capabilty of corsair vx450

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
hi guys

recently bought the i5 along with corsair vx450 smps.

I want to know that can i add a 5850 card to this rig?

Will the vx450 power the 5850 with only 1tb hd considering no future upgrades only may add a soundcard.

going to use my old sparkle 8600gt until prices fall after fermi release.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ asigh

thanks buddy thats what i wanted to know

@ hell_storm2006

fermi is gonna get released after two months so why to wait till 2011?

i was trying to tell that prices of 5850 will drop after fermi release and maybe they release a card that can compete with 5850 at asme price point cause the top end will be out of reach.

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Sorry to tell you the sad story. Fermi is delayed once again! nVidia and its stupid dead- line miss!

*www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=21081

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ hell_storm2006

buddy there's a mistake in that site. it says "NVIDIA's next-gen GPUs won't ship until the first quarter of fiscal 2011. That gives us a window of anytime between January 26th and April 26th, 2010".

so that 2011 date is actually 2010 and is merely a typo.

after that it says "On the other hand, NVIDIA's cards could be ready to roll at the end of January - roughly a year after the graphics giant introduced its GeForce GTX 295, a product that stripped AMD of the single-card performance crown some twelve months ago".

so fermi will be launched in first quarter of 2010 not 2011.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
i guess ati wont skip to nextgen gpu architecture so soon.It takes a year or two.By the way fermi looks promising even after the launch of hemlock(5970).

ati's gonna have a hard time...........

Anubis

Courage to Know
Corsair VX 450 can by no means handle a ATI 5850.

1. It has 1 pcie molex connector
2. It can give max of 570w from wall.

Go for Corsair VX 550 - 5.5k

No Nvidia will release Fermi aka GT 300 in January

Ati will release Next Gen Hectanocheires is scheduled for q3/q4 2010.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^

Welcome to this forum Anubis.

I think the VX450 should be able to handle the HD5850.

1. It has one PCI.E 6 Pin connector, but it also has 6 molex connectors. Two of these can be easily converted to a PCI.E 6 Pin connector via molex---> PCI.E 6 Pin converter.

2. The max board rating for the HD5850 is : 170W.

*en.expreview.com/img/2009/09/14/AMD_Radeon_5800_TDP.png

*i30.tinypic.com/ncxgg8.png

Also if you see the total system consumption with a HD5850 involved:
*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5850/diagr/23_power%28xbt%29.png
Courtesy: xbit labs

See the 4th row from the top.That is the condition the OP will face. You could say that the red slice is near to 450W, but that is a situation which will rarely occur, unless the OP forces it. Furmark and Linpack x64 together. No real world application will simultaneously stress the system in this manner.

Anubis

Courage to Know
Yes u can convert it to 1 more PCIe connector but vx 450 @ 4.1k is not a gr8 vfm.

To be safe go for VX 550 or Glacialpower 650w - 4.67k

Thank you for the welcome asigh

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
The OP all ready has it...! :)
But I think he should be safe running the HD5850. What you think..?

Krow

Crowman
Its all about headroom and OP will have almost none with 5850 and VX450W. There will be no problems running the 5850 whatsoever, but adding another GPU is out of the question. I think the VX450W is a good PSU and can even handle more HDD's plugged to it after the 5850 is added.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
With HD5850 + VX450, the OP has enough headroom. ~100W.

In 100W he can attach a lot of peripherals, and be good to go. But yea, multi-GPU is out of the question for sure.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
It will suffice. The psu gives around 600w of DC output on 80~85 percent load (anything more than this is not recommended- at all!!) on ops temps of 40~50. Stick to this psu for the GC which consumes around 220~235w on load.

To make things more understandable for people who say don't go for this psu just because it has 1 pcie power connector :p, a 4870 with a dual core+ 4GB rams and 2-4 drives without any overclock works well with no flaw and 5870 consumes lesser than 4870, let alone 5850.

As far as glacialtech goes, there are 2 glacialtech 650A and 650AA. Its only glacialtech 650AA that is a good unit and market is flooded with 650A. When people are advising others, please bear some form of responsibility. If not, you're just making a mess of things for others :).

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
If if we do not take the extra juice available to the VX450 -- and just take '450W' as the figure, this PSU is more than enough for the OP.

It is perfectly all right that it has one PCI.E connector. One can be fabricated from the molex converter. Hell, most GPU manufactures include the same in the bundle. My 2nd Xfire card is running like that. Not the best solution, but is make do. Best to keep that rail free.

Whats the difference between the GlacialTech AA and A units. Shoot never new that. But I never recommended that too. Corsair is the way to go...!

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
^^ Glacialtech 650AA and 650A are 2 different OEM units with massive difference in the OEM's reliability, let alone the overall unit. So far, only 1 out of 15 units end up being a 650AA, so unless you dealer keeps on eye on such things or just got lucky, 650AA is a good unit for people on a budget, especially for people who can buy 48xx/58xx series cards and don't care about their systems by putting a worthy psu, making excuses that they cant "afford" to buy something that is going to protect their system.

AFAIK 650A is made by some crappy OEM, 650AA is made by CWT- who makes psu for thermaltake, corsair and many names but the psu is designed by glacialtech. so this unit is not the same 600/650w CWT flagship design. IIRC, it gives DC output of 733 W at 47.1º C and 86% efficient at 50% load. After sales service in India is unknown.

There's nothing wrong (speaking from a technical perspective) if one goes for glacialtech, as long as its a 650AA.

Last edited:

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
But the test by Xbit labs, they are using a 4GHz Core i7 i920..

*www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/radeon-hd5850/zcpu-z.png
*www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5850_4.html#sect0

So unless u OC ur Core i5 i750 to 4Ghz and game, the max system power consumption wont even touch 350W, u can hav my word on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom