Capped at 6 kilobytes per second?

Status
Not open for further replies.

faraaz

Evil Genius
Hi, I'm on the Airtel 999 per month 256 Kbps unlimited connection. I had two computers in my house which were internet enabled, one was right near the modem and the other was one floor above it connected through lan cable.

The lower comp got like 20 KiloBytes per second download speeds whereas the upper comp got max of like 6 KBps...I always thought this was because of the long LAN cable.

But recently, the lower comp has been sent to our office and the upper comp is now attached directly to the modem right next to where the modem is installed.

But I'm still getting only 6 KBps speed!! For example, right now, LP's new album is downloading...I have about 16-17 seeds and 5-10 peers...but my download speed doesn't budge above 6.0!

On the contrary, if I download something from download.com or tucows.com I get speeds of like 25.6 KBps...

WTH??! Why is this happening?

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
No.. he is right I am too facing this problem..
But only with torrentspy or demonoid torrents....

torrentleech is working fine and speedy for me...
I am using utorrent...
And I am on BSNL 900 Ul plan..

indian_samosa

No longer here..
thats because on private trackers one "has to " seed and maintain their individual ratios otherwise they risk their accounts being disabled.But on public trackers there is no such obligation...
One more thing..demonoid is not strict on ratios and such ...its almost a public tracker.Heck it is a public tracker...that is you dont need to have account with the site to download their torrents just as long as you can download the torrent file from somewhere else like Torrentspy or torrentz.

Moral of the story ...in private trackers people seed with their full might..and hence one gets awesome speeds...

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
There is a solution,... I found this morning...
Actually it's a solution by Choto_Cheeta.
He said that if your upload limit is too much less you won't get high download speed in case of demonoid and torrentspy.
So up your upload limit (10 kBps will do..) and you will see increase in download speed.

Also here is a screenie of my torrent settings...
*img527.imageshack.us/img527/4407/000xl1.th.jpg

In my global settings I have 22 kBps upload limit. But in per torrent setting its those shown above.
I am getting good speed after I configured utorrent.
Try it urself.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
My upload AND download speeds are at their deafult (unlimited) and I have not set anything apart from default settings. I use μTorrent if that's any help...

And I have this problem on ALL trackers...most of which I use are public...but on private trackers also I have this issue...(ilovetorrents.com torrent files mostly...)

Why is this happeneing?? :(

indian_samosa

No longer here..
@faraaz ..have u port forwarded ur modem ?? If you have setup everything right and still cannot find a solution to ur query then I guess the ISP must be throttling torrent traffic.
In utorrent there is a option Preferences >Bittorrent > protocol encryption > enable it ...

@quizmaster ...what u r saying is true...thats because of the way utorrent performs.If u set any upload speed 5 or less then 5 utorrent automatically limits ur download speed to 30 or less ... so what u have to do is set upload speed( global upload speed) to anything above 5 ..ie 6 or above.And then if u want u can individually set upload limits on the individual torrents...this wont affect the download limit.Just as u said.

Actually ur download speed depends solely on the peers to whom you connect.

Lets say if there are only 2 seeders and they are uploading at full speed ...so u will get good download speed ( the max download speed u can acheive depends on ur download speed and their upload speed) ....lets say if their upload speed is say 100KBps and ur download speed is only 30KBps..then u will get only 30KBps ..since in this case its ur net connection which is the limiter.Now say if ur download speed is 100KBps and theirs is 30KBps..then again u will only 30KBps...in this case its their net connection which is a limiter.

Mostly what happens is when people start off using torrents they dont know much about the torrent world...and they usually start using "public" trackers.Since they are newbies they dont forward their ports or dont care about uploading..so thats why other peers get low speeds. But as they progress in this torrent world ..they shift to private trackers.Here they just cannot maintain their lazy attitude( no offence to anyone ....I am describing my case here ;-) ) ...coz if they do ..they will get their butts kicked off that tracker in no time.So they visit HELP section ..read the RULES and FAQ ..and get to know about stuff like port forwarding and configuring their clients.I know it can be overwhelming for some...but usually they succeed.Once they have set up their systems properly...they can share properly.So this kind of people are more in private trackers and they share more so as to keep their ratios above 1.Thats why the speed soars in this private trackers.

Last edited:
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@indian_samosa: If ISP is throttling speeds, then how come I was able to get 20 kbps speeds on the same public torrents with my other computer?? :(

indian_samosa

No longer here..
Just for a change ...try some other client ...like azureus.If same thing occurs then its definately not related to ur utorrent ..problem must be some other then.

or u can do one thing ..delete ur utorrent from the system ..and download a fresh copy.

One more thing...when one is port forwarding he has to specify the server ip address ( which is the ip address of ur pc say for example 192.168.1.2) ..u might have forwarded for one pc ....but what about the other ..?? in this case u ll have to change the port forward settings of modem ..ie either change the server ip address ...OR ...change the ip address of ur pc to the one which u previuosly used.

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Whoa...I have no idea what you just said about that port thingy...I'll try another client though!

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@faraaz

Regarding port forward u may try this web site, *portforward.com/

2nd, How many seeders ?? did u see that ??

and also u must limit the upload speed, otherwise with ADSL conenction if u upload in high speed it will eat the bandwidth to slow ur Download speed, too, dont set any global limit, but set upload speed to 2kbps through individual torrent.... as said by Quiz_Master :D

Regarding Port forward, me too is not a big fan of it, My torrent setttings and many of my frnds with AirTel, BSNL, TATA ADSL gets full download speed without Port Forward, :)

indian_samosa

No longer here..
@faraaz ..you dont need to port forward your modem if you are using it in dialup mode....that is when u dial out using ur id and pass.But port forward is required when u r using ur modem like a router ...i mean when the id and pass are stored in the router.Dude dont worry lets try to solve ur problem.Just do these steps one at a time.

First tell us ...how u use ur modem ...?? Do you dial out ..kinda like when one uses dialup modem ?? OR ..do you just switch ON the modem..and u have internet connection automatically started ??

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
My ID and pass are stored on the router...I just boot up and Internet is automatically on.

Okay, I tried out Azureus...and in that also I am having my download speed capped at 6 KBps.

I was downloading today an episode of How I Met Your Mother (S02E13) and at the moment I have following:

Seeds 15(26)
Peers 8(77)
down speed - 6.0 KBps
up speed - 1.2 KBps

Also, I went to my LAN connection properties and I noted down the following details...I dunno if its of any help, but it can't hurt, hey?

Use The Following IP Address:

IP Address: 192.168.1.15
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Use the Following DNS Server Addresses:

Preferred DNS Server: 125.22.47.125
Alternate DNS Server: 202.56.250.5

Soo...what to do now?

indian_samosa

No longer here..
thats cool...which means the torrent clients are good.
Good that u provided ur ip details and how ur pc is setup.

Now ..try portforwarding the router.

Can we know what kinda router u have ??

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Router means that black thing with the blinking lights?? That would be a ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series...

Portforward my router...hmm...lets see if I can figure out how to do that...

Edit: I looked at the bottom of the thing and it said my model was Prestige 660r-T1...

I went in to the website you gave and followed their instructions and now portforwarding is set up on my system...

I'll get back in like 2 mins and tell you if it worked!

Edit2: DAMMIT IT ALL TO HELL! It didn't work...its still stuck at 6.2 KBps!

Last edited:

indian_samosa

No longer here..
type this in ur browser ..

*www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=22222 specify the port number u portforwarded ...instead of the 22222.

does it say green colored OK ...or not ??

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
faraaz said:
Router means that black thing with the blinking lights?? That would be a ZyXEL Prestige 600 Series...

Portforward my router...hmm...lets see if I can figure out how to do that...

Edit: I looked at the bottom of the thing and it said my model was Prestige 660r-T1...

I went in to the website you gave and followed their instructions and now portforwarding is set up on my system...

I'll get back in like 2 mins and tell you if it worked!

Edit2: DAMMIT IT ALL TO HELL! It didn't work...its still stuck at 6.2 KBps!
Running torrents from public trackers won't help. They are way too slow. Get a torrent from some private tracker and then see the speeds. I'm damn sure that you'll max out your speeds.

ps: It's very important that you increase the number of half-open connections. It's 10 by default. Change it to 100 and then see the difference.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
faraaz said:
Hi, I'm on the Airtel 999 per month 256 Kbps unlimited connection. I had two computers in my house which were internet enabled, one was right near the modem and the other was one floor above it connected through lan cable.

The lower comp got like 20 KiloBytes per second download speeds whereas the upper comp got max of like 6 KBps...I always thought this was because of the long LAN cable.

But recently, the lower comp has been sent to our office and the upper comp is now attached directly to the modem right next to where the modem is installed.

But I'm still getting only 6 KBps speed!! For example, right now, LP's new album is downloading...I have about 16-17 seeds and 5-10 peers...but my download speed doesn't budge above 6.0!

On the contrary, if I download something from download.com or tucows.com I get speeds of like 25.6 KBps...

WTH??! Why is this happening?

Check MY tutorial over HERE;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom