cant install mandriva,suse,fedora

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
i am unable to install mandriva 2007,suse-10,fedora-6 in core-2-duo 2.0 ghz processor with the motherboard of intel pentium 965.so please help me.when i try to install the mandriva-07 it will show the error
unable to find the cd-rom device.
when i try with the knoppix live cd then it show the error like the filesystem is not found.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Try a distro with kernel 2.6.19 or higher. If possible try sabayon. It seems you have some controller which isn't well supported. I remember JMicron controllers giving lots of such problems. Don't know about it's status now.
More info on your rig may help.

OP
T

thecreativeboy

Journeyman
i didnt get ur words.you are telling in a technical way.so i didnt understand the words.please tell me what can i do?i am a new-bie to the linux as well as hardware.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Like Mehul pointed out,the 965's i/o controller hub(ICH8 doesn't have native PATA support.So a 3rd party JMicron ide controller is used which isn't supported by some older distros,hence it doen't detect your cd/dvd drive(which I presume is PATA).
You may try the fol.,failing which you'll need to go in for a newer distro.
- First disable AHCI in the BIOS and set it to EIDE.
- Then boot your distro with the fol parameter
Code:
linux all-generic-ide

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
^how?lets wait for teh release.for the time being Ubuntu feisty with 2.6.20+ kernels will do fine detecting the controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom