Cant Burn DVD's on LG Drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aditya11

Journeyman
Hi guys,

I upgraded my pc a week ago and since then I am unable to write any dvd's! I can READ CD/DVD but unable to WRITE anything. I was using Nero 7 Ultra and even tried Deep Burner and in both cases whenever I click on the "Burn" button, the green light on the DVD writer flashes, no hdd activity and the dvd-drive makes faint noise as if dvd is spinning against something...my pc hangs after 2-3 minutes.

DVD Writer model number: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H12N (LG Brand)

I upgraded the firmware, but it didnt help either.

My System config is as below:

ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Mobo
1 GB DDR2 RAM
8600GTS 256MB
80GB HDD (IDE)

Before upgrading I could write CD/DVD without any propblem...dont know whats the problem now...can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Use a lens cleaner cd and try burning with a different-brand dvd.Also check the dma status of your writer.
Whic psu are you using?

OP
Aditya11

Aditya11

Journeyman
sashijoseph said:
Use a lens cleaner cd and try burning with a different-brand dvd.Also check the dma status of your writer.
Whic psu are you using?

I have been experimenting with various DMA settings with 40/80 conductor IDE Cable. Since I do not have SATA HDD, a single IDE Cable supports both hdd (master) and dvd-writer (slave). My Mobo supports UDMA mode but apprently my dvd write has problems with that. I disabled UDMA for 1. DVD-Write 2. HDD 3. BOTH, thru BIOS and its giving me confusing results. I CAN write DVD when BOTH writer and hdd udma mode are disabled (and are on multi-word DMA mode), but its taking ATROCIOUSLY long time (THREE TIMES longer than before for standard 4.7GB DVD). And even then, at one time it would write while another time it wont until I restart system! This is so strange and confusing.

My PSU is Powersafe Gold 400W.

casual_gamer said:
what exactly did you upgrade?

The Firmware. Try Googling with model number and you should get it.

casual_gamer

In the zone
Aditya11 said:
The Firmware. Try Googling with model number and you should get it.

but here you say

Aditya11 said:
Hi guys,

I upgraded my pc a week ago and since then I am unable to write any dvd's! I can READ CD/DVD but unable to WRITE anything.

Anyway, if your motherboard is has Intel chipset then install "Intel Application Accelerator", this software will automatically enable DMA and will speed up your pc. It might solve your DMA problems, try it.

OP
Aditya11

Aditya11

Journeyman
casual_gamer said:
Anyway, if your motherboard is has Intel chipset then install "Intel Application Accelerator", this software will automatically enable DMA and will speed up your pc. It might solve your DMA problems, try it.

Seems I was not clear about "upgrade" thing. I upgraded my SYSTEM a week back (without dvd-writer) but seeing that DVD-Writer developed problem AFTER the upgrade, I downloaded the latest firmware and applied it, which didnt solve the problem. Hope that clears the case.

I have AMD Motherboard, which has ATI drivers for mobo chipset so no Intel s/w for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom