Cant play media

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Hi guys,
I use Ubuntu6.06 on my box.
The problem is I cant play vcds in my comp.
1) Even after the CD is mounted, no icon appers in the desktop.
2) The contents of VCD do not appear in /media/cdrom but in /media/usbdisk:confused:
3)The movee file (music01.dat and others) do not appear in MPEGAV folder but in VCD folder.
4)I have the necessary codecs(i downloaded them using easyubuntu/automatix) but still all the media players i.e VLC, Kaffine, Totem, Xine give a warning that there aint any neccessary codec installed.

I feel kinda ashamed to say that the above problems do not exist in Windows 2000.*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

praka123

left this forum longback
VCDs are automatically played by totem.set ur preference using:
Menu>System>Preferences>Removable Medias and drives.
as for the 2nd problem check ur /etc/fstab file for drives and mount points.
Do U have w32codecs package installed
do refer below links.
*ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_install_Multimedia_Codecs
Code:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg gstreamer0.10-gl gstreamer0.10-plugins-base gstreamer0.10-plugins-good gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse w32codecs

also note that u can open a vcd or dvd from the player interface itself for eg: Xine player>Just press the dvd or vcd radio butten in the player control will play.

Btw if u want more features u can upgrade to feisty ubuntu. :)

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@praka123: Every other package is installed in my sys but in case of w32codecs, the terminal shows the following lines:
"Package w32codecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package w32codecs has no installation candidate"

I even tried installing it independently using the terminal but it shows:

"Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Building tag database... Done
No candidate version found for w32codecs
The following packages have been kept back:
app-install-data-commercial automatix2 kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data
kdelibs4c2a libqt3-mt libx11-6 libx11-dev linux-image-2.6.15-28-386
locales
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done"

praka123

left this forum longback
@dynosure:
so just download and install this.the correct way is to add the repository in /etc/apt/sources.list.Nyways save below file install by double clicking (i hope dapper got gdebi);if its not working open a terminal and browse(cd into) the location where u saved w32codecs.deb file :
Code:
~$cd /home/username
Code:
~$sudo dpkg   -i  w32codecs.deb
that's it.You can use the file manager(nautilus) to find where u downloaded the file.best is to save in ur /home/user dir.
link:
do follow these commands as instructed as below link says.it does the job easily.:)(as am bad in explaining things)
*www.cs.cornell.edu/~djm/ubuntu/#multimedia

if u want to have more multimedia s/ws,just add these lines to ur /etc/apt/sources.lst as below:
Code:
~gksudo gedit  /etc/apt/sources.list
and add:
Code:
deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu feisty-commercial main
in the end in a new line.

Also refer below link to know about what are these /etc/ /home/ etc these are all directories :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=479107&postcount=12

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
So, you don't have proper repositories enabled. Go to ubuntuguide.org it has detailed instructions on how to enable them. Once done you can easily install many additional softwares.
And yeah do upgrade those remaining softwares too, especially the kernel if not anything else.
And if you want to follow my suggestion just remove automatix, just a piece of junk. Nothing that a properly enabled repository can't do but automatix can.

prakash he's on dapper.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^ OK then he can edit it for dapper na?
edit as following:
Code:
deb *archive.canonical.com/ubuntu dapper-commercial  main

Last edited:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
cynosure : Once your done with installing you can save those deb files so you don`t have to download them again incase you reinstall.. You can find the deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/

OP
cynosure

cynosure

UbuntuUser
@praka123:
This line is already in the sources.list file.
And there is no folder like fstab in my /etc folder. Even the hda1 icon on the desktop has vanished and there are 3 icons in /media one for 1st CDriter (cdrom), 2nd for other CDriter(cdrom0) and 3rd for the HDD(hda1). When I insert any movee CD, one more folder called usbdisk appears, and when I insert any data cd, other folder called cdwriter appears. This surely is insane. The first two folders are blank like anything...

As for the movies, they are working fine now as I downloaded the w32codecs file. Thanks for that guys, but the other problems persist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom