• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

Can't connect to net from xp but win98 works fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

serendipiti

Journeyman
I have a dual boot machine(PIII 667Mhz,256 mb,Intel810e)running win xp and win 98dual boot.From this morning i am having a strange prob.When dialling in to Sancharnet from Xp i constantly get"phone line is busy" error though from win98 i can connect with some difficulty.Listening to the modem sound seems to me that connecting takes little longer than normal.I have tried to increase the connection time out to a large value in xp but still no luck.
Please suggest a soln.
Thanx!

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Did u install ne new s/w in XP recently?

Seems that some s/w is accessing ur modem, thats why its saying phone line is busy?

OP
S

serendipiti

Journeyman
no i have wp installed for along time and was accesing the net qite regularly...it is from y'day that i am having the probs.The beeps following the time when i press"Dial"are longer and i guess that prompts XP to say the line is busy though Win98 hangs on and completes the connection.

OP
S

serendipiti

Journeyman
re-installed modem drivers and guess what the probs gone.Think 'twas more a prob with the phone line.Thanx anyway for ur replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom