. If somebody want to convert .dat files to DVD format, they are welcome, but it will not give any quality boost. Since DVD players are capable of playing VCD as well, better stick with the VCD's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom