can u name it????

Status
Not open for further replies.

dikudik

Journeyman
Hi, everybody

"Con" is A Reserverd Word in Dos as normally if u want to create A Text File in Dos we used command like Copy con <Filename.Ext" so Con is reserved word so u cant create a folder or file name with the same name.
So I think is this the only reason why u all were unable to create Folder called "Con"

Ok
Take care all of u
Bye
Dont Worry Be happy
:)

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
rajas said:
I was able to name a folder CLOCK$ it worked for me. the rest didnt work. Saurav watch out.

This is what Microsoft have to say Regarding File Names in Windows XP Professional
same here for me

anomit

In the zone
saurav_cheeta said:
talk about finding na.... see what i have came up with..... try this names... they wont wokr also...

CLOCK$
AUX
COM!
COMn
LPT1
PRN
NUL
CONFIG$

why not.... as they are reserved words used for DOS Devices.....

CLOCK$ => System clock
CON => Console; combination of keyboard and screen to handle input and output
AUX or COM1 => First serial communicationport
COMn => Second, Third, ... communicationport
LPT1 or PRN => First parallel port
NUL => Dummy port, or the "null device" which we all know under Linux as /dev/null.
CONFIG$ => Unknown

Quite old trick,man. These were present in the IO.SYS file in MS-DOS and Win 98 still supports real time MS-DOS environment.

Actually, there is an old trick to BSOD windows using these path strings. Should I tell or not? Your command.

anomit

In the zone
Ok, to workaround make sure you dot wanna run any old DOS programs which may be using these devices.
Find the file ntio.sys and open it from DOS prompt with the command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\EDIT ntio.sys /70

Or you can hexedit the file with HexEditor v2.3. Locate the strings COM,CON etc. and change their HEX values to null. This would be much easier.

Rename anything you find like CON,LPT,COMn etc. etc. to what you wish.

:!: CAUTION I dont think you would be able to type anything in the DOS prompt after this. So backup this file first and then proceed. I wont be responsible for anything.

Ashish

Broken In
mohit wrote:
not working on my sys also ... have u tried it in win 98 ? anybody with win98 plz check it out. and this is an interesting piece of info... this shud in the next months "take a crack - make a folder named con in xp" ....lol.

No prob wit Win98. Can create it.

I also have win98, i wasn't able to rename any folder with the given names.
How were u able to rename @dataone. :?: :?: :?: :?:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
anomit said:
Ok, to workaround make sure you dot wanna run any old DOS programs which may be using these devices.
Find the file ntio.sys and open it from DOS prompt with the command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\EDIT ntio.sys /70

Or you can hexedit the file with HexEditor v2.3. Locate the strings COM,CON etc. and change their HEX values to null. This would be much easier.

Rename anything you find like CON,LPT,COMn etc. etc. to what you wish.

:!: CAUTION I dont think you would be able to type anything in the DOS prompt after this. So backup this file first and then proceed. I wont be responsible for anything.

well yes this is a work around.... work around to creat more problem.... :x

anomit

In the zone
Well man, I gave this workaround to show how can it be done and where these strings are located, not to make life easier for anyone. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom