Can we use two GFX cards of diff. brands???

rahulbalmuri

ωιтн gяєαт gяαρнι¢ѕ......
what happens if i use GF106-based GeForce GTS 450 on one PCI slot...and any other ATI 1GB card on the other slot...???

Any problems occur...or is it better to SLi By using two NV's or crossfire two ATi's??????

Thank you...

Cilus

laborare est orare
For SLI you need two exactly same cards from nVidia but you can have them from different brands like an Asus GTX 460 and XFX GTX 460.

For Crossfire, you need two AMD cards of same series, not exactly the same card. For example you can Crossfire a HD 6870 with a HD 6850/HD 6870 or a HD 6970 with a HD 6950.

d3p

PowerHouse
what happens if i use GF106-based GeForce GTS 450 on one PCI slot...and any other ATI 1GB card on the other slot...???

Any problems occur...or is it better to SLi By using two NV's or crossfire two ATi's??????

Thank you...

IMO You can use both of them, without any issues, if the Nvidia Card is configured as Physx card & AMD's as Primary Card. But for SLI or CF, you need two identical Nvidia Cards or AMD Cards respectively....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Will not run, unless you use hacked drivers. The nVidia PhysX card will not work cause the driver "tells" it not to work, if the primary accelerator is non-nVidia.

doomgiver

Warframe
there is a company Lucid, that has a solution
Lucidlogix with the multi-GPU solution
Lucid Logix HYDRA tech brings together any GPUs for powerful matrimony -- Engadget

why didnt anyone think of doing this before?

i really wish it becomes mainstream.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
As of now, CF scaling and performance is better than SLI.

Sli was always better than cf with the exception of this generation gpu's. Cf is scaling very well now and is par with sli and sometimes even surpasses it.

This generation, amd gpu's scale better because of the extra framebuffer their cards come with relative to their nvidia counterparts.

Let me give an example:

We all know that gtx 570 is a stronger gpu than 6950. Its ahead in almost all benchmarks. But at higher resolutions the gap closes pretty much. In their respective multi gpu setups, 6950 cf performs and scales better than 570 sli because the former comes loaded with 2gb vram while the latter only has 1.25gb.

So the 570 is held back at higher resolutions and cannot scale as good as a 6950 duo. Nvidia must take this matter seriously on its future gpu's.

Some board makers are taking the initiative and making custom designs with extra vram. The zotac and palit gtx 580's come with 3gb vram instead of 1.5gb on the reference design.

If we compare 580sli with 6970cf, the 3gb version will increase the performance gap between 580 and 6970 at higher resolutions and allow the gpu to perform more efficiently without sacrificing fps.

d3p

PowerHouse
How much performance boost will be there if crossfire with HD5770???

^^ You will get 85-90% boost.

^^ok...& it will be comparable to which single GPU card???

@Zangetsu: you can compare the performance of two 5770 with 5870, but not with 6870.

@ Vickybat : With the price of two 5770 [7k * 2], OP can get a single 6870 [12k], which beats 5770 CF from top to bottom & can save some cash on getting a new PSU too.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ 5870 is faster than 6870 but the former has less tesselation performance. But yes its wise to sell off the existing 5770 and get a new powerful card. A 6870 @ 12k is a good choice and op will see noticiable performance increment.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Vicky, even I'm not sure with 85-90% performance in case of a HD 5XXX series card crossfire. Actually AMD 6XXX series cards offer better Crossfire scaling than their 5XXX series brother. 5XXX series scaling is not that much except in few games.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sli was always better than cf with the exception of this generation gpu's. Cf is scaling very well now and is par with sli and sometimes even surpasses it.
GTX 400 series especially GTX 460 had better SLI scaling. Before that it was about the same.

In the current generation CrossfireX scaling isn't surpassing SLI "sometimes", rather most of the times.

HD 6950 1GB CF is better than GTX 560 1GB SLI by 5-10% and this was already argued to death in the GTX 560 thread.

HD 6950 2GB CF is surpassing GTX 570 SLI at lower resolutions too (not only at high). Again down to superior scaling for whatsoever reasons.

^^ You will get 85-90% boost.
More like 60-70% on the average and further more depending upon the game. Benchmark sites only choose cherry picked games which perhaps they think would offer good scaling and yet they come across scaling problems.

rchi84

In the zone
I second the link that Doomgiver posted. Lucid Logic is supposed to enable cross GPU combinations.

the only issue is that there are very few motherboards which carry it. I also think that if it starts to sell well, then Nvidia and AMD will block it on driver levels, because it threatens their business model.

So to answer OP's question, it is possible theoretically, but practically limited.

doomgiver

Warframe
well, i think it'll just take 2-3 instruction cycles per api call.
if you have a good enough rig, its not going to be noticible

Top Bottom