cannot install ORACLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
i want to install oracle 8i but after installlation is complete net8 config starts and asks for my machine's IP address and service name.

When i try to start SQL+ it asks for username password and host string when entered everything is gives me the error

TNS:protocol adapter error

please help me to solve this problem.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Make sure the TNSListener and the OraHome services are started on your PC. If you're running Windows 2000/XP/2003, go to Start>Run and type in services.msc and press Enter. In the Services window that opens up, check if all the Oracle services, especially the TNS-related services are set to "Automatic" and their status is shown as "Started". If you do not do this, you will get the exact same error you are getting. As for your own machine's IP address, you can always enter localhost or 127.0.0.1.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
To start the TNS listener, go to the Command Prompt and type in:

net start Oracle<HOME_NAME>TNSListener

wherr <HOME_NAME> is the name of the Oracle Home that you entered during installation of Oracle, usually OraHome or something like that.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, could you please execute the following command and post the contents back here?

Got to the command prompt, and type in

net start > c:\list.txt

Then quit the command prompt and look for the list.txt file in your Local Disk (C:). Open the file in Notepad, copy its contents and paste it here.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Ok, that means the command is working properly but the listener service isn't set up yet? Have you finished configuring the Net8 config? If not, follow these steps:

Open the Net8 Configuration Assistant. From the Welcome screen, click Next and then select "No" at the next screen to manually create net service names. In the "Naming Methods" window, accept the default value (Local) and then click Next. You will asked which version of the Oracle database or service you want to access. Select Oracle8i and then enter the name of the database (the one you set up Oracle with) It will be in the form of oracle.world, where you can replace oracle with your own database name (SID)

At the next screen, select TCP and enter 127.0.0.1 in the IP address and select the port as 1521 (default) Then, you will be prompted for a login test. Select "Yes, perform test" and if everything is working properly, you will have a successful login test. If this works properly, click Finish and then exit and you should be able to connect to your database via SQL*Plus.

EDIT: Are you sure you selected "Install as a service" when prompted to do so during the installation of Oracle8i's TNS service when you configured the database name and the way it started and stopped, etc.?

OP
H

harshagarwal

Journeyman
Are you sure you selected "Install as a service" when prompted to do so during the installation of Oracle8i's TNS service when you configured the database name and the way it started and stopped, etc.?

where do you select this option "install as a service"

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
As far as I know Oracle 8i does not work on Windows 98 !!!! Only the client can be installed. Only personal Oracle is designed to work in Windows 98. I will check this up more and keep u updated.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Hmmm, I thought he was using the Personal Oracle 8i installation. :? Anyway, I remember Oracle 8i asking me whether I wanted the webserver/TNSListener registered as services and to be started automatically at startup when I installed it on Windows ME for a friend. So I dont know why he's not getting that option, and since its not registered as a service and hence cannot be started with the 'net start' command. In any case, I will have to go through the documentation to be doubly sure. Time to head over to the OTN forums! :D

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
That only happens with Personal Oracle. The 8i enteprise edition doesnt even do an OS check. This only happens 9i onwards. It will go ahead and install on Windows 98 without errors but u just cant work with the damn thing.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Oh, OK. Well, its been an eternity since I worked with Personal Oracle or Windows 98 and I think the only databases I am completely familiar with are 9i and 10g. So, what does he do? Switch to PO, 9i or 10g? And although the 10g Personal Edition is free for download, somehow the download-east/west servers of Oracle seems to be down and a lot of people (including yours truly) gave up on downloading it. :D BTW, cant you install the listeners as a service manually or something?

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Well I gave up working with Oracle on Windows about 2 years ago. I strictly run Oracle on Linux mainly Redhat. The amount of mess Oracle creates in a windows installation is a lil difficult to clear up. As far as I know listeners are created as part of the service in Windows. So you would need to use the Oracle Installer to install the necessary services.

If he cannot switch his OS to atleast windows 2000 then he would need to atleast switch to personal Oracle 8. I dont think personal Oracle10g works with 98.

Enoo if you need CD's for the 10g db let me know. I can get u those no issues.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
No, you're right, 10g does not again work with 98, and short of switching OSes or the database to PO8, he might be out of luck. But I wonder why it even installs though. They dont put an OS check in or what, every third party, small-time program checks for a compatible OS before installing itself. :? As for 10g, thanks for the offer, and I will take it up when I need it. :D Right now, about the only database I use is 9i on Windows and mySQL on Linux.

OP
H

harshagarwal

Journeyman
thanx you people for the help you all have given me.

well i will be trying to go for Oracle 8i personal,since i require oracle only for a month or so.

thanx all you people again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom