Canon launches "50x optical zoom" PowerShot SX50 HS camera

Rockstar11

Technomancer
And the zoom race continues.

*asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/09/16/HR_SX50HS_3QOPEN_CL_edited-2_610x344.jpg

After Nikon's 42x zoom P510 arrived earlier this year and the announcement of Olympus' 40x zoom Stylus 820UZ iHS in August, I thought maybe we'd reached a limit. Canon's PowerShot SX50 HS blows right by, though, with a 50x 24-1,200mm lens.

Its predecessor, the SX40 HS, had a mere 35x 24-840mm lens, so the jump out to 1,200mm is substantial, but not without penalty. The aperture range for the SX40 was f2.7-f5.8, but it gets considerably slower for the SX50: f3.4-6.5. This is helped some by the 12-megapixel BSI CMOS sensor, but you'll likely need to use its high ISO settings, which now goes up to ISO 6400.

here's also the matter of keeping such a long lens steady and locked onto your target. To help keep subjects framed when zoomed in, there's a Zoom Framing Assist that pulls the lens back so you can find your subject and then zooms back in. Along with that, Canon added a button to lock optical image stabilization onto the center of the frame. Improvements have been made to Canon's AF system, too, for faster focusing and less shutter lag than previous SX-series models.

To accompany its electronic viewfinder, Canon used a 461K-dot-resolution 2.8-inch vari-angle LCD screen. Shooting modes seem consistent with the SX40, including semimanual and manual modes and Canon's Smart Auto that can now determine the best settings based on 58 pre-defined shooting situations.

Lastly, Canon finally added 12-bit raw capture giving you some more flexibility with post processing. However, past models haven't exactly been speed demons, so I'm wary of how much this will slow down performance. Also, longer lenses on compact cameras rarely, if ever, translate into better photos and video. No way of telling until I get my hands on one for review, though.

The Canon PowerShot SX50 HS arrives in October for $479.99.

source: Canon PowerShot SX50 HS takes long zoom title - Digital cameras - CNET Reviews

*www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_SX50HS/features/sx50hs_feature_01a.jpg

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot SX50 HS

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
@dr.house yes it captures 12-bit RAW files so that u can edit it later....50x zoom is incredible but how it performs is imp...P510 is already flop due to poor focus...

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
SX50 would be a killer with tripod as f/6.5 at 1200mm end wont allow handheld shots in anything but bright conditions.

High ISO performance of SX40 was very good and this cam will probably have the same IQ.

amir_nandolia

Right off the assembly line
It really looking so impressive. But one thing which i really want to know that whether this product provide 3d photography too? and at what price rate (apprx.) it is going to launch in India? :|

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Dr.house sony HX200 is a hit...it have good focus speed ...enough zoom...lots of funky features :)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
50x zoom on a 24-1200mm lens is going to suck, big time.
Just another marketing tactic from canon. :-(

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Zoom is for FAT people who hate walking to the subject or those with so rough steps that they would shoo away rock.

s.gopal

Right off the assembly line
canon new launch is really smashing...i like its 50x zoom capability...soon i will buy this cam. :lol:

rider

as Kratos
What about new pana FZ200? flipkart.com priced for 34,290
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Point & Shoot: 12.1 Megapixels: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

sujoyp

Grand Master
Zoom is for FAT people who hate walking to the subject or those with so rough steps that they would shoo away rock.

Hilarious comment bro:lol:

@prashant ....by giving that long zoom canon have to improve on each and everything...focus speed,aperture,image stabilisation etc ....will wait for the review

OP
Rockstar11

Rockstar11

Technomancer
Re: Canon launches "50x optical zoom" PowerShot SX50 HS camera

^ Useful when taking images of birds, insects, moon, or getting a good bokeh effect, sports etc

+1
50x optical zoom is good for wildlife photography. :)

Faster Focus and High-speed Shooting.
High Speed AF greatly improves focus speed and High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 10 frames* while maintaining superb image quality.

The PowerShot SX50 HS is equipped with Canon's latest advancement in AF technology: High Speed AF. The result of several improved technologies, High Speed AF delivers significantly faster focus speed of 0.19 seconds and a dramatically reduced shooting lag time of only 0.25 seconds, for a super-responsive shooting experience that lets you capture every great shot as it happens. The technology also powers the camera's new High-Speed Burst HQ, with continuous capture at a maximum speed of approximately 13 fps. Moreover, images captured in High-Speed Burst HQ maintain the camera's superb image quality.
*www.usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_SX50HS/features/sx50hs_feature_04a.jpg

Top Bottom