can you guide me sir

sss

Right off the assembly line
i am a btech passout in IT this year. can u guide me sir. its been 4 months after the btech and have no job. at this stage i know the basics of java,c..
also , can you guide me what a software developer profile person actually does. do i have to be very good at coding , , i am not been able to focus..

the main problem is that i am not getting proper direction and also am not able to 100% decide what to do. after may's final sem exam, i have given 3 bank exams for PO just to grab the coming opportunity, but even while preparing for that my heart ws not totally in it, i fared badly,although the results are awaited. within no time, june-sep has passed and am still on the same page, getting disappointed and losing the confidence in myself. i have a psu exam of engineers india ltd on 9th but i dont know even if i clear the written what to do to get a job or perform well at that. i only know the basics of c,c++,php but am not strong in any of them, my logical skill isn't very good., but i have no other option but to give my best in it
sector only. i have certificates in java of sun but i dont really like it, i find php much good but currently i have forgotten all about it too. am just wasting my precious time, fooling myself and my family but i dnt know how to prepare or wht to focus on..what do u suggest sir?

Minion

Conversation Architect
First decide which way you want to go Java has very good opening now php too but they are asking for experience and again you will be paid less as php developer if you are good in apti and reasoning then try as fresher. you don't have option to choose domain though And in India these IT guys are too dumb most of company will force you a domain according to their requirement so a fresher really don't have any choice.even we have good knowledge in particular domain as a fresher we have no choice at all.

My suggestion is if you have good knowledge in C,C++ you can opt for embedded course at CEDAC in Hyderabad you have to give a entrance exam though but they will provide placement for the same.

Santa Maria!

Journeyman
I'm in a *somewhat* similar situation as you, sss. I've been placed, but have no idea when joining is or even if my placement was all fake or not.

Anyway in my case, I'm using all this idle time to improve my current skills, and learn new technologies... all the while looking for opportunities through job-sites, etc.

To specify, I currently know C++ & the desktop-related parts of .NET (C#, WPF etc). However, looking at job openings for freshers, I see that most opportunities are web-related. ie. ASP.NET, PHP, JSP, HTML, CSS, Javascript. Since I do not know these technologies, I have spent the last month learning HTML, CSS and web-standards. Then I plan to move on to Javascript, then ASP.NET MVC. To keep current skills sharp, I'm also working on a hobby project in C# & WPF on the side... so I don't get out of touch.

I told you all that so that you may try something similar. You say you know the basics of some languages. You need to improve your proficiency in them by working on hobby projects. Focusing on web related stuff (you mentioned PHP) might be wise, too.

As your hobby project builds up to a decent extent, you can then put it on your CV. This kind of thing helps you to stand out from the crowd and can make it easier for you to be shortlisted via Naukri.com etc.

So keep looking for external opportunities, pray for pool-campus thingys. But all the while, pick one or two technologies that interest you like Java, PHP and start diving deep into them.

That's all we can do, man. It's pretty tough out there :/

crazylamhe

Broken In
i am a btech passout in IT this year. can u guide me sir. its been 4 months after the btech and have no job. at this stage i know the basics of java,c..
also , can you guide me what a software developer profile person actually does. do i have to be very good at coding , , i am not been able to focus..

the main problem is that i am not getting proper direction and also am not able to 100% decide what to do. after may's final sem exam, i have given 3 bank exams for PO just to grab the coming opportunity, but even while preparing for that my heart ws not totally in it, i fared badly,although the results are awaited. within no time, june-sep has passed and am still on the same page, getting disappointed and losing the confidence in myself. i have a psu exam of engineers india ltd on 9th but i dont know even if i clear the written what to do to get a job or perform well at that. i only know the basics of c,c++,php but am not strong in any of them, my logical skill isn't very good., but i have no other option but to give my best in it
sector only. i have certificates in java of sun but i dont really like it, i find php much good but currently i have forgotten all about it too. am just wasting my precious time, fooling myself and my family but i dnt know how to prepare or wht to focus on..what do u suggest sir?

Indian market is flooded with IT companies. :grin:
That said, there's also the toughest competition out there in this field only :? The B.Tech ones not only compete with B.C.A/M.C.A but also with the ones simply doing Jetking, NIIT etc., There are many more too. If you graduate from an average college getting average grades, you may(not will) get the average jobs at most ! Firstly, after doing B.Tech, drop the idea of giving Bank exams ! Now, boost your communication skills, then apply for a job. Which part of India do you reside ?? How is the IT Hub there ? If you happen to come to Banglore, there you may find several candidates of that sort, having a proper plan and looking ahead only ! As Minion suggested, there will be institutes making you proficient in a particular field !If you plan to go for higher studies, the best option remains to be checked !All the Best :thumbs:

ssb1551

Technomancer
@ sss - dude where do you stay?? I would suggest you move to either B'lore/Chennai/Hyderabad/Noida/Pune. These cities are a gold mine of jobs for fresher. And follow the below link :
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/career-planning-progression/147559-what-after-batch-2012-a.html

The link has valuable inputs from experienced members & they have mentioned what all skills are required. From what I got from that thread was for a fresher all one needs is good communication skills & average coding skills. Just read all the posts in the afore-mentioned thread & you can come to a conclusion. But the most important point is if you aint in 1 of the cities mentioned above then you gotta get there ASAP!! You cant expect to get IT jobs in Tier II & III cities as a fresher.

Last edited:
Top Bottom