Caught speaking Malayalam, Apollo nurses asked to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.

appserver

Third Eye
I remember when I was studying sixth standard my school had an informal rule of kneel downing if we found speaking in our mother tongue [Tamil]. Though the intention was to improve our spoken english, the rule was a total trash.

Similarly I think this rule could have been designed as

1. Speak only in English with the patients [if he/she knows English].
2. Dont speak in an alien language to your colleagues in front of the patients.

IMO, these rules looks more sensible.

I remember when I was studying sixth standard my school had an informal rule of kneel downing if we found speaking in our mother tongue [Tamil]. Though the intention was to improve our spoken english, the rule was a total trash.

It was your fault you picked the school in the first place if you thought that was unbearably trash.

I on the other hand, had to endure uniforms for 15 years of schooling but had to bear with it since despite this negative, it was worth joining the schools due to quality of education.

Similarly I think this rule could have been designed as

1. Speak only in English with the patients [if he/she knows English].
2. Dont speak in an alien language to your colleagues in front of the patients.

IMO, these rules looks more sensible.
While what you say is correct technically, its still upto the management to decide.

appserver

Third Eye
It was your fault you picked the school in the first place if you thought that was unbearably trash.

I on the other hand, had to endure uniforms for 15 years of schooling but had to bear with it since despite this negative, it was worth joining the schools due to quality of education.

My fault? I was just 11-12 in that period. Do you still think that it was my fault?

Country like India where the poverty, casteism, untouchablity still exist, uniforms are for equality. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Country like India where the poverty,
casteism
untouchablity
still exist, uniforms are for equality. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:
Similarly countries like India where a lot of languages and their many
dialects
exist, English is for equality. Nothing wrong with that. :p

appserver

Third Eye
English for equality, in India? Now this scares me. Gautham, all metropolitan cities are just small part of India. Come out of that and think about villagers who are living most places in our country. To do agriculture, petty businesses their native language is more than enough.

Now considering the rest, I have seen many people complaining that they can't speak in English fluently and this has caused inferiority complex among the rest. English is an universal language, learning is a must, but using in India?

Yes there should be one common language in India, but why English? We have more than 100 languages already, making one of it as a common would be more sensible. Germany,France, Norway, Japan, China or Spain is not using English. They don't bother either..

The reason is that we rate English speaking people as superior, we love fair-skinned people and we do confuse between skin colour and the intellectualism. Yes, apparently we are racist! :-x

English for equality, in India? Now this scares me. Gautham, all metropolitan cities are just small part of India. Come out of that and think about villagers who are living most places in our country. To do agriculture, petty businesses their native language is more than enough.

Now considering the rest, I have seen many people complaining that they can't speak in English fluently and this has caused inferiority complex among the rest. English is an universal language, learning is a must, but using in India?

Yes there should be one common language in India, but why English? We have more than 100 languages already, making one of it as a common would be more sensible. Germany,France, Norway, Japan, China or Spain is not using English. They don't bother either..

I was just giving you an example.

The reason is that we rate English speaking people as superior, we love fair-skinned people and we do confuse between skin colour and the intellectualism. Yes, apparently we are racist! :-x
Thats dumb ideology. Who rates english speaking people as superior ?

The one and only reason I speak english is because a majority of people on earth speak it and it allows me to connect with all those. AND because its the easiest language to type on a keyboard. AND because I'm more comfortable with it than anything else.

Now lets replace it with something like Tamil. The only people I will be able to speak to are several million tamilians. Unlike the few billion I get to speak by learning english.

But enforcing one language on others sucks because that removes freedom of expression. The government has no right to do this.

But on the other hand, its perfectly legal to have PRIVATE hospitals enforcing english as a condition for employment, convents and madarasas enforcing christianity and islam respectively as religions, etc because these are designed for particular classes of people.

If you want freedom of speaking any language in the hospital you work in, either join a different hospital or start your own. Simple as that.

appserver

Third Eye
Thats dumb ideology. Who rates english speaking people as superior ?

Most of the population. It has become a fashion to converse in English. This is happening mostly in southern states where Hindi does not exist. If you are from Tamil Nadu especially Chennai, you could see this easily, anywhere. Right from Vegetable/fruit sellers to bouncers in the bars use crap pronunciation to the best. If you use [ Include me, how stupid I am :p] to get escalate in your career, its fine. But why you use it unnecessarily?

The one and only reason I speak english is because a majority of people on earth speak it and it allows me to connect with all those. AND because its the easiest language to type on a keyboard. AND because I'm more comfortable with it than anything else.

How many people in India are connecting like you? How many people in India are typing the keyboard? I am not talking about you at all. Please dont take it personal , I am just trying to figure out the whole Indian population not only a certain minor percentage.
Now lets replace it with something like Tamil. The only people I will be able to speak to are several million tamilians. Unlike the few billion I get to speak by learning english.

Perfectly correct! I want Hindi to be the national language. I don't want to talk in English to a fellow Indian. I want to speak Hindi to Hindi speaking, Tamil to Tamil speaking and English to English speaking. Period!

But enforcing one language on others sucks because that removes freedom of expression. The government has no right to do this.
Right! but it is the duty of our Government to safeguard the beauty of all the languages in our country. We have US/UK to take care of English.

But on the other hand, its perfectly legal to have PRIVATE hospitals enforcing english as a condition for employment, convents and madarasas enforcing christianity and islam respectively as religions, etc because these are designed for particular classes of people.
I agree! But the rule/condition should not be biased and it should be more sensible. What happened to these nurses [by the news] are ridiculous.

If you want freedom of speaking any language in the hospital you work in, either join a different hospital or start your own. Simple as that.
Speaking is illegal but punishing for using couple of words accidentaly or to greet is absurd.

Most of the population. It has become a fashion to converse in English. This is happening mostly in southern states where Hindi does not exist. If you are from Tamil Nadu especially Chennai, you could see this easily, anywhere. Right from Vegetable/fruit sellers to bouncers in the bars use crap pronunciation to the best. If you use [ Include me, how stupid I am :p] to get escalate in your career, its fine. But why you use it unnecessarily?

Using a language just to sound cool even when you are not good at speaking it and when it serves no purpose ?

Don't ask me. I only know *normal* people.

How many people in India are connecting like you? How many people in India are typing the keyboard? I am not talking about you at all. Please dont take it personal , I am just trying to figure out the whole Indian population not only a certain minor percentage.

A small number. But those who do have the same reason.

Perfectly correct! I want Hindi to be the national language. I don't want to talk in English to a fellow Indian. I want to speak Hindi to Hindi speaking, Tamil to Tamil speaking and English to English speaking. Period!

Ah... but why Hindi as the national language ? Just because a few Indians use it others must as well ? :p

For connnecting, OK, I learnt hindi. For "national language sake", NO WAY.

Right! but it is the duty of our Government to safeguard the beauty of all the languages in our country. We have US/UK to take care of English.

Survival of the fittest. Only the fittest survive in a natural environment. Not interfearing with people's languages is the best way to ensure justice by government.

I agree! But the rule/condition should not be biased and it should be more sensible. What happened to these nurses [by the news] are ridiculous.

What do you mean "biased" ? Its a place for a certain type of people. Others are welcome only if they agree to be like the type of people its designed for.

Speaking is illegal but punishing for using couple of words accidentaly or to greet is absurd.

If it was in the Terms of Employment, I have no reason to call it absurd. On the other hand, the fact that the nurses accepted employment despite knowing the terms under which they work is absurd. True, India has lack of jobs and people must bend a little to get employed, but forking over your personality and dignity for a job is a little unjustified.

appserver

Third Eye
Ah... but why Hindi as the national language ? Just because a few Indians use it others must as well ? :p
For connnecting, OK, I learnt hindi. For "national language sake", NO WAY.

I said national language because most of the Indians know Hindi and one common language would decrease many unnecessary confusions saving time, money and much many things.

Survival of the fittest. Only the fittest survive in a natural environment. Not interfearing with people's languages is the best way to ensure justice by government.

This logic is not acceptable. Survival of the fittest? Our national animal Tiger's population is just around 600. What you want it do? Now the Government is trying to save those 600 so atleast in future we could justify to our kids that our national animal is tiger. Similarly it is the duty of the Government to safeguard the languages, like animals, trees etc..

What do you mean "biased" ? Its a place for a certain type of people. Others are welcome only if they agree to be like the type of people its designed for.

This might take us off the topic, so I am just skipping it right now and probably lets talk in some other thread.

Sure. Let me move this to fight club. There we can debate more openly on freedom of language.

But for that I need enough guys to tell me to move this. We have you and me. Who else ?

dips_view

Broken In
The incident(Want Resignation for speaking in native language) isthe clear violation of human rights..Its also gags our constitution.
I really don't understand How some People Support/Justified it?

originally posted by NecleusKore
^+1
If it's in the contract, IT'S IN THE CONTRACT
Hey, Do u support bondage labor??????

Last edited:

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
There is s diff between bondage labour and signed contract... You can get out with bondage labour but not easy in signed contract.. cause its supported by/as per labour law. Want to know who i am ... As u r HR Dept

eBRo

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
They were speaking in private and it is intrusion into private lives by Apollo if the Nursing Superintendent overhears them greet each other. Contracts or agreements can not over-ride fundamental rights. Being Indian it is our fundamental right to speak any language we wish and can speak. As long as it is not hampering the work and in this case lives of other people can not be a case for dismissal – I can’t see how greeting each other jeopardises other’s lives.

I also agree with you.

Rahim

Married!
We just need mediator & karnivore in this thread and rest assure this thread will have a long life :D

I dont agree with NucleusKore & MHG. Dont you have any heart? especially you Neville bro since you are in that profession
In any case, speaking in native languages might jeopardise patient safety
Can some guy throw some light on the safety BS:?:
Next is what: One must use fork and spoon & not her hand to eat her rice and dal since Englishmen do so? Lame rules and disgusting for those supporting it.

Thread moved to Fight Club since its being converted to an open debate.
Have fun...........
......Till I reply later :p

appserver

Third Eye

Biased,I mean if the hospital superintendent, Usha Banerjee finds that her employee talks in Hindi or in Usha's mother tongue, instead of any other regional languages, then she should take similar action. Plain and simple!

Again I am repeating, we should completely oblige the rules and regulations of an organization. But accident or unfortunate mistakes should not punished to this extreme.

Biased,I mean if the hospital superintendent, Usha Banerjee finds that her employee talks in Hindi or in Usha's mother tongue, instead of any other regional languages, then she should take similar action. Plain and simple!

Again I am repeating, we should completely oblige the rules and regulations of an organization. But accident or unfortunate mistakes should not punished to this extreme.

Yes that should happen. But unfortunately, it does not because of mismanagement.

dips_view

Broken In
why don't u understand its its clear violation of civil liberty in the name of contract/management??
and also against our constitution...
Before 1947(!!??) WE were bound by British rules/contract/management.or we still bound to it??

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
why don't u understand its its clear violation of civil liberty in the name of contract/management??
and also against our constitution...
Before 1947(!!??) WE were bound by British rules/contract/management.or we still bound to it??

What is our constitution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom